overnight oatmeal

Options
Jkc9059
Jkc9059 Posts: 151 Member
Looking for the recipe for Overnight oatmeal can anyone help me?

Replies

• angeeishere
    angeeishere Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't really use a recipe but I have about a half cup (or so) of fat free vanilla yoguart and stir in about a quarter cup of steel cut oatmeal at night and then in the morning I add some fruit to it. It's nothing fancy but it works.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    google.com is a great place to find every thing you need, and some things you don't. Just google it
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    In a bowl, mix your oats with the liquid of your choice - milk, water fruit juice etc.

In the morning, add in any other ingredients you like - berries, nuts, seeds, some yoghurt.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Made this for the first time over the weekend using a variation of the recipe on this page:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/skinny-overnight-oats-in-jar.html

We didn't use the banana or stevia, and I replaced the chia seeds with flax seeds (because that's what we had). It was great, and my mind is awhirl with possibilities for variations. I think this may become our new weekend breakfast.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I do 1/2C FF greek yogurt, 1/2C old fashioned oats, 1/2C FF milk, 1T chia seeds. Stir and let site overnight (I make 4-5 servings on Sunday to last the week and its still good on the last day), in morning add fruit and sweetener of choice. This week its blueberries and a touch of maple syrup.
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Here is my recipe (per serving):

1/4 cup rolled oats
    1/4 plain yogurt
    1/4 cup skim milk
    1 tsp. chia seeds (optional - if not, use little less milk)
    2 tsp. sugar free pancake syrup (or 2 pks of Splenda)

Mix or shake well, then add flavors:

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal:
    1/4 cup pureed pumpkin
    1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    Stir into ingredients above
    Sprinkle with walnuts (optional)

Blueberry Maple
    1/2 cup blueberries
    Increase pancake syrup to 2 TB

Peach/Honey
    1/4 cup chopped peaches
    1 teaspoon honey

Also, I add my sweeteners and fruits when I make the oatmeal, because I like the flavors to blend. If you don't use bananas, it lasts 4-5 days. Bananas, I do add same day. Another good variation is to add 2T cocoa powder.
  • jwillie76
    jwillie76 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump
  • franridge
    franridge Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use coconut-almond milk instead of yogurt to keep the calories down.
  • Autumnewald
    Options
    http://www.theyummylife.com/recipes/browse/Oatmeal

she has a lot of variations on this blog
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LosingMyMarbles
    LosingMyMarbles Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This is what I've been doing:

1/4 cup rolled oats (Quaker old fashioned)
    1/4 cup 2% milk
    1 Chobani Champions kids yogurt (Honey Banana or Mixed Berry)
    1/2 c blueberries
    cinnamon

Occassionally I add cocoa almonds.
  • tdhaverland
    Options
    Take 1 cup steel cut oats and put in a heavy sauce pan. Toast them on medium heat for about 3-5 minutes. Turn heat to medium high and pour in 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, place lid on pan, turn off heat and go to bed. In the morning you will have perfectly cooked steel cut oats. I heat 200 grams in microwave and add blue berries.
  • coffeemom3boys
    coffeemom3boys Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Made some overnight oatmeal a month ago....I personally thought it was horrible. It was like cold wet paste and I love oatmeal. I thought this was going to be a recipe to add to my fast-on-the-go breakfast options. Should I have heated it up or do you eat it cold?
  • Emilylighter
    Emilylighter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is the recipe I've used with great success. http://suite101.com/article/crockpot-oatmeal-recipe-a11482
    I've actually cut down the brown sugar to 1/4 cup (it's a taste preference) and you can substitute any dried fruit
    for the raisins. This makes so much and as I am the only one who eats it, I put it into individual containers and
    have ready made breakfast for 8 days straight (refrigerated and then heated up.) I usually add some Almond Breeze
    vanilla flavored milk to it when I heat it up!
  • shgreenw
    shgreenw Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Bumping for that pumpkin pie oatmeal recipe. Yum!!

I love overnight oats but my husband (who also normally likes oatmeal) hated it. I think it's a texture thing. I like the "chewiness" but that's exactly what he hated. I'm trying chia seeds in mine for the first time today. :)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    don't like normal oatmeal and found out this morning I don't like this either. Oh well it was worth a shot.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Made some overnight oatmeal a month ago....I personally thought it was horrible. It was like cold wet paste and I love oatmeal. I thought this was going to be a recipe to add to my fast-on-the-go breakfast options. Should I have heated it up or do you eat it cold?

My understanding is that it's normally eaten cold (which is what my wife & I did, and we enjoyed it). But I suppose that you could always heat it up if you think you might enjoy it better that way. Actually, another possibility that we came up with was that on days when we know that we'll be running out the door early (like when we have a Renaissance festival to go to), giving a batch of this a whirl in the Vita-Mix with a little extra almond milk would give us a nutritious drinkable breakfast to have in the car on the way to wherever.
  • cbe2mom
    cbe2mom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this recipe yet, but i plan to soon.

http://www.thekitchn.com/oatmeal-in-jars-a-week-of-stee-143623
  • xoTLCxo
    xoTLCxo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting. May have. To give this a try