Grrrrr - people just don't understand

Options

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    My Dad also sabotages everyone's diets by putting donuts and stuff in the break room at work.
    Learn some self-control. No one is sabotaging your diet by making food available. There will always be food available to you. Learn to deal with it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I eventually had to get nasty with my fat coworkers who wouldn't stop poking fun at my "lifestyle change". I snapped one day and just told them I made my "lifestyle change" because I was tired of being looking like them. Mean, I know. But they stopped. ;D
    A friend/co-worker of mine (former Marine in excellent physical condition) used to deflect it by jokingly saying "I don't put that poison in my body". It became a standing joke between all of us, but we knew he was serious behind the humor.
  • ChelleFeegan
    ChelleFeegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    How dare people want to spend time with you!! The nerve of your friends inviting you out to lunch... Guess what - you're the one trying to change your habits, not everyone else. If you want to actually make the necessary changes to reach your goals, you're going to have to learn how to go out with friends every once in a while without acting like people are actively trying to sabotage your life.

Wow you are well supportive aren't you... I was purely venting which I was sure was allowed on a message board..

To all the others that have posted, thank you - I know it's not a diet it's a lifestyle change and that I can't stop living my life and trust me I haven't - I am making better choices when I go out and I've learnt the magic words "no thank you" I'll get there it just seemed every person today had plans that revolved around food

Onwards and upwards they say :)
  • EnergyYesPlease
    Options
    It's ok that your friends want to go out to eat with you, just eat healthy when you are out and about, no reason to be mad at your friends. It's you who makes the choice on what you consume so you can only be mad at yourself in the end if you eat crappy that day/evening... I love going out to eat with friends, and ask for the nutrition facts so I make sure to try something new but within my calorie limits :)) :))
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    You can eat out without destroying your hard work. If you are going to popular restaurants or chains, the nutrition values are readily available online, so check before you go out so you can know what to order. Most restaurants now have healthy options too so ask when you get there. You should never put your social life on hold because of your lifestyle change, instead learn to make wise choices in such situations. I go out to eat with my friends all the time, my lifestyle change has not affected our friendship in anyway. Be smart and make wise food choices, thats all that really matters.
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Seriously!! How man times do I have to tell to people I am on a diet....

Let's go out for dinner here
    Let's go to lunch here
    I know let's all go here
    Oh I know chelle let's go here
    Oh I know you like these doughnuts I'll buy extra and dump them in front if you
    Hey it's my birthday you HAVE to have cake
    Oh look the vending machine broke at work legs dump all the goodies on Michelle's desk..

Damn it!!

Thankfully I haven't given in but by god its given me the hump!!!!

Love this!!! I feel ya!
  • PixiePickle
    PixiePickle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Now don't get me wrong, I do appreciate being asked if I want a cream cake or chocolate or sweets of pizza etc, but if I politely decline, just leave it!!! don't go on about it, just because they haven't had the will power to say no themselves. :grumble:
    and I love a night out with my friends and I will adjust my eating/exercise to factor this in. There's nearly always a sensible option on the menu and if not, there's no law that says you have to clear your plate. :drinker:
    If you indulge on a special occasion don't sweat it, tomorrow is another day. However, you have the right to say no and any real friends should respect this and not bang on about it as if trying to break will is a sport to them.:mad:
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    How dare people want to spend time with you!! The nerve of your friends inviting you out to lunch... Guess what - you're the one trying to change your habits, not everyone else. If you want to actually make the necessary changes to reach your goals, you're going to have to learn how to go out with friends every once in a while without acting like people are actively trying to sabotage your life.

^^This....it's a life-style change. Not crawl under a rock and become a hermit. end/

For some it's a lifestyle change. For some, it's a diet.
  • analisa77
    analisa77 Posts: 10
    Options
    Unfortunately, that will never go away. There will always be saboteurs in your life. Just hang in there and stick to your guns. :smile:
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, my husband is constantly offering my ice cream, and bite of his breakfast and burgers and brats, then I say no and he says one bite isnt going to hurt, then I say no again and he jokingly acts all offended and says "well fine then", ugh
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Seriously!! How man times do I have to tell to people I am on a diet....

Let's go out for dinner here
    Let's go to lunch here
    I know let's all go here
    Oh I know chelle let's go here
    Oh I know you like these doughnuts I'll buy extra and dump them in front if you
    Hey it's my birthday you HAVE to have cake
    Oh look the vending machine broke at work legs dump all the goodies on Michelle's desk..

Damn it!!

