Curious about 40/30/30 Diets...

Options

Replies

• SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I am on a 40/40/20 plan myself and my diet is not void of fruits, vegetables or grains. This is the plan my dietitan set up for me given that I have hypothyroidism and PCOS. I've lost 12lbs since June 1.

I also have hypothyroidism. Hmm. Curious as to how you keep your proteins so high, while keeping your fats so low. That is my biggest struggle. My fat is always way too high.

Lean cuts of meat, fat-free or low fat Greek yogurt, fat-free or low-fat cottage cheese, skim milk, protein powder, egg whites, lots of seafood... I use nuts or nut butters to bring UP my fat percentages sometimes because they'll be too low. I make an awesome protein smoothie that I call the Triple threat because it has pasteurized egg whites, Greek yogurt and protein powder and they're all great sources of protein!
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options
    I am on a 40/40/20 plan myself and my diet is not void of fruits, vegetables or grains. This is the plan my dietitan set up for me given that I have hypothyroidism and PCOS. I've lost 12lbs since June 1.

I also have hypothyroidism. Hmm. Curious as to how you keep your proteins so high, while keeping your fats so low. That is my biggest struggle. My fat is always way too high.

My plan is:

Breakfast: 1:1 carb-to-protein, 10g of fat - usually I eat almonds with 6oz fat free greek yogurt mixed with 6oz low-sugar fruit yogurt.

Snack: Optimum Nutrition Natural Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein (Chocolate) with water + nectarine, peach, apple, strawberries - whatever fruit I find exciting. Alternatively, I can have 2 lite string cheese sticks - but I find that much string cheese too salty and prefer the protein shake.

Lunch: 4-6oz of protein (depending on how lean, if I eat chicken breast, I get 6oz, but if I am eating beef, its only 4oz) + veggies (usually a cup - sometimes more if its salad greens). I also have a choice of 100 calories (25g) of carb - I can have 100 calorie bread or beans or rice OR 100 calories of fruit - I usually opt for the fruit again.

Snack: Chobani fruit yogurt (one that is as close to 1:1 as possible, some are 6g apart, I usually go for those)

Dinner: same as lunch.
  • LittleRedBird18
    LittleRedBird18 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Lean cuts of meat, fat-free or low fat Greek yogurt, fat-free or low-fat cottage cheese, skim milk, protein powder, egg whites, lots of seafood... I use nuts or nut butters to bring UP my fat percentages sometimes because they'll be too low. I make an awesome protein smoothie that I call the Triple threat because it has pasteurized egg whites, Greek yogurt and protein powder and they're all great sources of protein!

Oddly enough, I am incredibly allergic to eggs, and fairly allergic to dairy, but most hard cheeses seem to not bother me too much. But if I eat yogurt (which I miss sooooo much), or drink cow's milk, I break out in hives and get ear infections. Not to mention have trouble wheezing and breathing. I am a mess! Any other sources of protein that are low fat? I have been eating nuts to get the protein up, but there is so much fat in them!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    There are 6.7 billion people in the world and many different phenotypes.

Through simple statistical analysis, people can determine the exact macronutrient profile that would best achieve their goals.

I, for one, determined that my body fat % decreases the most when I eat 25% C - 30% P - 45% F. Those macronutrient percentages work for many people who share my phenotype. You, however, may be completely different.

I never understood why people don't simply open up a spreadsheet and use simple correlation and regression analysis to figure these things out rather than have these senseless "one-size fits all" discussions and debates.

Any time someone recommends that you blindly follow some fixed percentages and you follow those recommendations, assume that your results -- at best -- won't be optimal.
  • Preacher224
    Preacher224 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am at 45/20.35 but I eat a lot of monosaturated fats. Olive oil in particular. I am also in a weight loss stage right now. When I change to a buliking stage I will up my protiens almost double and carbs a bit and lower my fats to about 25%. I will try to get 1 - 1.5 grams of protein for each pound of body weight. I have done this before with no problem with kidney function. My suggestion is to find what works for you. Accomplishing goals, feeling energetic blood panels in acceptable levels etc.. I would avoid very low carb diets such as Atkins and others without the help of a nutritionist and even a Dr, to monitor things like kidney functions and ketones and other things. These diets work well if done safely and with professional help. Although most of the weight loss in the first weeks is due to the extreme diarrhea that comes as a result of the diet which causes a person to lose water weight very quickly. On good rule is: If it sounds extreme then it is probably best passed by unless monitored by a professional. A good all around diet for just about anyone is the "Mediterranean" diet tweeked to suit your personal preferences. Those who eat this diet are some of the most healthy people on earth as a whole. Remember, this is a diet similar to what Jesus ate and I believe he was the healthiest person that ever lived. Not preaching, just my opinion. Any one feel free to add me to your friends list if you like. I am not always very active at posting comments due to my schedule. But I am on everyday and will post on occasion. I will also answer any direct messages I get. So feel free to send me one if you have any questions. I don't know everything, but after 20+yrs of study and practice I have learned a bit and am willing to share.
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    [/quote]

My plan is:

Breakfast: 1:1 carb-to-protein, 10g of fat - usually I eat almonds with 6oz fat free greek yogurt mixed with 6oz low-sugar fruit yogurt.

