Looking for a new Audiobook for long runs!

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    And don't forget about podcasts too. They are great to listen to while running.

Do you have any suggestions? I listen to a couple different ones, but mostly science nerd stuff that is better suited for sitting at my desk.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Janet Evanovich myself.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options

Do you have any suggestions? I listen to a couple different ones, but mostly science nerd stuff that is better suited for sitting at my desk.

I'm a teacher so I usually listen to podcasts related to teaching ideas, so probably not interesting to you, lol. But, on itunes the podcasts are divided into different cateogories- like education, games and hobbies, news, health. So, you can find ones that are appealing to you.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    The ones about the grim reaper are really entertaining and fun mysteries. Just the right "speed" for running.

PS: thanks for starting this thread. I made one once, but no one replied.:sad:
    I thought this one was going to be a sinker too- thanks to legs-n-bacon for reviving it!
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I'm a fan of Janet Evanovich myself.

I also love Evanovich! I've read all the books, but most of them were a while ago so it might be worth giving them another shot as audiobooks! Thanks!
  • sarahrobin
    sarahrobin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love listening to the Harry Dresden books - the author is Jim Butcher. I also like listening to Janet Evanovich books on tape. They are funny and cute.
    What are the Harry Dresden books about?

They are about a wizard in Chicago. He is the only practicing wizard and helps the police solve supernatural crimes. It doesn't sound terribly interesting but there are some moments of great wit and humor. The story lines are captivating. I'll admit- I only started listening to them because they are read by James Marsters (he played Spike on Buffy). He does such a fantastic job with the books. I am on the 4th book and they just get better and better.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I love listening to the Harry Dresden books - the author is Jim Butcher. I also like listening to Janet Evanovich books on tape. They are funny and cute.

They are about a wizard in Chicago. He is the only practicing wizard and helps the police solve supernatural crimes. It doesn't sound terribly interesting but there are some moments of great wit and humor. The story lines are captivating. I'll admit- I only started listening to them because they are read by James Marsters (he played Spike on Buffy). He does such a fantastic job with the books. I am on the 4th book and they just get better and better.
    Actually- that sounds pretty interesting! On the list!
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Janet Evanovich and Suzanne Brockmann (Troubleshooters Series)

These are the best!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

That sounds quite fun! I'll add it to my audible queue.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Weird, but I like political type audio books. Really cool when you get the actual author to narrate.

This usually helps keep the blood flowing in a goodish bad way....
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have Becoming a Better You by Joel Osteen. Pretty good read/listen :smile:
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I spend 70 min/day listening to audiobooks on my commute and pretty much pull out my iPod from the car to use on my runs. It generally works that way because I'm already into the story. Thus, I have a lot of audiobooks that have held my interest:

1. Born to Run by Christopher McDougall started my audiobooks via running scenario... (Running while listening to an audiobook about running. LOL)

2. Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett - this one is 40 hours but is my all time favorite. Narration is spectacular.

3. Janet Evanovich books are fantastic - very light, very easy to follow, don't take much focus. Plus, they're shorter.

4. Love Jillian Michaels' podcasts - hers are fantastic to listen to, and highly engaging. You've got a good mix of information meshed in with some snark. My cup of tea.

I never have a problem stopping a book either. If it doesn't grab me by audio, then I might switch to eBook instead. No biggie. I DID listen to Alex Cross (James Patterson) novels, but I tend to run outside and night and was freaking myself out, so that stopped pretty fast. ;)
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    1. Born to Run by Christopher McDougall started my audiobooks via running scenario... (Running while listening to an audiobook about running. LOL)
    I forgot about this one- I listened to it about a year ago and it really is fantastic and motivating!
    2. Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett - this one is 40 hours but is my all time favorite. Narration is spectacular.
    This is one of my all time favorite books- I could totally listen to this story even having read the book!

Thanks for the suggestions! I have a feeling we have similar tastes in books. :happy:
    I'll have to give Jillian's podcasts a try.
  • Tina0807
    Tina0807 Posts: 212
    Options
    The Michael Connelly books. We get them from the library. He has tons of them and they keep you on your toes. They are crime/mystery novels.
    Here is the link to his books in their series order. Hope you enjoy.
    http://www.michaelconnelly.com/extras/series/
  • tracyface399
    tracyface399 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I loved the Outlander books on audio! Very long, but I think awesome.
    Also, ADdiscovery of Witches
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    You've come to the right place! I'm the audiobook guru! Okay, that's self proclaimed...but still. May I suggest Jeffrey Deaver, Catherine Coulter's FBI crime series, Robert B. Parker?
  • Tina0807
    Tina0807 Posts: 212
    Options
    Janet Evanovich's "Plum series" is also very good. I am addicted to her!!!! :love:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For non-fiction: Consider In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. Well written, and very educational.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Bag of Bones by Stephen King is a WONDERFUL, long book read by Stephen King.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

Radio National (Australia) has great free podcasts - I'm a fan of Life Matters - they have all kind of stories and it's rare I don't find them interesting. Check them out.