Curious about 40/30/30 Diets...

Options
I noticed that the recommended breakdown of calories is 55% Carbs, 15% Protein, 30% Fats. I logged in all my foods for four days using this breakdown. Every day my protein intake was quite a bit over, and my carbs were pretty much right on. I have hashimoto's thyroiditis, and losing weight even with exercise and controlled calories has proven quite difficult this year. One of my friends at work suggested trying a diet that has more protein and less carbs. I don't want to do anything unhealthy ( I have heard that low carb diets can be detrimental to your health), but I was wondering if maybe a diet of 40/30/30 would be a better option for me. I adjusted my profile to reflect this, and it seemed to reflect my diet a little bit better. My protein intakes seems to be much closer to 30% than 15%. I would have to decrease my carbs a little bit to get it closer to 40%, but I am not far off from this on a daily basis. Is this ok? Of course I want to lose weight, but I definitely don't want to do anything unhealthy in the process. I would love to hear from others who have more knowledge in this area. Help!!!!

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    This is okay, but honestly a health carb diet is just as fine.

I personally recommend 50/30/20 diets.

Broccoli, celery, spinach and other wonderfully healthy vegetables are carbs and are not exactly making anyone pack on the pounds.

If you choose twinkies and high sodium snack foods for your cards, then that is bad lol.
  • LittleRedBird18
    LittleRedBird18 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just to understand the lingo, when you say 50/30/20, does 20 stand for proteins or fat?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Just to understand the lingo, when you say 50/30/20, does 20 stand for proteins or fat?

Its always listed as Carbs/Protein/Fats
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    Cool. Thanks so much for the info. I think that I could easily keep my carbs at 50, but I am not sure how to get my protein up to 30 while getting my fats down to 20. My fats are consistently about 30. I do eat nuts daily, but I hate to cut back on those because they curb my appetite and keep me satisfied until the next snack or meal. Any thoughts or ideas? I am gonna add you. If you want to check out my diary, that is fine. I made some bad choices this week, lol. But I work at a restaurant, so it is hard to always make 100% healthy choices. I am surrounded by food!!!
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 diets are going to be really low in grains (should have said "fairly" here) or void ("lacking" would be a better term here) of veggies/fruits though (the latter in my opinion is far worse).

I'm personally on a 30/40/30 diet and eat almost no grains, mainly fruits and veggies or beans for my carbs. I feel a lot better doing this than when I included grains (which may mean I have a sensitivity issue), but that's me.

You learn a LOT about foods and make some beneficial choices (IMO) to maintain a 30-40% protein diet. If you actually meet the goals everyday you will typically have to make smart choices to meet the macros. That's one of the reasons why I like the ratio so much (other being that I strength train and am way active so I need that much protein).

My goals in my mind are 7 servings of whole fruits and veggies and the 30/40/30 macros. Fats usually end up being the hardest thing to get right.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am doing 45/25/30 but I have noticed that even when I am off on a given day, it tends to even out over the week. Until I am closer to my goal weight, I am more worried about calories. But I don't have any special health issues either.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm 45/25/30. It is working very well for me.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't go by percentages, I go by body weight. I do a gram of protein per pound of body weight, which comes out to I think 25% and half a gram of fat per pound of body weight which is 30% .... I think?
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options
    I am on a 40/40/20 plan myself and my diet is not void of fruits, vegetables or grains. This is the plan my dietitan set up for me given that I have hypothyroidism and PCOS. I've lost 12lbs since June 1.
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    Thanks for all the thoughts, folks! I am gonna experiment for a week or so and maybe try a 50/30/20 for awhile. I do eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, so I would have to cut back on them to get to 40. I am think right now it might be better to focus on getting fats down and proteins up. I eat too much fat (blush). We'll see. I'll try this for a bit and see if it works, if not, I'll cut back on carbs. But I would hate to give up my fruit :).
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 and I'm doing very well. However, I've never been the biggest potato, pasta, or bread eater either but I do enjoy a lot of veggies and a moderate fruit intake (I don't know why someone up there said that it would be void of fruits and veggies. Where does he think the carbs come from? Honestly 40% for me is over 100 grams.

