Weight Loss Help!!!!!//Anyone tried Herbalife//PCOS

Options
Okay let me start off by saying I went to the mall on Saturday and didn't fit ANYTHING I tried on. Real bummer because i'm at my biggest size(15) and weight at about 220 lbs. I seriously wanted to cry...getting everything in extra large ::sad:

I cut sodas from my diet for about 3 weeks now. I have cheat days yes but for the most part I eat healthy and I go to the gym about 3 times a week. I know I havn't been at it that long but it seems i'm gaining even MORE weight.

I was diagnosed with PCOS about two years about and I feel like it's even harder for me to lose wieght. I'm really thinking about trying this product called 'Herbalife'. Anyone tried it or know someone who has and if so, did it work for them?

What i'm really trying to ask is please help! beginner tips and diet plans are greatly appreciated :smile:

Replies

• VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I haven't used it personally but my sis in law has and she dropped alot of weight. She liked it but the cost seems alot. I would say go for it as long as you keep exercising.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a little bit and lost weight right away. I'm not sure if it was mostly water weight or not. I found it to be more expensive for me and unrealistic to do shakes two times a day because that's not what I would normally eat. Love the shakes though and they were really filling for me. I would consider doing it again.
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    I have a few of the Herbalife shakes - I havent been using them as religiously as I should, but use them more as a "filler" if I dont get all of my protein in for the day - combined with a non flavored protein shake mix. They taste like a really thick drink (think ice cream shake, if you mix ice in with them and milk) and can be really good. They are definitely filling!!!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for Herbalife, but have you considered trying some more drastic change in your diet? Specifically, have you considered checking out the Paleo or Primal diet? They're focused on whole foods and lower in carbs than the usual "everything in moderation diet," but a lot of people who haven't been able to lose weight (myself included) have had good results with it. It might be worth looking into.

In the meantime, for clothes, check out Lane Bryant or Fashion Bug. They are both designed for "larger" clothing sizes (FB does everything from petite on up, LB starts at size 14 and goes up). I've had good experience getting stuff from both places. Aside from that, always remember that most of the designer stuff is generally made for "rails." I know for me, even at my goal weight, I'll likely have issues getting clothes from the usual department stores, due to how I'm built.
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options
    I have PCOS, diagnosed 5 years ago, and I've tried all manner of "supplement" and in the end, its just diet and exercise that needs to be your best pal when it comes to losing weight.

Have you had your blood sugar monitored regularly to ensure that you are not pre-diabetic? Are you keeping your carb and fat intake lower and increasing your protein?

I am the smallest I've been in my adult life right now just through diet and exercise and I am confident that I am not going to be in a diet-all-the-time loop anymore. There is hope for your PCOS to be managed.

Are you on birth control pills? Have you had your Thyroid checked?
  • ShannonGo
    Options
    I tried it for a little bit and lost weight right away. I'm not sure if it was mostly water weight or not. I found it to be more expensive for me and unrealistic to do shakes two times a day because that's not what I would normally eat. Love the shakes though and they were really filling for me. I would consider doing it again.

I think this is important to consider. I do not think that any diet changes can be effective in the long term if you are not able to make those diet changes into LIFESTYLE changes. Two shakes a day? Can you picture that being your LIFESTYLE for the next 65 years? If not, you will need to find another way to make changes to your weight.
  • mefit87
    mefit87 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ok... So I can completely relate to what you're going through. I was diagnosed with PCOS 5-6 years ago when I was around 18 years old. I gained soooo much weight that by the time I was 20ish I was a size 18. That's when I decided to start eating a bit healthier and shimmied down to a size 14. After I got down to a 14, I sort of quit. And I've stayed around the size 14 mark....

Along with all the physiological symptoms PCOS really effects your psychological health as well. It would make me feel depressed and then I'd binge. It was an ugly cycle. Now that I'm getting older I'd like to have children in the future and I know I need to get down to a healthy weight.

That's why I joined mfp about a month ago and since then I've managed to lose 8lbs and I'm feeling really good about myself.
    I know it harder to lose weight with PCOS but just keep at it. Increase your weekly exercise activity, drink tons and tons of water and eat fresh, whole, raw fruits and vegetables. Fiber is awesome too.

