Mean People Suck.

Options
2»

Replies

• haley6251993
    Options
    Take what they said with a grain of salt. There will always be people that can't put a lid on their mouths and say ridiculous things. I'm sure this wasn't the first time someone's words hurt you, and I can bet you it wont be the last. Just brush it off and try not to dwell on it, doing so will only hurt you in the long run anyway.

Keep your head up dear, things will be okay!
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    judge mental people...screw them. Jerks!!!

As far as your bf- he probably needed to get it off his chest, and telling anyone other than you could be further insulting, no? I'm sure if he realized how much it hurt you he wouldnt have told you.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Most guys are dumb like that. We think we're doing the right thing and it turns out to be wrong. Cut him some slack. He loves you. Oh, and you're right. Mean people do indeed suck.

This! Sorry that happened, but I'm sure your boyfriend just felt so strongly about how rude they were that he wanted to tell you.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Sorry, correction - fiance!

And you should put no stock in what those people say or think - you are gorgeous! :flowerforyou:
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    judge mental people...screw them.

You're judging them on the basis of what someone was told that they said with no context whatsoever. Isn't that......... Judgemental?
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    A lot of people have problems with saying before they think, and I don't want to seem ageist (is that a word?) but some older folks, depending on the era they were raised in and so on, tend to be the worst. My mother's in her 60s and talks like that about black people, but she has it in her head every black person is a ghetto thug drug dealer that lives on welfare.

It really is bothersome and I don't think they mean it to be, well, mean but that's how it comes out and we get hurt or mad. I know I have very short hair and sometimes wear a bandana to the gym which covers all my hair and I've had people think I'm a cancer patient, and one guy even said "I thought cancer made you skin and bones, but you're fat." It really bothered me and when I took off the bandana he felt bad, but it was just him being a nosy parker.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Why do you think they thought you might be sick?

People are mean, soothe soothe strokes ego.

Seriously tho. Why do you think they thought you might be sick?
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    one guy even said "I thought cancer made you skin and bones, but you're fat." It really bothered me and when I took off the bandana he felt bad, but it was just him being a nosy parker.

No, THAT was as rude and insensitive as you can possibly imagine!
  • MyNameIsJess24
    Options
    Even if I came across someone that was 700lbs, I would never go up to a stranger that I didn't know and be like, "what is wrong with that fat guy" or whatever. I would never say something like that to anyone, especially about weight. That is such a sensitive subject for people and to come out and say it to someone they don't even know...it's just rude.

And as for your fiance telling you, I think men are kind of hardwired a certain way where somebody said something about you, he defended you and then he wanted to tell you that he defended you so it's like good job, you defended me, you're magical. They don't think, this is going to hurt her feelings if she finds out, it's she is going to think I'm amazing because I defended her.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    one guy even said "I thought cancer made you skin and bones, but you're fat." It really bothered me and when I took off the bandana he felt bad, but it was just him being a nosy parker.

No, THAT was as rude and insensitive as you can possibly imagine!

Actually it's not. I've had worse things said to me. That wasn't even a direct insult, it was someone making a poorly worded observation/thought aloud at me. Something like "you shouldn't wear that bandana, it makes you look sick and you're too fat to be sick so quit trying to get pity by faking cancer" would be highly insensitive and rude.
  • louised88
    louised88 Posts: 159
    Options
    judge mental people...screw them.

You're judging them on the basis of what someone was told that they said with no context whatsoever. Isn't that......... Judgemental?

Yes, and? What context could possibly justify making personal remarks about a stranger? Or making invasive and un-asked for comments? Calling someone out on bad behaviour is not the same at as as what these people did, and it's silly to pretend otherwise.

It's like if someone said "All Irish people are rude!", That's judgmental, turning to that person and telling them that it's not an ok thing to say is not judgmental, it's a refusal to stay silent in the face of unacceptable behaviour.
  • 4myhealth77
    4myhealth77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I really dont know what they meant by "sick". Im assuming that since I work at a gym, I apparently have no business being fat. lol Therefore, I must be sick....*shrugs*