Thankfully I haven't given in but by god its given me the hump!!!!

let me help you with your list:

Let's go out for dinner here <-- GO. Have fun. Eat light.
    Let's go to lunch here <-- GO. Have fun. Eat light.
    I know let's all go here <-- GO. Have fun. Eat light.
    Oh I know chelle let's go here <-- GO. Have fun. Eat light.
    Oh I know you like these doughnuts I'll buy extra and dump them in front if you < -- say thanks, dont eat them... unless you can fit it in your calories/macros
    Hey it's my birthday you HAVE to have cake < -- eat a bite.
    Oh look the vending machine broke at work legs dump all the goodies on Michelle's desk.. < -- run. you're being setup as the vending machine vandal. the evidence is on your desk.
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would steer clear of in that list is the doughnuts. Even McDonalds does salad so why not go with them but just choose healthy options?

MrDude: totally!
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm totally a social eater. I just try and look at the menu online so I know exactly what I can have and stay within reason. I totally get what you're saying. I LOVE DONUTS! My honey keeps buying me donuts on the weekend and I keep telling him NO but it's so hard :tongue:
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    People around me can similarly force food on me when I'm trying to eat healthily. I've learned to just anticipate those times and save calories for it. Or if I were offered some cake, for example, I'd just indulged them with a small portion; not enough to throw me off for the day.

Admittedly, it can be hard sometimes, though. This weekend, my mom bought licorice (she likes to binge on the weekends); I couldn't help but grab at least one piece every time I passed through the living room. >.<
  • kristinacottle
    Options
    You can have one donut, once in a while. You can have a slice of cake on a birthday. It should be a lifestyle change and are you never going to have cake on a birthday ever again? Moderation is key, and it's awesome that you're watching what you put in your body, but it's okay to have a treat every now and again. We're not robots.
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    A couple years ago one of my coworkers began a very strict low carb diet. She didn't announce it to the whole company and only mentioned it to a few of us she was closer with. It took a few times of her telling us that no, she couldn't have what we were offering because of the high carb content, before we really started paying attention. Honestly, we were trying to be supportive, but most of us didn't realize the actual numbers that she was looking closely at. We didn't realize how high the numbers really were.

I found the same thing happen when I started logging my daily foods into MFP. I honestly didn't realize how many calories some of my favorite foods really had until the numbers were in front of me in black and white.
    I used to think that one little piece of coffee cake that someone had brough into work wouldn't hurt as long as I ate a healthy lunch. Then I looked it up and found out that one piece of coffee cake would be adding so many extra calories and so much extra sugar that I chose to save those for something else later in the day.

I totally agree with the people who have chimed in here about changing lifestyle, not going on a diet. I won't stick to a "diet". I just won't. Doesn't matter how lenient the "diet" is, just using that word makes me feel like I have to deny myself of things I previously found comforting and enjoyable.
    Instead, I am learning that a couple of bites provides more joy than a whole bowl because I still got to have my "comfort food" and all the good feelings that come with it, but I can easily work off the few extra calories and feel good about myself.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The poor girl is just venting out some stress--she didn't call her friends terrible people or anything! It can be hard when you are losing weight to hang out with friends and keep to your plan. It can be hard on the willpower and on having to estimate nutrition info--even restaurants that release the info often differ from what is actually served due to variations on portion size and ingredients.

I also don't understand why when people post these needing support threads, people tell them to eat the doughnut and the cake. What if she doesn't want to? What if she had cake yesterday? What if she's afraid that reminding herself of how good sugar tastes will make her struggle with her willpower that much more all week?

We all say no to foods all the time. It's up to each of us when and how we do that. Even people who are saying that this is a lifestyle change, moderation ... they still say "no" even to themselves. Otherwise, why aren't they the same weight they were before? (Assuming they had weight to lose.)
  • DeeMcG11
    DeeMcG11 Posts: 21
    Options
    There are definelty people out there who will sabotage you! I am surrounded by them and I have started to call them on it, it works. I just simply say, quit sabotaging me. I also ask questions about the meal and how it was cooked. I ate out last night and the person cooking loaded butter on all the veggies, knowing I was eating healthy??????? So I questioned her on it, her reply was "oh I guess I shouldn't have done that? Ummmmm duh! ya think! Then there are situations where you just need to stay strong. We have donuts on our staff room table 24/7, everyone who comes in from out of town brings in a big box of Tim Hortons. Everytime I enter the staff room I have to be strong. As far as saving up calories if you know you are going to eat out, that is do-able, but often eating out is spur of the moment, which makes it harder.....................
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Now I have to tell people "I don't eat that," instead of "I can't eat that I'm on a diet". Indeed, it is a lifestyle change that you are in control of, so put yourself in control. Counter the food/restaurant with another offer of spending time together food free (a walk, picnic (where you can bring your own yummies), meet for coffee/tea, etc.

As for people throwing candy on your desk, well, that's just plain rude. Probably jealous of you and your healthy lifestyle. Anyway, you don't eat that stuff so just throw it in your garbage can. They will probably come and start raiding your garbage! haha

Good luck - I know it's a very frustrating situation.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Barbecues are hard for me. I feel your pain. Try suggesting alternatives to food outings. I took my family hiking for Mother's Day.