"Everything in Moderation"

Options
124»

Replies

• mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    As I'm reading everyone's comments I have realized that not one of you has addressed alcohol. So no one out there drinks? This is really odd to me. I know I have a drink at night either a glass of red wine or a Vodka w/sparking water and boy is it tasty! It's something I enjoy so I choose not to give it up. It goes right into my daily log just like everything else I put in my mouth.
    When I go out now, which isn't all that often, and actually sometimes at home as well, I'll get a shot of vodka in a glass with ice & mix it with Crystal Light. That way it stays low calorie and I try to keep it at 2-3 drinks.
    If you want a cookie, eat it. If you want a piece of chocolate, eat it. But what ever you do, chart it. Then what will happen is you will start to see what you can and can't live without while staying in your calorie count. Only you can do this.
    Yes, I do track everything. I find that it's an important part of being honest with myself about this whole thing.
    We've discussed moderation until hell froze over and really no one has given her the response she is looking for. It's not moderation, its self control. Everyone who is talking about eating out only 3-4 times a week, are you kidding me??? That's possibly the worst thing you can do to your body. We've been sold this bill of goods that if we work hard we deserve to eat out. What a bunch of crap! One night of eating out can ruin all the progress you have made in a matter of seconds. So I choose not to eat out, ever! Most wouldn't believe me but I would rather know whats going in my body than pay someone an over priced meal that God only knows whats in it. Plus I've worked to hard to get where I am to blow it on something that I know I can cook at home and taste better and is better for me.

Just saying........
    I rarely eat out. lol But when I have a craving... I will wait a while, see if it sticks around, if it does, I try to go ahead and get THE thing I was craving for, but it doesn't get to be "extra-party-bonus" size.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    "Everything in Moderation" sets me off for the same reason as "calories in, calories out".

It takes the focus off actually eating healthy foods and it quickly gets to justifications of what you can get away with.

You know this how?

Moderation eating(to me at least) means making healthy choices... and sometimes making not so healthy choices.

If anything moderation encourages healthy choices because you sit there and think I can have X or I can have Y? X healthy food fits in my calories today while Y junk item does not.. so I go with healthy item and wait until I have a bit more calories to have junk item.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    "Everything in Moderation" sets me off for the same reason as "calories in, calories out".

It takes the focus off actually eating healthy foods and it quickly gets to justifications of what you can get away with.

You know this how?

Moderation eating(to me at least) means making healthy choices... and sometimes making not so healthy choices.

^^^This!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There are some people who apparently can limit their alcohol intake But I believe these people are super human, possibly otherworldy, maybe even Atlanteans. Me, I will have one and then another and then another.

Sounds like a Blake Shelton song. :wink:
  • lorigreg
    lorigreg Posts: 61
    Options
    so... I do believe in everything in moderation...

I used to go to bk and have 2 whoppers large fry and large non-diet soda with two or three refills...

now a trip to bk is usually a kids meal... with ice tea (unsweetened)... moderation...

I used to bake two boxes of brownies for "dessert" for the family (5 people) and they would be gone in one setting...

now if I make brownies we immediatly pack up 1/2 to take to the widdower who lives next door and the other half lasts two or three days...

I used to drink soda (non diet) every day... now I drink a diet soda about once a week...

I look at the serving size... and I have ONE serving :) usually not more than once a day

Way to Go Jenn! I never thought of having the kids meals. That is a GREAT idea! AND I can save the toys for my grandchildren when they come over. Thank you for the suggestion.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    We've discussed moderation until hell froze over and really no one has given her the response she is looking for. It's not moderation, its self control. Everyone who is talking about eating out only 3-4 times a week, are you kidding me??? That's possibly the worst thing you can do to your body. We've been sold this bill of goods that if we work hard we deserve to eat out. What a bunch of crap! One night of eating out can ruin all the progress you have made in a matter of seconds. So I choose not to eat out, ever! Most wouldn't believe me but I would rather know whats going in my body than pay someone an over priced meal that God only knows whats in it. Plus I've worked to hard to get where I am to blow it on something that I know I can cook at home and taste better and is better for me.

Just saying........

Wow! Um, not all restaurants serve crap. I live near a pretty small town and even it has a few local restaurants that use fresh ingredients. One even specializes in dishes made with local ingredients and lists what farms they came from.

It's really only when you get into the mass produced fast food or chain restaurants that you get a lot of crap. And even then it's usually not all bad. You can usually find something healthy on the menu if you try and leave room for it in your daily diet.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What do you consider to be a 'moderate' portion or 'bad' foods? E.g. chocolate, crisps, fizzy drinks, alcohol, etc.

Easy. When it fits in my calories and macros.

If I'm getting an appropriate amount of protein, fat and carbs, and an appropriate amount of fruits and vegetables, and still have some wiggle room... then I will enjoy some ice cream or chocolate or alcohol.

Or if it's a special occasion, like a party that might only happen once a month, I'm going to have whatever the hell I want.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Several factors determine what's gonna get eaten and when -

1 - does it fit into my daily calorie goal?
    2 - what is the serving size on the package
    3 - common sense = 4 small cookie is moderation, a dozen is not

I try to reserve between 100 to 150 calories a day for a 'treat'. Skinny Cow ice cream is my favorite go to

Honestly if you can't figure out the difference between moderate and excessive....this is going to be a really painful process for you.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    The food industry has a LOT to answer to

Like what? All the information is on the box. The only reason they do what they do is because people are too lazy to figure out how much they're eating. There's nothing complicated about splitting a pizza in several pieces.

Just take responsibility for what you eat rather than give that responsibility to the food industry... If they don't have responsibility (except providing correct info on the box) then they have nothing to answer for as well.

you sir.. must own a pizza cutter.
    try cutting hot pizza on moving day with only a plastic knife.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Moderate is in regards to your daily allowed calories. Not according to your eyeballs.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation - to me this means nothing is off limits food-wise as long as its in "moderation". For some though the moderation is a problem. Some folks can have 1 slice of cake or 2/3 bites and push the rest away.

This is usually said mockingly to anyone that low carbs or does paleo or other diets that exclude certain foods.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation - to me this means nothing is off limits food-wise as long as its in "moderation". For some though the moderation is a problem. Some folks can have 1 slice of cake or 2/3 bites and push the rest away.

This is usually said mockingly to anyone that low carbs or does paleo or other diets that exclude certain foods.

I would say it's usually said in response to the million of questions asking if they can eat a certain food or food group while on a diet
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

I would say it's usually said in response to the million of questions asking if they can eat a certain food or food group while on a diet

and that too