Are you on any medications? Sometimes your insulin levels can throw things off and cause you to gain weight.
  • _dreaface
    _dreaface Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I remember someone telling me to just get the shakes and not to worry about the other products they offer. Do you remember around how much it cost and where you got it from?
  • _dreaface
    Options
    I feel like some shake type thing would just be better for my lifestyle. As far as preparing meals or trying some frozen food, honestly i'm picky and I just know I wouldn't be able to do it. I've never tried any of those stores, I usually end up getting my clothes from Macys which can definatly add up but hey that's what I work for right?
  • _dreaface
    Options
    I know i've had my blood sugar checked and i'm fine with that. I was on the Nuva Ring to regulate my period because I would go 2-3 months without getting it. I stopped because I noticed as soon as I started exercising I just get my period normally.
  • _dreaface
    Options
    Yea I totally get you. It does get me depressed alot of the time....i've been with my boyfriend for about 4 1/2 years, he's almost 25 and i'm almost 22. I worry about what if I can't give him kids and what will happen to our relationship. I know people always say it's still possible to get pregnant with PCOS and people who lose a massive amount of weight get pregnant quickly but what if i'm one of those women who just CAN'T? It really is a terrible feeling...Congrats on your success so far
  • ShannonGo
    Options
    It does not sound like you've seen a reproductive endocrinologist, based on your fertility concerns. I would recommend seeing one before you get too far down the path of "OMG what will come of my life?!" Because there is a lot of hope. I have known quite a few people who had children without issue, even when they were slightly overweight. One even by accident because she didn't realize that Metformin (a common drug for pre-diabetic/PCOS/Type II Diabetes patients to control insulin resistance) would be so impactful on her fertility. Oops... I also know several who have had minor medical help to conceive (Clomid, an oral medication) - one who has a set of twins who are ~6 months old now. Remember, up to 10% of the population suffers from PCOS, many who don't know it until they're trying to conceive, which is a bad time to learn about it.

I would definitely keep up with the hormonal birth control, because the more you stay "balanced" the more likely it is that you will not suffer the various unpleasant consequences of PCOS (male pattern hair growth on your face/body! more cysts around your ovaries! etc.) The earlier you know what is going on with your body, the better off you will be. I have lost 21lbs because in the next 2 years, we will likely try to conceive. It is commonly said that with PCOS, even a 10% reduction in weight can change your fertility - which is probably what you experienced when you became more active. You're younger than I am when I was diagnosed, so have faith that you're going to be able to change your future by acting now! You have lots of time to fix your body and fight it into being under your control, rather than under the control of PCOS.

PCOS typically comes with a lot of other issues or is commonly present with other issues too - Thyroid, Cholesterol, Insulin Resistance, etc. so I would definitely be talking to your primary care doctor about the over all impact of an ENDOCRINE disorder on your life. Please don't think that PCOS only matters between 20-40 when you are trying to have kids, it takes a toll on your entire body. If you aren't treated for your entire life, you aren't being well cared for. Your OB/GYN should be taking care of your ovaries, but you will need to be comfortable with the understanding of all of your other providers - your endocrinologist (reproductive endocrinologist or not) and the doctor who treats you for broncitis or whatever else... they all need to be on board with your diagnosis and watch out for you so you aren't allowed to get worse.

Its pretty important that you consider insulin resistance a given, not a possibility, so take care of your liver - minimize drinking and sugar consumption, because your liver is working overtime to keep you balanced.
  • ShannonGo
    Options
    Also - based on the symptoms of PCOS that I know about now, I am fairly sure I was symptomatic as much as 10 years prior to diagnosis that is a long time to go untreated and a long time for my body to do whatever it was doing. I am pretty sure I was about 15 when I began having issues, but PCOS is a collection of symptoms, not something you can do a blood test for... I could have 4 of 20 symptoms and have PCOS or I could have 10 of 20 symptoms and have another issue all together. You are young enough to challenge your body to be diffierent. And the lifestyle you need to follow is not unhealthy or difficult, once you know what you're supposed to do to stay healthy. You have a great advantage to know at your age what you're trying to change about your body, be glad! You have much more control to change your future than others who have tried for a year or more to conceive and then find out why they can't... its a gift to know now. I feel blessed to know in advance.

