What's your opinion on Lean Cuisines?

Options

Replies

• midnight333
    midnight333 Posts: 149
    Options
    I just reveiwed my diary. I sometimes added a side salad also or threw in some raw frozen shrimp when cooking it in the convection oven.
  • Papayamaya5
    Papayamaya5 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    NAY! It's poor quality ingredients that you don't need to be eating! opt for a healthier choice like Amy's or Kashi brand..Amy's even makes low sodium versions.
  • mistyblue666
    Options
    Very high in sodium we should not have more than 2500mg a day of sodium and lots of processed food is nothing but sodium.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Personally I find them awful. The quality is poor, some of the stuff is tasteless or has been marinating in the bellpepper bits/strips in the food that you can't taste anything but that, and they're not even filling.

When I was a teenager my dad lived on Lean Cuisines and anything he could throw in the microwave because he had no idea how to cook and despite his belief that only women cooked he never trusted me with the stove. So I had to eat them too and I don't like a lot a vegetables and certain things so my choices were far more limited.

And yes, stuff like that is sky-high in sodium. Even canned stuff.
  • relucas81
    relucas81 Posts: 76
    Options
    I have to eat 2-3 of them to add up to a decent, calorie appropriate meal... but its delicious!
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I like to eat them every now and then when I don't feel like making myself a sandwich for lunch or if I'm by myself for dinner and there's no leftovers, despite the fact that I know they can have a lot of sodium in them.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Nay.
    Too much sodium. Too many other additives. Too few calories that don't have a good balance of carbs / protein / healthy fat. Not enough veggies. If I want a low cal snack, I just have some yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit and nuts.
  • lmt920
    lmt920 Posts: 1
    Options
    They work well for me as a lunch choice onceor twice a week but i try to not rely on them all the time . Fresh as i hve seen others say is better because you can control th ingredients but as far as conveinience they are great . They do have plenty of choices and are more affordable then some of the others . If i had to advice you i would say use them as a break from cooking but dont let them take the place of homemade. Good luck with your efforts
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    It's a yay for me. But I really prefer the Healthy Choice meals over Lean Cuisine.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    The only one that I'll eat is the herb roasted chicken and I probably have it once a week for supper. I pair it with a nice salad, so I'm not starving.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Do your research on sodium, please. :)
    Consider also the case of salt. For years, the conventional wisdom has been that we're eating too much salt and that it contributes to the risk of heart disease. Recently, though, the hyperbole has reached a new level.

"Salt is the single most dangerous ingredient in the food supply," warns the often hysterical Center for Science in the Public Interest. Meanwhile, CDC chief Thomas Frieden claims that "if you just eat the food that's in front of you, you will end up with high blood pressure."

Looking at recent research, though, should make us wonder if our blood pressure isn't affected more by these doomsday prophecies than salt.

A review of 167 studies published last fall in the American Journal of Hypertension found that sodium reduction was associated with significant increases in both cholesterol and blood triglycerides (fat) -- both risk factors for cardiovascular disease. And a study in the same journal released in the summer used data from 6,500 patients and found that even a 50 percent salt reduction was not associated with a significant decrease in the risk of dying or cardiovascular disease.

The American Dietetic Association rejects the idea of good and bad foods, noting that "the total diet or overall pattern of food eaten is the most important focus of a healthful eating style." That's what responsible professional advocates should focus on -- eating in moderation.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yay, for me. I don't eat them often but I usually keep a small selection in my freezer so I have something to grab on the way to work if I didn't have time to cook. The paninis are amazing :)
  • rockchalk03
    Options
    Yay for me!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    They just don't taste good. I can't imagine that anyone who thinks Lean Cuisines taste good eats much food that's freshly prepared from high quality ingredients.

There are frozen meals that taste decent, but Lean Cuisines they are not.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Yay for me. :) I could care less about sodium. I think some of them are pretty tasty, but lately I've been eating a lot of Amy's Light meals. They're all organic and whatnot; makes me feel extra special.. And my God are they tasty and low-cal.

Somedays a lean cuisine or other frozen meal just isn't enough so I add an entire can of green beans or sliced carrots.. Or a few cups of fresh steamed vegetables if I have them on hand.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Ok once in a blue moon but they throw my sodium macros out of whack, really don't taste that great or fill me up.
  • goingwithgrace
    goingwithgrace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    They're awful and full of sodium. I've had 2 friends end up with high blood pressure and were told to stop eating them by their doctor. It helped.

We just cook our own meals and then portion them out into containers for the week. Better for you and better tasting!
  • Tyffany76
    Tyffany76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Nay. I think they are very high in sodium and they don't taste very good. Fresh is best and you know everything that's being put in your mouth.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yay for me. :) I could care less about sodium. I think some of them are pretty tasty, but lately I've been eating a lot of Amy's Light meals. They're all organic and whatnot; makes me feel extra special.. And my God are they tasty and low-cal.

I love Amy's! I only just recently found it!
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    I've had a few of the vegetables Smart Ones in my freezer for several months now, untouched.. Don't really eat them, they are more for "emergencies" when I run out of food and too lazy to go to the store. Unlike everyone else here though, I actually am suppose to consume 5g of sodium a day for medical reasons so the sodium content isn't of concern for me. I eat clean 95% of the time anyways so I usually have to take 1-3g of Sodium Chloride tablets at night.