Found out I'm pregnant...now what?

Options

Replies

• kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My mom worked out everyday whilst she was pregnant with me (as she proudly likes reminding me, when trying to get my lazy butt to go to the gym) - she would (and still does) swim every day, and walk on incline. I don't think she was doing much leg work, aside from the walking. But she could still lift, and earlier on she was still doing squats, just staying a bit away from the leg machines.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    17 day diet!!! It's all healthy, nutritious food but it's organized in a way that can help you lose weight. :)
    Not while pregnant.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Congratulations:smile: !!

Nothing else to add to what has already been said.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    First of ll congratulatios!! MFP has a group just for pregnant women with great topics as well. I am 36 weeks pregnant (31 in my pic) an MFP has been great managing a healthy weight while pregnant. Prenatal pills right away and then everyday. also I don't recommend dieting but a lot of pregnant women have talked to their doctors first if they go below maintaininglevel otherwise I would at least eat to maintain right now. But see what your DR. says.

You look great.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It's urgent that you begin a prenatal vitamin tomorrow. Talk to the doctor about what to eat, he will tell you that you need folates and believe me you do, if you don't eat what they recommend you run the risk of spina bifida. Just stop by the doc's office and they will have a pamphlet or can let you talk with a nurse.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    When you are like 3 months I think, is when you are supposed to eat 100-200 above maintenance calories. I would say slowly up your cals and keep walking/running or whatever you do for a work out.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My mom worked out everyday whilst she was pregnant with me (as she proudly likes reminding me, when trying to get my lazy butt to go to the gym) - she would (and still does) swim every day, and walk on incline. I don't think she was doing much leg work, aside from the walking. But she could still lift, and earlier on she was still doing squats, just staying a bit away from the leg machines.

Your mom is awesome
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You should never try to lose weight while pregnant, BTW
  • ahoen
    ahoen Posts: 4
    Options
    When I was pregnant, my OB said if I was doing it before I was pregnant I could continue to do all the same things. Your body will let you know when to start taking it easy.

As everyone else said, prepare yourself for the weight gain, it's going to happen and absolutely has to to happen. BUT, if you exercise throughout your pregnancy and eat right, the weight will come off easily after the baby arrives. ;)
  • suziecue66
    Options
    When you are like 3 months I think, is when you are supposed to eat 100-200 above maintenance calories. I would say slowly up your cals and keep walking/running or whatever you do for a work out.

Like you say don't immediately have to up calories just eat to satiety. You may even end up eating less at the beginning if you have morning sickness. Its just changing your mindset to eating good nutritious food that benefits you and the baby.
  • ahelsel1970
    ahelsel1970 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am happy to say this has not happened to me. Ha ha. But I would say....enjoy the ride. What a blessing to be able to have a baby.Talk to him/her everyday!!!

My best to you,

Austin
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    There are all sorts of exercises for pregnant moms-to-be. Go talk with your doctor (you need to anyway for things like genetic testing, blood work that's routine and necessary in pregnancy, ultrasounds and things like that and to get counselling about how much and what you should be eating).
    I work with a maternity clinic and realise that there's far more done these days in prenatal care than there was 20 years ago. Genetic testing is optional still here where I live but depending on your age etc. you might want to think about that.
    Congratulations on the news and take care of your health.
  • Jeliwood
    Jeliwood Posts: 61
    Options
    No, you need to gain weight during your pregnancies! It's normal and it's needed. Watch what you eat, move, and smile because you know you're bringing something good into this world.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    17 day diet!!! It's all healthy, nutritious food but it's organized in a way that can help you lose weight. :)

Dear god do you research before advising a pregnant women to go on a 17 day diet.

This is unhealthy for ANYONE to do. You will gain all the weight back when you go off of it or any stupid crash diet like that.

Anyway OP:

I think you should be really glad you got pregnant while you're in such great shape.

It stinks that you did all this work and will now gain some weight because of pregnancy. However, you can safely continue to work out during your pregnancy. And now being at your GW will make it so much easier to get where you want to be post-pregnancy. Imagine being at your SW and then adding weight because of pregnancy. Then you'd have even more to lose once you give birth.

Of course it takes some time to lose pregnancy weight but your body is made to give birth. Therefore, it will probably be much easier to lose that weight then it was to lose the weight you already have! You should be happy that you're pregnant when you're probably the healthiest you've been in a long time.

Your of course going to have to up your calories but being healthy is even more important during pregnancy! Both for you and for your baby. But of course your focus should not be on losing weight as this is dangerous for your health and your babies. You can continue to make smart choices and work out. Speak with your doctor about your goals to stay fit and how many calories you will need to do that.

Congratulations. Once you get over the shock I bet you'll be feeling happy. This doesn't need to be a weight loss death sentence. It'll just be put on hold for a bit.

PS- Breast feeding burns major calories!
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I rode go-karts and went floating when I was pregnant- let nothing stop you from staying active.....
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! Just dont eat like your eating for two. being pregnant you only need to eat 300-500 more calories per day. And dont forget your supplements. I have always been worried about my weight during pregnancy so Ive asked my doc the last three times. He always just said eat a few more snacks, healthy like nuts. :)
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I would not do go karts or anything that can cause your stomach to hit anything( roller coasters, etc.). Stay safe!
    I rode go-karts and went floating when I was pregnant- let nothing stop you from staying active.....
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Go buy your doctor's calorie schedule and keep the exercise! There are three or four girls who go to my gym who are about to pop!
  • GeorgiaOnlyDaughter
    Options
    I'm pregnant as well (11 weeks along). Talk to your doctor of course and get some advise. Since I'm in the obese category I was advised to only gain 15-20lbs. I know your situation is different since you're almost at goal weight. Good luck and congratulations!
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I am happy to say this has not happened to me. Ha ha. But I would say....enjoy the ride. What a blessing to be able to have a baby.Talk to him/her everyday!!!

My best to you,

Austin

How beautiful :)

Yes -- weight gain, but properly.
    Take the advice given in this thread and present your questions regarding it all to whatever professional you have handling your prenatal care.

It was recommended to me not to do any exercises on my back or my side after the first trimester.
    There are also different schools of thought on what you should avoid eating during pregnancy for the health and safety of your baby: This is a topic I'm not going to broach.
    "You're eating for two!" is a fallacy in the sense that your +1 does not require the same amount of calories as you do. You will likely need more than you're eating now, but that comes later on.

To follow in Austin's shadows, enjoy the ride! Have fun with the crazy cravings (I never got any, sadly) and focus on the amazing next chapter of your life that lies ahead. Being a pregnant woman is the single most sexy feeling in the world, regardless of your size, and the 9(+/-) months go by far too quickly.

Congratulations on your journey to Mamahood!

Mandi