Looking for a new Audiobook for long runs!

Options
MoreBean13
MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
Hi All- I'm looking for a new audiobook to listen to on long runs- I specifically say "audiobook" because sometimes books don't do well in that format- and it needs to be really interesting and engaging to keep my attention while slogging out miles.

I like most fiction- mysteries seem to be good for this type thing- not really in to sci-fi, and NO to Fifty shades of Grey. :laugh:
Open to any other fiction suggestions, prefer unabridged! (I like non-fiction too, but not for running). Thanks!

P.S. If you've never tried audiobooks for running, it's a great way to pass the time on long runs. Not great for intervals or higher intensity. One bad winter I had to do all of my half marathon training on a treadmill, and the audiobooks were the only thing that kept me going- I ONLY listened to them while running, so I had to run to find out what was happening! (At that time it was either Dan Brown or Steig Larsson that I was listening to)

Replies

• legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I got nothing, I just feel bad no one responded.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I don't have any recommendations but I do agree that it's a good way to pass the time while running, I do the same but with podcasts. I have about 8 that I regularly listen to and they always keep my mind occupied.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    The Hunger Games! I have listened to the first book on one of my long runs and it is GREAT!! Best, audiobook I've listened to.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I just finished a few (on runs):

Woman in Black (so much better than the movie)
    In the woods (a GOOD mystery) (and others by Tana French)
    The Various Haunts of Man (and others by Susan Hill)

and for more FUN than quality (but still good!)

First Grave on the Right
    Second Grave on the Left
    Third Grave Dead Ahead

Fun mysteries about a PI who's also the grim reaper.

I'm currently listening to Interred with their Bones. Kinda like DaVinci code but about Shakespeare. Not my favorite.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Flanagan's Run by Tom McNab.
    Its a great read, but also works well as an audiobook.
    It's the story of a road race across the US in the middle of the 1930's depression - a great story and especially good when you are running.

Or: The Time Traveller's Wife, Water for Elephants (the book is better than the movie), My Family and other animals by Gerald Durrell.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Thanks Guys! I'm going to start looking some of these up right away! Keep 'em coming if you think of more!
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Two series that I love on audiobook are Harry Potter (DON'T JUDGE ME!) and A Great and Terrible Beauty and it's two follow ups (also young adult, but great fun)

The only connections between the two is that they involve magic and are read by British people, haha.
  • ssbarfarkle
    ssbarfarkle Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed "All The Pretty Horses" I think Brad Pitt narrates.
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i'm jealous you can listen to books and retain the info. i get confused listening to books, i'm very much a learner by reading and that's it.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    i'm jealous you can listen to books and retain the info. i get confused listening to books, i'm very much a learner by reading and that's it.

Actually, I used to think I couldn't either, but with the right conditions and the right book I've grown to love them! You have to be able to sort of blank out of what you're doing- long runs once you've built enough endurance that you're just basically cruising, are perfect. And the book has to be really engaging- which is why I started this particular thread. If your mind wanders away from the book, it does make it difficult to pay attention to what's going on, and its not as easy to go back and reread a paragraph.

I guess what I'm saying is maybe try one of the suggestions and give it another shot! It really does help pass the time. It would probably be great for people that do long cardio workouts on ellipticals and other cardio machines, too.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Two series that I love on audiobook are Harry Potter (DON'T JUDGE ME!) and A Great and Terrible Beauty and it's two follow ups (also young adult, but great fun)

The only connections between the two is that they involve magic and are read by British people, haha.

I would never judge Harry Potter! I pre-ordered all my books from Amazon and spent several days holed up reading them right away when they came. I actually stopped seeing the movies because I loved the books so much and felt that the movies were second-rate compared to the books.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Flanagan's Run by Tom McNab.
    Its a great read, but also works well as an audiobook.
    It's the story of a road race across the US in the middle of the 1930's depression - a great story and especially good when you are running.

Or: The Time Traveller's Wife, Water for Elephants (the book is better than the movie), My Family and other animals by Gerald Durrell.

The only one I've read from this list is Water for Elephants- and I bet it would make a beautiful audiobook (didn't see the movie)! I'm going to look in to the others, thanks!
  • MoreBean13
    Options

First Grave on the Right
    Second Grave on the Left
    Third Grave Dead Ahead

I'm currently listening to Interred with their Bones. Kinda like DaVinci code but about Shakespeare. Not my favorite.
    Never read any of these- checking it out! Thank you!
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    The Hunger Games! I have listened to the first book on one of my long runs and it is GREAT!! Best, audiobook I've listened to.

I read the books, but I bet they would make really good audiobooks!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I read the books, but I bet they would make really good audiobooks!
    They were great fun as audiobooks!
  • sarahrobin
    sarahrobin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love listening to the Harry Dresden books - the author is Jim Butcher. I also like listening to Janet Evanovich books on tape. They are funny and cute.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

First Grave on the Right
    Second Grave on the Left
    Third Grave Dead Ahead

Never read any of these- checking it out! Thank you!
    The ones about the grim reaper are really entertaining and fun mysteries. Just the right "speed" for running.

PS: thanks for starting this thread. I made one once, but no one replied.:sad:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I love listening to the Harry Dresden books - the author is Jim Butcher. I also like listening to Janet Evanovich books on tape. They are funny and cute.
    What are the Harry Dresden books about?
  • nwhitley
    Options
    And don't forget about podcasts too. They are great to listen to while running.
  • nwhitley
    Options

I understand what you mean. The easiest way to get into them is to read the book before hand so that when you listen to the audio version you don't have to really pay attention to know what's going on. After a couple of times of that, you will get to where you can listen and run at the same time.