How do you stay motivated to work out?

Options

Replies

• Harry_Du
    Options
    Hey, I have that as well! There are so many reasons to shy away for a while, but a million more reasons not too!

I won't give a lecture here, just go for a run and enjoy it!

You have my support!
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I look at my best friend Jerred and see what he has accomplished and it motivates me to move more.
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead.

This doesn't always work because of life but it does help.
  • stephs0214
    stephs0214 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I schedule my work out at the same time every day...........right after work. I know if I sit down when I get home, I'll never get up to go exercise. You said you think of all kinds of excuses not to go after work. I used to do that, but now I just don't think about it. I just go and after a while, it becomes a habit and a part of your day.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    The way that I keep at it is that if I miss a scheduled workout I feel lazy. My workout times are my "me" times that I don't think about anything or anyone but myself. Is that kind of selfish?....maybe but lets me honest, if I can not be happy how will I be able to bring others happiness, right? It is a time that I can vent all of my frustrations. When I train after I am finished I feel a sense of accomplishment and feel like I am sculpting my body the way I want it to look. That is how I stay motivated. The gym that I go to is literally on the way home after work so that makes it easier during the week.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's been said before but for me it's having an awesome workout partner - my wife - to motivate me to keep going. There have been studies shown that working out with someone makes you actually hit the gym more because you know someone else is counting on you to be there. For me the fact that it's my bride is even more beneficial because we are working out together, set goals together and support each other (plus it's "us" time where the kids aren't tugging at us, wanting things or just pestering us because we are not focused on them for an hour and a half).
    If you don't already have a workout buddy - get one. You'll be glad you did.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    i always find the journey to health is a bit like a giant mountain with a slide going down
    its so easy to step on the slide (i'm tired i'm not going to do xxx today) and then the next day and the next it is easier and easier to not do or to choose baly as you are gaining momentum on the way down.
    bummer hey! if only it was the other way around but as you noted the 'view from the top' is amazing!

find something you love to do! and you wont want to find excuses not t go you will be finding excuses to do!

fin r/l fitness buddies. do you know anyone who is as dedicated as you that you could restart running with

other things include adding in as much ' incidental exercise as possible) stairs over lift get off the bus 1 then 2 the 3 stops early / late and walk the rest of the way
    can you com mute to work - i9 cycle in and it is a lifesaver in terms of my healthy progression!

good luck

and remember "you will never regret the work you you did!"

aslo teal some of these quotes http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680250-what-is-your-favorite-motivational-exercise-quote
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    YES! You always hear about the yo-yo dieters. But diet is easy for me. I enjoy the taste of healthy food. More of my favorite dishes are healthy than not. I've been eating healthy for decades. But over those decades my weight has fluctuated because I am a yo-yo exerciser. It's not that I don't enjoy exercise. I really do enjoy many types of exercise and I feel and look better and maintain a healthy weight when I exercise regularly. But it's still hard to keep with it regularly because of so many other things pulling at my time.

I am doing pretty good so far, but I just recently had to get back on track because I'd started slacking off again. Food is easy. But I struggle to stay on track with activity. Mostly I do it by reminding myself how sluggish I felt and how much weight I gained the last time I stopped.
  • nmluna
    nmluna Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I found that when I was only going for 3-4 workout times a week.. I often said "i'll do it tomorrow".. but when I switched it up to a daily thing.. I tried my best to get it in.. but if I didn't then I didn't beat myself up over it. But I agree with others.. its a priority thing. I also look at myself often in the mirror with no clothes on.. makes me go.. yikes.. go run! I also took "before" pictures.. and I look at those too.. anything that makes me remember.. "i want a better body!".. I also started wathcing calories.. not to "calorie count".. but it made me actually LOOK at what I was eating instead of just eating. Made me much more aware! It also helped me to be aware that the little debbie brownie that is staring at me would take almost an hour to burn off!
    :)
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Simple. Just do it. Just like you would shower, eat, brush your teeth.... make it a habit.

I know it sounds easier said than done, but really, if something is important to you, there are no excuses. You make time for it.

Find something you absolutely LOVE to do. Find something fun that doesn't seem like a chore.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Running is just part of my everyday agenda. I don't even let my body tell me its tired. If by chance I do feel tired I say, ok we will just go for 45 minutes and then usually I will do 1 hour.

When I was working it was a great stress reliever to get home, change and go run!!

Basil
  • ashleew1117
    Options
    I agree, it is very hard to stay motivated to work out.
    You have to try to find things that you like and then keep switching it up, your body likes changes as well not just you.
    For me its one day i'll do Zumba, and then i'll walk and those types of things.
    Today i started 30DS and thought that i didn't burn enough and thought i'd add walking, so tonight when i get home from work my show comes on (teen wolf) & its for an hour, so from 10 to 11 i'll be walking on my treadmill while watching the show, it makes time go by so quickly and within no time i've burned the calories desired and i'm already finished (:
    Just do things that you have fun doing (:

I hope this helped, Good luck.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    We need to learn from our children...........running, jumping, chasing after a ball is all play. As adults we lose that sense of fun and start looking at exercise as a necessary chore. The day I made running "play" was the day that it became much easier for me and is now something I look forward to.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    95% of my personal battle is changing my clothes. Once I put on workout clothes, I'm ready to work.

You might be pleasantly surprised how much your body remembers from your previous workout days. In fact, it would probably only take you about a month to work back up to that 60 minutes of running. You might be slower but you can do it.

Every once in awhile, I find myself in a real slump. So, I'll tell myself to just run for 20 minutes 3 times this week. That's it. Before I know it, I'm back to kickin' butt and takin' names within a few weeks.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm a single Mom of 2 and I know I love to spend time with them when I get home too. Not to mention getting dinner together and what-not. I started planning meals for the week. Putting what I can together on Sunday or throwing meals in the crockpot. And if it is a day I plan to run, I have my kids get out there and run with me. That way we are all healthier and happier. We can catch up on the fly! :happy: My 12 year old daughter and I will be doing our first 5k together in 2 weeks. Yay! Maybe your bf will join you as you get out there and build a stronger you? Best of luck!
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I sign myself up for races so it forces me to at least run! Can't run the race if I haven't trained! LOL!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the AM...before my brain realizes what's going on and before I can talk myself out of it. I also use every trick I can think of to get myself to do it...lately I've been using earndit.com and foursquare linked to it...I work out, I check in on foursquare, I get points on earndit and I get free stuff. If you know someone on earndit, they do a 50 point bonus if you use a referral link now. If you don't and you want a link, just send me a message.

Oh and I set larger goals too...for instance, when I do 30 workouts with Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred DVD, I'm buying myself an HRM.
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have a picture of me on my now husbands and I first anniversary together as a couple not married. I looked fat or pregnant. It was also a side profile pic so I could see a double chin starting, even though no one else saw it. I keep nthis photo on my bathroom mirror which is next to my closet. Motivates me every time.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I've found that having something else besides one upping myself in workouts has helped immensely. I started playing co-ed softball and have toyed with joining a soccer league for our off seasons. I've found that having something to be in shape for really helps me push in my regular workouts!
  • nabak147112
    nabak147112 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    just seeing the scale moving down,and noticing my clothes getting bigger keeps me going. and lately ive noticed when i plan on NOT workining out i feel as if im missing something so even if its half of the workout i normally do i still get SOME KIND of workout in