What's your opinion on Lean Cuisines?

Options

Replies

• skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Nay! If you like the portion control save the plastic container and reuse it for home made meals.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I feel if you are going to buy pre-made meals Lean Cuisine are one of the two best. Weight Watcher meals being the second one. Then you do have to watch the sodium levels They have to add sodium and other preservatives to help them with their shelf life. If you have the time do what I plan on doing take one day a week precook all the items for the week put them in containers or zip lock bags and heat them from there. In the long run it's going to be cheaper and definitely more healthful. I will know what is in my foods. Good luck on what ever you decide to do.
  • KevinLamb77
    Options
    uk, get ready to be hungry 30 minutes later.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It's a great quick meal for me every now and then, good variety, but mindful of the sodium.
  • Squeeks70
    Squeeks70 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I love them for lunches at work. Easy to grab in the morning and heat up at work.
  • musicgal86
    musicgal86 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I use to eat them a lot until I realized that they aren't very healthy. They may be low in calories, but because they are processed not the best unfortunately.
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Big. Giant. NAY. Cook for yourself.....lean protein and fresh veggies. You can do this. Make up your own portioned meals and freeze them. Way healthier and cheaper to do it yourself.

Best wishes!!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    nay. They're so much saltier than everything else I eat and - I'm sorry- I think they taste gross. I'm a better cook than that.

A friend of mine - who is almost as wide as she is tall (she's a very small woman) buys them by the case and ONLY eats them.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    They're a no for me. I can find something with the same amount of calories, less sodium, more flavor, and in larger portions, and that's been the dealbreaker for me.
  • Get_Me_Fit1
    Get_Me_Fit1 Posts: 194
    Options
    Nay! If you like the portion control save the plastic container and reuse it for home made meals.

Greatt idea!!!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Nope, not me. Not only the sodium, although that is outrageous in most every processed food. Also the preservatives, lack of vegetables and carb overload. I will stick to real food and bring my leftovers for lunch. I will be fuller and better off.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    They definitely aren't as healthy as they'd like to to believe, but every once in a while they work in a pinch.
  • I used to eat those a lot when I first started trying to lose weight and they never satisfied my hunger. They filled me up, but the flavors didn't satisfy me. They are a good meal if you only eat them if you are in a rush, but eating them all the time is bad for you. They have way to much sodium and preservatives. Not only that, but if you are watching your calories, it kind of sucks because even though it may help you with practicing portion control, if you cooked your own meal with fresh veggies and lean cut meats, you could eat way more for the same amount of calories.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Some frozen dinners aren't bad on the sodium... just check the label before you buy it if that's your biggest concern. I find I can eat a lot more for the same amount of calories with a lot better nutrition if I make it myself. Most have very low protein.

But I do like them for convenience now and then for lunch, but I usually add a little something extra to them, like a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Nay, but only because they don't taste good and the portion size is ridiculous, I'd need to eat 3 of them to be satisfied.
  • derpina88
    derpina88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like to have a couple in my freezer for lazy days. But usually I prefer to eat fresh veggies and fruits. There is a lot worse you could be eating though!!

When I was first dieting They were absolutely essential, as I didnt really know HOW to make low calorie foods. Fried Chicken? Baked Ziti? Mac and Chese? I could make all of that stuff... But nothing under 400 cals a serving!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Not my cup of tea, but if they taste good to you, satiate you, and fit into your calorie and macros, then why not.

Quite right. Would I enjoy them daily? No, but I understand that sometimes convenience wins. If your goal is weight loss it won't make a difference.

Julia Child aptly warned in 1989: “What’s dangerous and discouraging about this era is that people really are afraid of their food … Sitting down to dinner is a trap, not something to enjoy.”

There aren't as many sodium sensitive people as you are led to believe. :)
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    They're not for me...loaded with sodium, which I try & stay away from.
  • ahlani
    ahlani Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started out my diets by taking them to work every day for lunch. I'd say it wasn't bad at all and I lost a few dress sizes using them for convenience sake, but I could also make the same thing at home at less cost per portioned meal.

Eventually I wanted to reduce the total amount of pasta in my diet, and as you all know most frozen diet meals have some form of pasta, so I quit using them altogether for only that reason. Heck, most frozen dinners across the grocery freezer isle board are pasta based meals, sheesh....
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have one I keep at work for an emergency lunch...but thats about it. I do admit to occasionally eating one of the breakfast foods they have now and again...

My husband loves them tho, so we keep them here for him.