Don't borrow troubles if you and your boyfriend are not talking about making babies this year... I was horribly saddened when I was diagnosed because my husband and I weren't even married yet and I was positive I would be completely undesirable as a wife, but a worthwhile man isn't going to reject you because you can't make babies like rabbits, he's going to appreciate your willingness to sacrifice yourself to go as far as necessary to have a family with him. Fertility treatments, from the experiences of other PCOSers are not fun, but a good husband makes a world of difference in the process of conceiving through medical intervention.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just do the herbalife healthy meal (number 1) - I just do one shake some mornings, couple times a week maybe, I do it with milk and lately have been throwing a half banana in. and, I just bought the power off of ebay, and I just make sure its a fresh date. I just do that when I don't know what to do for breakfast, or in a hurry.
  • jonjanke
    Options
    Hi I'm Jon and I work with people who would like to lose body fat. I see them every week and these are the things we do during each appointment. First I plan their menu for the week and if you were my client I give you about between 1300-1500 calories per day and I would have these calories spread out into about 5-6 meals per day to keep your metabolism running hot. Each meal would have a protein and a "good carb". Something like 1 slice of whole wheat bread, a medium size fruit of your choice and for the protein 1 egg and 1 egg white however you would like to cook it. Then about 3 hours later I'd give you a large fruit of your choice with a protein like string cheese or 1oz jerky. Lunch would be a 6 inch subway or 3/4 cup brown rice, 4oz chicken/fish, and a veggie of your choice. then another 200 calorie snack 3 hours later like a smoothie or my no bake cookies ( recipe on fatlossgameplan.com go to blog) or a protein bar. Then dinner would be any lean protein of your choice about 3-4oz, any veggie of your choice and a small amount of carb like a 6oz yellow potato, or 1/2 cup rice or 1 whole wheat tortilla, or 1 big corn on the cob. Then late at night I'd give you about 100 calorie snack consisting of mostly protein, like a protein shake, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, greek yogurt, any lean meat 3oz, stuff like that.

I'd have you drinking minimum 60oz of water and then 3-4 weight workout per week about 25-30 min each and 3-4 cardios per week about 20-30 min each. Get on the scale once every Friday morning and see your results. I Then teach my clients every week how to change their food for new ideas such as homemade pizza found at ( fatlossgameplan.com on blog). I also recommend having 2 cheat meals per week but not to crazy and no alcohol. My clients loose about 2-4 pounds per week. Just take it a week at a time and no one does it perfectly. Remember it took you years to put the weight on and it's only going to take months to get it off. Also the food part is 70-80% of you getting to your goal so don't think you just workout a ton and skip the meals because it wont work and you'll be very disappointed after doing all those hard, long workouts. Just learn how to feed your body better and be a bit more active then you'll see the weight start to burn off as you change some of your bad habits for better habits. Well sorry so long but there you have it. Good luck and don't give up so soon, anyone can do it, I've seen hundreds do so you can too. Jon
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yea I totally get you. It does get me depressed alot of the time....i've been with my boyfriend for about 4 1/2 years, he's almost 25 and i'm almost 22. I worry about what if I can't give him kids and what will happen to our relationship. I know people always say it's still possible to get pregnant with PCOS and people who lose a massive amount of weight get pregnant quickly but what if i'm one of those women who just CAN'T? It really is a terrible feeling...Congrats on your success so far

Hon, if a man considers leaving you solely because you are physically incapable of having kids, he's got bigger issues, and having kids won't change that (and in fact, may make things worse). If he truely loves you, then he'll understand, and if you both really want kids, you'll consider other options that are available, such as adoption. A relationship is about the two of you, first and foremost.

Also, as others have mentioned, don't worry about it until it comes up. You're at a huge advantage for knowing that you have PCOS before you've tried to conceive. Use the time you have from now until you're ready to start trying to get your own health in order, and cross the fertility bridge when you get there, not before. Worrying about it now will only hinder you (worry causes stress; stress releases cortisol; chronic exposure to cortisol makes it harder to lose weight).
    I feel like some shake type thing would just be better for my lifestyle. As far as preparing meals or trying some frozen food, honestly i'm picky and I just know I wouldn't be able to do it. I've never tried any of those stores, I usually end up getting my clothes from Macys which can definatly add up but hey that's what I work for right?

At the risk of sounding offensive, but it sounds to me like you're trying to take the easy way out. You're setting yourself up for failure by saying things like "I just know I won't be able to do it." Instead of saying "I can't do this," say "I can make this one little change" -- then do it! Cut out sodas, for example. Then start making a healthy breakfast a couple of times a week. Then make another small change, then another, and another. Before you know it, you'll have overhauled your eating habits!

You work to get the money you spend at Macy's, because you want the clothes that Macy's has, right? I assume you work hard for that money? Why do you think you should work any less hard for the body that you want (and really, once you find what works for you and is sustainable, it really won't be, or at least seem, like that much work)?