Snack: Optimum Nutrition Natural Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein (Chocolate) with water + nectarine, peach, apple, strawberries - whatever fruit I find exciting. Alternatively, I can have 2 lite string cheese sticks - but I find that much string cheese too salty and prefer the protein shake.

Lunch: 4-6oz of protein (depending on how lean, if I eat chicken breast, I get 6oz, but if I am eating beef, its only 4oz) + veggies (usually a cup - sometimes more if its salad greens). I also have a choice of 100 calories (25g) of carb - I can have 100 calorie bread or beans or rice OR 100 calories of fruit - I usually opt for the fruit again.

Snack: Chobani fruit yogurt (one that is as close to 1:1 as possible, some are 6g apart, I usually go for those)

Dinner: same as lunch.
    [/quote]

Thanks so much! Short of having to find something to replace yogurt cuz I am allergic, that gives a good idea of how to lay it all out.
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

I also do 40/40/20 and have hypothyroidism.
  • ShannonGo
    Options
    I am sorry about the dairy issue! Have you tried any of the goat's milk yogurts?

My dietitian recommends Power Crunch protein cookies - the two that I like the most are available at Trader Joe's - the Peanut Butter Fudge and Triple Chocolate - these are very much like those layered wafer cookies, but covered in chocolate. The Triple Chocolate is 10g carb, 13g protein and 13g fat. I sometimes skip the almonds in at breakfast so that I have "room" in my diet for one of these protein bars at either of my snacks.
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    There are 6.7 billion people in the world and many different phenotypes.

Through simple statistical analysis, people can determine the exact macronutrient profile that would best achieve their goals.

I, for one, determined that my body fat % decreases the most when I eat 25% C - 30% P - 45% F. Those macronutrient percentages work for many people who share my phenotype. You, however, may be completely different.

I never understood why people don't simply open up a spreadsheet and use simple correlation and regression analysis to figure these things out rather than have these senseless "one-size fits all" discussions and debates.

Any time someone recommends that you blindly follow some fixed percentages and you follow those recommendations, assume that your results -- at best -- won't be optimal.

Wow. There are a lot of big words here that I don't understand, lol. How would you go about doing such a thing? I honestly have no clue what you are talking about, although I do appreciate the response.
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options

Oddly enough, I am incredibly allergic to eggs, and fairly allergic to dairy, but most hard cheeses seem to not bother me too much. But if I eat yogurt (which I miss sooooo much), or drink cow's milk, I break out in hives and get ear infections. Not to mention have trouble wheezing and breathing. I am a mess! Any other sources of protein that are low fat? I have been eating nuts to get the protein up, but there is so much fat in them!

Okay, so you're not a vegetarian though, right? That leaves turkey, ground turkey, chicken breast, salmon, tuna, shrimp, scallops, crab, imitation crab (surimi), lunch meats, black beans (and most other beans), tofu, soy, edamame, 93/7 ground beef, tilapia (any kind of white fish really), and quinoa. I'm also sure that there are other things I'm missing.

Also venison is quite low fat for being red meat and you can buy lean cuts of beef.
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    If I could find a goat's milk yogurt, I would eat it all up!!! I have looked, but just can't seem to find one. I was starting to think that maybe they didn't exist. I will look into those protein bars. They sound like a yummy "treat" that could work into my plan.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I'm at 40/30/30 and am doing really well on it.
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    Thanks for the list of proteins. I will try to start incorporating more of those. I don't necessarily like all of them, lol. But I am sure I could experiment to find a way to like them :). For some reason I forget about seafood...Quinoa. That is something I need to try to make at home. I have only had it in restaurants. Is it easy to prepare?
  • ShannonGo
    Options
    If I could find a goat's milk yogurt, I would eat it all up!!! I have looked, but just can't seem to find one. I was starting to think that maybe they didn't exist. I will look into those protein bars. They sound like a yummy "treat" that could work into my plan.

Another one... Fit n' Crisp by Promax. This is ridiculous, like "awesome ridiculous." The vanilla version is like a Rice Crispy Bar with 13g of protein (and 17g of carb) with only 3g of fat. The cinnamon version was likened to Cinnamon Toast Crunch by my husband...
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    Thanks for the list of proteins. I will try to start incorporating more of those. I don't necessarily like all of them, lol. But I am sure I could experiment to find a way to like them :). For some reason I forget about seafood...Quinoa. That is something I need to try to make at home. I have only had it in restaurants. Is it easy to prepare?

Here are some step by step instructions. It's a lot like cooking rice.

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/basic-quinoa.php

I love it with diced vegetables and chicken broth.
  • ShannonGo
    Options
    Also... you could make your own goat's milk yogurt... I see yogurt makers at William Sonoma for $50.
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    Also... you could make your own goat's milk yogurt... I see yogurt makers at William Sonoma for $50.

Actually it's a little messy but you can totally do it without the machine. You'll need cheesecloth though.
  • ShannonGo
    Options

Actually it's a little messy but you can totally do it without the machine. You'll need cheesecloth though.

Yogurt makers look less mess :laugh:
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options

Yogurt makers look less mess :laugh:

:flowerforyou: That's for sure. I just wanted to state that it can be done if someone wanted to do it but didn't have the money for the machine.
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    Thanks for the good ideas. I will try out the quinoa. That sounds fun. As for the yogurt, I don't know if I am that ambitious, lol. We'll see.