Some days are just off days but honestly, it's a lot easier than it sounds and if you're over one day, it's easy to compensate through the week.

I'm also going to state that eating this way is medically necessary as I have issues with my blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and this is the way I was recommended by both my Dr. and a Dietitian to eat. This keeps my blood sugar far more stable than higher carb diets.

ETA: If you'd like to check it out, my diary is open.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 diets are going to be really low in grains or void of veggies/fruits though (the latter in my opinion is far worse).

No it is not....I do the 40/30/30 and eat lots of vegetables, fruits and even pasta, oatmeal and rice sometimes......

It works for me - I do heavy lifting three times a week and need the protein, and I run 3x per week and need carbs as well.....
    I have to throw in a protein shake almost every day in order to make the 30% protein - as much as I love steak, a huge one every day after lifting weights doesn't always do it for me!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 40% protein, 30% carb/fat for a year now... it works best for me.

This still gives you enough carbs (some of them are important and quite healthy - like quinoa, oatmeal, fruit etc.
    Fill up on protein first and you'll stay feeling full longer than if you fill up on carbs like bread and pasta.
  • dbpiero
    dbpiero Posts: 2
    Options
    My diet coach has me on the 30% protein 40% carbs 30% fat breakdown and it has worked well for me. I just make sure that my protein choices are lean and keep my calorie count to 1300 a day and excercise 4-5 times a week. I have been able to lose 14 lbs in 4 months.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the thoughts, folks! I am gonna experiment for a week or so and maybe try a 50/30/20 for awhile. I do eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, so I would have to cut back on them to get to 40. I am think right now it might be better to focus on getting fats down and proteins up. I eat too much fat (blush). We'll see. I'll try this for a bit and see if it works, if not, I'll cut back on carbs. But I would hate to give up my fruit :).

I don't think you would have to cut back on fruits and vegetables to get to 40%, honestly. It's could simply be a matter of focusing on getting MORE protein or focusing on getting less starch (potatoes, rice, bread, pasta, etc).
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Fat is not the devil.... you need good fats though, like avocado.
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    I am on a 40/40/20 plan myself and my diet is not void of fruits, vegetables or grains. This is the plan my dietitan set up for me given that I have hypothyroidism and PCOS. I've lost 12lbs since June 1.

I also have hypothyroidism. Hmm. Curious as to how you keep your proteins so high, while keeping your fats so low. That is my biggest struggle. My fat is always way too high.
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options

Honestly, you will not be missing any fruits and vegetables if you are down at 40, the thing that I miss that I've cut out mostly is oatmeal. I miss oatmeal so much because I was eating it for breakfast daily. I'm taking a 3 day back packing trip with my husband so I can have oatmeal. Not really, but I am looking forward to oatmeal.

Right now, I eat most of my carbs through fruits and vegetables, you can get a lot of volume from those carb-calories from the fruits and veggies! I get the rest through brown rice or beans. I rarely eat bread anymore and obviously not much oatmeal. My dietitian recommended a protein-oatmeal snack, but there isn't much room for maple syrup and copious amounts of brown sugar in her recommended snack. :laugh:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Its always listed as Carbs/Protein/Fats

Where? I usually see it CFP. Even MFP lists CFP.
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    Wow, I love reading all of these responses. I am gonna go change my profile settings so that my food diary is public. That way you can all look at it if you want. Or you can request me as a friend if you want :).

The thing that I struggle with most is getting my proteins high, and my fats low. It seems like they always move up together. If anyone wants to take a look and maybe give me some good protein/low fat options, I would greatly appreciate it!

Forgive the teeny bites of bad foods. I work at a restaurant, and it is hard not to nibble throughout the day ;).