Annoyed with 'obsessed' comments

Options

Replies

• DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Sorry, what's wrong with being obsessed?
    In all seriousness, you have made awesome progress despite your busy schedule. Good on ya.
    Maybe just share your workout stuff with people who understand/care.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Obsession is what lazy people call determination.

It's also what sane people call the obsessed.

There's not enough information to make a determination either way, in this case.

But to the OP, seems like you are doing all the right things. Congrats on being so near your goal, and yes, it's probably just the sweet sweet sound of jealousy you hear. Relish it, I say!
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I got told I was obsessive and 'you're just getting stupid wit this now' as well over my workouts and diet as well as the comment that always baffles me 'but why are you doing it?'

It all just adds to the pile of *kitten* that motivates me more, kudos to you for being a determined individual :happy:
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    The trick is to just not talk about your workouts to people who are not supportive.

^^ THIS! I have found a supportive community where I can talk about what I do but find others get annoyed because its all they *hear*
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    As a matter of habit I don't talk about my workouts/diet with anyone at all, except my wife, unless I am specifically asked. And even then I will say the minimum.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I spend between 30 mins and 1hour 30 a day exercising. But the norm is about 45mins.

I spend a couple of hours a day watching TV.

People often say I'm obsessed with exercise. The last person who said I was obsessed with TV was my dad circa 1980.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    There's a saying I've heard that you might appreciate: "Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."

Yes I've used this phrase recently as my Mother in Law told me I was "crazy" for running in the 100+ degree heat. If it makes you feel better I was up at 3 am today to get a kick *ss workout in! Will do it again tomorrow!
  • lleabrooks
    lleabrooks Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think "DEDICATED" is a more appropriate description here. In one ear- out the other! :smile:
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I like to get my workout in first thing in the am so it's done and nothing that comes up later in the day throws me off schedule. Depending on my schedule, this may mean getting up at 4 am to 'get er done'.

In rock climbing, we call this the 'alpine start'. I don't do it all the time, but I have gotten up at 4am to beat the crowds on long routes with a long hike to get to the base of the cliff. You do what you do to get what you want out of life. You haven't sacrificed anything or hurt anyone by getting up by 4am. You are just doing what you enjoy.

I bet the person didn't mean to offend you, though. They just don't understand your drive! :)
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    I'm a night person, but life situation has required me to start waking up around 5:20am to get to work around 7:30. I'm seriously contemplating adding a morning workout before that, because I find myself completely drained by the time the evening rolls around. So I guess I must be obsessed too! Or at least, potentially obsessed.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    This is crazy to me...If I knew someone that woke up at 4 to work out, I would think they were super committed absolutely. If I was a morning person I totally would, but getting up at 6 for work is to hard for me so I always work out when I get home @ 4 and that works for me.

However, I would love to have my workout done already when I get home from work so I have more time for other things!

Great Job!!
  • bevtyndall
    bevtyndall Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am also a morning person.During the fall and winter i work out at 4 am to get it done before leaving for work.Even while Im home during the summer Im up at the break of dawn getting my morning jog in.Something about the break of dawn that I love and it energizes me for the rest of the day.Its really nothing like it...
  • GoalByFifty
    GoalByFifty Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt, "obsessed" is word used by lazy people to describe the "dedicated." call me obsessed any day of the week....friends welcomed :D
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I've learned who to talk about those things with and when to just drop it. Some people don't want to hear about how I eat, exercise, or the progress I've made. And that's fine. I'm well rounded enough to talk about other things even if my health is constantly on my mind. And it's obvious when hearing about my new lifestyle is making someone feel self conscious or jealous, so I'll never push it.
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    Obsessed about working out? Not a bad thing if you ask me!!
  • Sonya139
    Sonya139 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I used to get up at 4:00am for the same reason and wish I still did. I'm just not a morning person but after reading this post I might go back to it.
  • Dress4Dolly
    Options
    Looking at health and fitness success, I'd hardly call it obsessed. A better description might be extremely motivated since you change your daily schedule, do what is needed and not to let anything get in your way. Any goal takes drives and dedication....that's not an obsession.

Remember...character is defined as continuing on with your committments long after the intial inspiration has passed!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I hear it all the time from my boss.

I tell him.... Comdedian Lily Tomlinson once said running was for those that failed at drug and alcohol abuse. So I tell them I'm not obsessed , I'm addicted :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There's a saying I've heard that you might appreciate: "Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."

We need a "like" button.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    I get soo annoyed when people say Im obsessed with fitness. They dont understand why I would rather eat oatmeal and eggs for breakfast instead of donuts and muffins. The thing that recently bothered me the most was when I posted a picture of myself on facebook, some people said things like "lay off the roids". I guess I should just take it as a compliment because Im natural but it just totally makes it seem like I haven't put in countless gym hours of hard work (missed 5 days in the past year).