Let's play out the Herbalife thing for a moment. You buy into the Herbalife stuff, hook, line, and sinker. You use it for 2 meals and a snack (or whatever they recommend), and you reach your goal weight. What happens when you get to the weight you want to get to? You'll probably stop drinking the shakes, because, hey, you're at your goal weight! You don't need this "diet stuff" anymore, and you can get back to "real" food!

But, you never made an effort to make meaningful changes to your eating and exercise habits. So you go back to eating the same stuff that got you to your higher weight to begin with. Inevitably, the weight starts creeping back on. Maybe by the time you've realized it, you've also gained a few pounds on top of what you used to be. Now what? Do you go back on the shakes and repeat the process again, only to return, yet again, after getting to your goal weight?

Einstein once said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results." And that's exactly what people do when they go on these "diets", only to go off of them and regain what they lost, instead of making meaningful changes that they can stick with for life.

Michael Pollan has a great basic "one-liner" for eating healthy - Eat food, not too much, mostly plants. Let's break that down:

"Eat food." - Real food. Or as Mark Sisson likes to say, "plants and animals." Twinkies are not real food. Soda is not real food. Chicken breast is real food. A salad is real food. Steak is real food. Carrots are real food.

"Not too much." - Eating enough to prompt your body to store the excess as fat is what got you to your weight in the first place. If you don't reign in how much you eat, then you won't get anywhere, or you'll end up back where you started. On the plus side, when you follow step one, step 2 comes a lot easier.

"Mostly plants." - Plants (IE - leafy greens, carrots, squash, strawberries, etc) provide us with dozens of vitamins and minerals that we can't really get from anywhere else. While non-veg*n diets will contain meat as the bulk of one's calories, the bulk of the "bulk" (IE - what makes you feel full) in any wholesome diet will come from plants. You can eat a lot of plants without packing on a lot of calories (for example, an entire pint of strawberries is only about 100 calories).

Even if your life is so crazy that you can't ever cook your meals at home, following guidelines such as the above with go a very long way in making your food choices healthier.

As for your mindset, one thing that might help is to write down all the reasons that make you think you can't do things like make healthier choices when eating out, or why you can't cook at home, or whatever other things that are making you think you can't lose weight without resorting to something like Herbalife. That will give you a tangible list of reasons why, instead of just having a nebulous "I can't do this."

Then, start doing something about those reasons.

You have PCOS? If you aren't already being treated for it, then go see a doctor. Get a referral to a reproductive endo. Get the treatment necessary to keep yourself healthy.

You don't have time to cook at home? I bet you do, or you can carve out the time. Figure out what you are spending your time doing. If you truely don't have time, invest in a crock pot. Let it do the cooking for you, then all you have to do is reheat and eat. Pick up a "5 minute recipes" type of cookbook, or three, and learn how to make quick meals.

You don't know what to cook? Pick up some cookbooks. If either of you like to grill, I highly recommend "Grill This, Not That." It's got fantastic recipes and information on how to grill healthier.

Do you see what I'm doing here? By making a list, you've turned your "I can't do this," into actionable items, which you can then tackle one by one, turning your "I can't" into "I can," and taking steps to make you healthier along the way (without the daunting idea of diving head first into the deep end).
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Cut out the cheat meals, you're only cheating yourself. Log all your food, exercise, forget the fad diets - that's all they are, fads! Have a look at some diaries on here for ideas about better foods, there are a lot of people with PCOS on here who are doing well and you can too!
  • Bighiker2
    Bighiker2 Posts: 100
    Options
    A good friend of mine tried Herbalife and lost about 10 lbs. on it but had to stop because she felt too deprived. You basically have to eat their products for two meals/day and have only one 'normal' food meal... She said that while it works for some people, it is definitely not for everyone. Personally, I never tried it myself.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

I think this is important to consider. I do not think that any diet changes can be effective in the long term if you are not able to make those diet changes into LIFESTYLE changes. Two shakes a day? Can you picture that being your LIFESTYLE for the next 65 years? If not, you will need to find another way to make changes to your weight.

THIS!
    Stay away from Herbalife, it won't help any more than eating healthy, light meals and exercising.
  • TSE1123
    TSE1123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and I am also insulin resistant. I started drinking idealshape meal replacement shakes almost 3 weeks ago and have lost 9lbs! this is huge for me because nothing else has worked. I have my calories set at 1350 a day and this seems to work well for me. Shakes taste great and they work! may want to check them out. I have tried so hard in the past without any luck because PCOS makes is sooo hard to lose the weight. I finally have hope that this will actually work!
    Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you :)