For those who aren't "regular"...

Options
13»

Replies

• amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    There are laxative teas - "smooth move" comes to mind but I personally don't use them. They have senna leaf in them which is just another stimulant laxative that you can get dependant on. I use peppermint tea to relax my stomach I love it and tt's so much easier to go when you relax. And then I drink green tea when I am a bit behind on things to help get things moving. It's probably just the caffeine, but it works wonders. Ginger is supposed to help with digestion too although I'm not a fan of the taste.

Yea, my doc suggested the ginger tea.. I add some almond milk and it is pretty good!
  • MadeInDR022
    MadeInDR022 Posts: 260
    Options
    Its a tough one. I'm somewhat on the same boat, though I've become more regular recently...that's after a year of being on my journey. Any ways, I'd say try to follow the pattern of your um body and weigh yourselfthe day after...
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I take Fibre Force from Holland and Barrett (UK) every evening with dinner. I was having issues where it was once a week and I was really uncomfortable. This has worked and I've been taking it for over a month now. This is what's in it

Pysllium Seed Husk (seed) 666.6mg
    Apple Pectin (fruit) 5mg
    Lactobacillus Acidophilus 5.0mg
    (supplying 5 x 107 viable cells)
    Broccoli (flower) 1.0mg
    Carrot (root) 1.0mg
    Cauliflower (plant) 1.0mg
    White Kidney Bean (seed) 1.0mg
    Oat Bran (seed) 1.0mg
    Peach Fibre (fruit) 1.0mg
    Prune (fruit) 1.0mg

I take it with 250ml of water before dinner and by morning i'm all good. Oh and no crampy, gassy feelings you get with laxatives or stool softners.
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the topic, i think alot of us have this problem.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I just pooped.
  • kfalls2
    kfalls2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a similar problem & take my daily allowance of prunes & metamusil:flowerforyou: . That helps. My doctor told me NOT to take laxitaves. I eat gluten-free. You need grains & beans in your diet; brown rice, beans, lentils, gluten-free bread, etc.

Everybody tells me the same thing - it's not an easy fix. I drink tons of water & lots of vegi's & fiber. It's just not that easy! Sometimes if you are gluten intolerant, it causes constipation. Try going gluten-free & see if that helps.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem & take my daily allowance of prunes & metamusil:flowerforyou: . That helps. My doctor told me NOT to take laxitaves. I eat gluten-free. You need grains & beans in your diet; brown rice, beans, lentils, gluten-free bread, etc.

Everybody tells me the same thing - it's not an easy fix. I drink tons of water & lots of vegi's & fiber. It's just not that easy! Sometimes if you are gluten intolerant, it causes constipation. Try going gluten-free & see if that helps.
    She *may* need grains. That's what plugs me up. Metamucil too. I think everyone is different.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every day in the morning after I have a flush.
    On the morning I did not go, the scale will never go down since my body is still digesting my last night dinner.
    So you should weight yourself, the morning after ....
  • papate
    papate Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I right there with you
    Once a week. I feel you're pain.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder... how much does poop weigh even? Does it really make that much of a difference?

That said, I became more regular after I cut out dairy and gluten. :D
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the comments...

But if you only poop once a day, you should get that checked out. Most doctors, websites, etc. say that if you're healthy and eating properly you should be doing it at least once a day. Once a week is not normal for most people.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    I have to wonder... how much does poop weigh even? Does it really make that much of a difference?

That said, I became more regular after I cut out dairy and gluten. :D

Well I don't know for sure but I've gone up about 5 pounds when I'm really constipated... I usually just avoid the scale though when I look 8 months pregnant
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Same here but I found that the herbal teas really do help keep you regular.
    like smooth move etc?

They should. They contain a stimulant laxative.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You should be going at least once a day to be regular. I mean think of how many separate instances you eat. yes, your body is using what you eat, but each cell needs to get rid of waste to take in more nutrients/energy. "Regular" really should be a couple times or more a day...
  • Kathy535
    Kathy535 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, nice to know I'm not alone! I wouldn't recommend long term use of over the counter laxatives, they can make your bowel stop it's natural contractions over time and make the problem worse. I've been eating 25g of linseeds every day for the last month or so (sprinkled over my muesli) and it really has helped. From going once every 8-9 days, I now go almost every day. And as for how much a poo weighs....am I the only person who sometimes weighs themselves before and after a poo? (average weight 2lb)!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I coubt it's going to make a big difference in your weight, especially over time. If most days you have a lot of stool in there, then that is part of your weight.

If I were you I'd consider taking a daily probiotic.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I used to go once or twice a week, and it was always tough. But I thought this was totally normal. Then I became vegan, and... problem solved, been going every day for 7 years now!

I'm not saying people have to go vegan, but here's what I think happened: I went from eating barely any fiber to getting 40+ grams every day, I drastically lowered my meat consumption which meant I was filling my body with stuff that's much easier and quicker to digest, and eliminated dairy which kinda gunks things up. I would think that even a fraction of this would, at the very least, help just about anyone with this problem.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of amazed. People seriously poop every single day?

I've always gone around twice a week. I never feel sick, bloated, or constipated because of it. It's just my normal. I can't imagine going every single day, and I certainly don't think anything is wrong with me because I don't.

To the OP, maybe weigh yourself daily at the same time for a few weeks, and keep track of your pooping schedule to see if it makes any difference.
  • GettinMyLifeBck
    GettinMyLifeBck Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way and Ive been to plenty of drs and my digestive system just moves slow!!! I just started taking Psyllium husks brought it from whole foods and for a whole can it was 5.99. It seems to be working I didn't have to push or anything it was kinda cool lol I weigh myself the day after.