Annoyed with 'obsessed' comments

Options

Replies

• L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I like to get my workout in first thing in the am so it's done and nothing that comes up later in the day throws me off schedule. Depending on my schedule, this may mean getting up at 4 am to 'get er done'. Many people (including one today) have told me this is obsessive. I totally disagree - I think it's a commitment. Anyone else experience this 'feedback'?

Nope...but it's because I am not a morning person! :tongue:

That said, I still try to get my runs finished in the morning...otherwise the day tends to get 'away from me' or all of a sudden I might have to be somewhere or it starts raining, so I know why you like getting your workout in first thing... :drinker: :flowerforyou: cheers to ya!
    Ignore the naysayers!
  • tishad58
    tishad58 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it is jealousy. For some reason, successfully losing weight is almost guaranteed to bring out the b*tch in some people around us. I just keep my mouth shut about it unless I am around people who are known to be supportive.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    If you are happy, that is all that matters. You found a way to make it work for you and that is great!

Ignore the naysayers because they don't understand and don't need to.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I hear that I am "obsessed" all of the time by coworkers when we are trying to decide on what to order in for lunch or where to go out. I simply refuse to sabotage myself and my hard work. They don't get it.
  • macantrell
    macantrell Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Some said something that stuck with me, "What other people think of me is none of my business".

I am thinking they are jealous of your commitment and your will power. I think it is SO awesome, I wish I had the determination to get up that early too! Congratulation you have accomplished more than a lot of us, celebrate that!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Sounds like someone is jealous?????

To be prefectly honest I WISH I could get up in the am and work out but I am just not built that way! I am a night owl. Does it mean what your doing is wrong in my optinion? Hell no, just means it's not right for ME!! This is your journey, do as you may!!!

Congrats on all your hard work. It has defintely paid off!!!

Colette

Agreed!! I'm a night owl too. I have worked out at midnight at the tennis courts (with the lights on). Does that make me obsessed, just because my workout isn't during "normal hours"? No! It works for you. You do what you do, let her do what she's doing, and figure out which one is working.
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm just in awe. You seem to be a highly determined and very organized person who is finding the elusive ticket to fitting everything into a day. Way to go! :)
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    :smile:

To be prefectly honest I WISH I could get up in the am and work out but I am just not built that way! I am a night owl. Does it mean what your doing is wrong in my optinion? Hell no, just means it's not right for ME!! This is your journey, do as you may!!!

Colette

Can't imagine why - she's beautiful and fit :smile: Believe me I NEVER thought I'd be getting up to exercise - all I could do to get out of bed at 7 am just a few short months ago. Funny how priorities change. Thanks Collette!
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    For the past 10 years or so I've very often worked out between the hours of 11 pm and 1AM or even later thanks to memberships at 24 hr gyms in SF and NYC. Still often do. I don't see that what time you fit in exercise should be reason to judge your mental health.

Other things we do don't arouse such "concern." But anything to do with fitness, diet, or nutrition seems to quickly be deemed obsessive, especially among women I think. Guys who are fitness nuts don't get bothered, but I hear so often girls clucking over so and so who is just "too skinny."
  • MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The trick is to just not talk about your workouts to people who are not supportive.

I guess that's part of what bothered me about the comment today - it came from a colleague and friend who was very supportive initially. She is very fit, completed a half marathon lately and works out herself - sometimes as late as 10 pm! I used to travel with her on business, and she would do crunches while waiting for me to get ready. Now I'M obsessed? Strange to me. Thanks for all your comments everyone!

You poor thing, what a disappointment and slap in the face.
    It sounds like your colleague is a night owl like me. I can't imagine a pre-dawn work out, but you probably can't face late night activity. Perhaps a gentle "I'm a morning person" would do the trick?
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    There's a saying I've heard that you might appreciate: "Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."
    ^^^ This
  • saramariebabyy
    Options
    i get up every morning at 3:45am to be at the gym by 4am to work out. :) i agree, its commitment!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Someone apparently doesn't know what an obsession is. You've made a schedule. I have a morning schedule that's always the same, it doesn't mean I have an obsession with some part of it, it's just what I do. But I suppose it was more about the context. People often think that weight lifting/running/exercise in general has to be an obsession thing otherwise why do it because it's perceived as a "have to" activity more than a "want to" one. It's a common misconception unfortunately.

Odd that it came from who it did, but considering what she does and what you do are a bit different I suppose she can still see it from the outside looking in rather than a kindred activity.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I like to get my workout in first thing in the am so it's done and nothing that comes up later in the day throws me off schedule. Depending on my schedule, this may mean getting up at 4 am to 'get er done'. Many people (including one today) have told me this is obsessive. I totally disagree - I think it's a commitment. Anyone else experience this 'feedback'?
    depends on the look in your eyes when you talk about it :wink:
    as a total non-morning person (my earliest workout to-date started at 10am) i have to say i admire your dedication. if i were talking about a 6am workout, it would be totally fictitious....
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Obsession is what lazy people call determination.
  • masked_habit
    Options
    I've been told by many of my friends that I'm crazy for waking up that early to workout or for working out as much as I do. I like to workout and it works for me so I just ignore what they say and listen to them complain about wanting to lose the weight but being too lazy to go exercise.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    depends on the look in your eyes when you talk about it :wink:
    as a total non-morning person (my earliest workout to-date started at 10am) i have to say i admire your dedication. if i were talking about a 6am workout, it would be totally fictitious....

Too funny - my eyes glaze over and I start chanting 'Jilllllian, Jilllian, Jillllian'. Nothing strange or anything :laugh:
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    To achieve something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done.

- former night owl, now gets to bed by 10:30p so I can walk/run two miles at 6:00am (working on week 4 of C25K)
  • almart007
    almart007 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Colette

I used to get up around 4:oo am and work out at home before a woman named Katrina ruined my home gym. Since then I haven't been able to motivate myself to get up drive to a gym and work out I belonged to the y for a year and used it twice. Afternoon workouts are almost impossible since my work schedule is ever changing from one day to the next. I have had days where I planned on getting off at 4:30 and not been able to get home until 7 or 8 pm. Your not obsessed you're looking out for number one for a change.
  • AngelAtkins61
    AngelAtkins61 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My brother used to get up daily at 4am for the same reasons. You are no more obsessed than any of us who do whatever possible to get that work out in.
    I work 12 hour days. I get 90 minutes for lunch. I go to the park and walk 4-4.5 mph for about an hour of that and get MAD if it rains or I get out late and cant get my walk in.
    I go home and do aerobic step for usu 45-60 min or more. I do my main stuff at night. After a 12-16 hour absence from home.
    So I guess we are all a bit obsessed then huh?
    ITS ALL GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!