Found out I'm pregnant...now what?

Options
I've been on myfitnesspal for a few months now and have done pretty good with my diet. I'm pretty close to my target weight. Been feeling a little off lately though so I took a pregnancy test this morning and guess what...it turned out positive. I was sooo close to getting down to where I wanted to be(even almost had a flat tummy). Now that I'm pregnant, what should I do? I know its bad to lose weight/diet when you're pregnant so I guess my target now is to not gain any weight til my second trimester??? Has this happened to anyone before...getting pregnant in the middle of a diet???

Replies

• girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    talk to your doctor/ob-gyn.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Start taking all the pregnancy supplements required, improve the quality/nutrition content of your food and probably up the calories. Continue exercising and staying active but change up any exercises if not safe during pregnancy.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your OB. Exercise is good while you are pregnant, but you shouldn't push yourself as hard. In reality, you only need to add about 300 calories (to your maintanence level) to be getting the right amount of nutrients while you are pregnant.

But definitely, DEFINITELY ask your OB.
  • RunDottyRun
    Options

^^^

You can pretty much kiss goodbye the flat tummy until after you've had the child (given you are keeping it, from the feel of the post I assumed you are).
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    No, but I'm hoping. :)

Talk to your doc about setting weight gain goals. Find out what amount of the weight gain is accounted for by blood volume, breast tissue, the baby's weight, etc, and then talk about what amount of weight gain is controllable. I think the usual recommendation is for between 30 - 40 lbs? So if you can keep it to the lower number, awesome. You can even still use this site to track your calories, have some control over the amount and rate of your gain, and make sure you are nourishing you and baby the way you want to.

Best Wishes!
  • lalapurple62
    Options

THIS!
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    congrats!
    im pregnant too!
    switch your calories to maintenance
    track your macros and you can still exercise:flowerforyou:
  • ElleBee615
    ElleBee615 Posts: 177
    Options

This. And CONGRATS!!! :happy:
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    you could still properly use MFP with pregnancy - it might be helpful to log your nutrition to gain the recommended 25 -35 lbs.
    and not 75! ;)

be prepared to gain weight though and it's VERY important that you do!!!

Talk to your doctor about specific nutrition goals and still log your foods! I think it's a great idea to log foods while pregnant!

congratulations btw. :)
  • Heyman09
    Heyman09 Posts: 184
    Options
    Congrats!!!! I would talk to your doc and then start taking supplements. I think if you just watch what you eat and stay active you will be fine.....Congrats again.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You can continue exercising, maybe a bit nothing really hard but moderate exercise is generally encouraged. I would say set your calories to maintain your weight and then talk to your doctor about how you should modify your diet as you progress through your pregnancy. Continue the healthy lifestyle, just modified so it's good for both of you.
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    It's possible to eat healthy all pregnancy, have a healthy weight baby, and not gain a crap ton of weight. Yes, talk to your doctor. The bigger you are, the less you should gain, etc. I ate great my pregnancy, had a healthy baby boy, and only gained 8lbs (which my doctor said was just fine). Good luck!
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    set yourself to maintain for right now. Then talk to your OB about how many calories you are consuming at the maintain setting. It USUALLY will be enough to sustain a healthy pregnancy plus keep you from gaining. You may still even continue to lose. Just make sure you talk to your OB for professional advice.
  • beka3
    beka3 Posts: 30
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!!!!! :) Thats awesome news. I would talk to your doctor and dont do any exercise until then maybe some light walking.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Switch to maintenance, eat as much healthy whole food as possible and talk things over with the OB as others have said. I don't know if you exercise intensly or not but if so I would talk that over with the doc as well.
  • katkada
    katkada Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    First of ll congratulatios!! MFP has a group just for pregnant women with great topics as well. I am 36 weeks pregnant (31 in my pic) an MFP has been great managing a healthy weight while pregnant. Prenatal pills right away and then everyday. also I don't recommend dieting but a lot of pregnant women have talked to their doctors first if they go below maintaininglevel otherwise I would at least eat to maintain right now. But see what your DR. says.
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :smile: Continue to eat healthy food! Don't aim for lower calories. You should gain a healthy amount throughout your pregnancy. Your OB/GYN can help with that.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 months postpartum. I started eating at maintenance, and I lowered the intensity of my workouts just a bit. I had the mindset that I was only going to gain 15 lbs. I gained 25 lbs, but then dropped fifteen pounds at the very end due to gestational diabetes and only being able to eat meat.

Don't freak out. Talk to your doctor about your workout regiment and how you should move forward.

Congratulations!
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    17 day diet!!! It's all healthy, nutritious food but it's organized in a way that can help you lose weight. :)
  • missattitude57
    Options
    I saw a post on pinterest about how to lose body fat percentage while pregnant...maybe check something like that out?