Need PCOS friends

Options

Replies

• JameicaDenise
    JameicaDenise Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I found out that I have PCOS 3 months ago. I don't have any kids.... feel free to add me
  • LauraMead777
    Options
    I'm 25 and have had PCOS for 6 years. I have been on Metformin before but I experience almost every side effect while taking it. My husband and I have been TTC for several years now and I'm ready to do whatever it takes. I would love any support, encouragement, and wisdom I can get lol. I've been praying and hoping for so long and now it's time to do my part. Feel free to add me =)
  • Ll1992
    Ll1992 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, i too have PCOS. Ive lost weight since joining mfp but not as much as i would like, even though ive been trying so so hard.
    Some support and encouragement from fellow pcos sufferers would be great and ill give it back :)
    Im 21 years old and irish, add me :)
  • crossuturn
    crossuturn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I have found that the best resource is www.pcosdiva.com The lady who runs the website is a health and wellness coach that has PCOS. She has a lot of research based advice. Through her website and trial and error I discovered I have gluten intolerance. Since going gluten free I have lost around 40 lbs in 4 months. Check out the website and sign up for her emails!!!
  • courtisshort
    courtisshort Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!
    My name is Courtney and I was dignosed with PCOS when I was 16, about 13 years ago. Seems like forever. At my heaviest I weighed 315 pounds. I struggled and still do struggle losing weight. I had Lapband surgery and lost about 125 pounds. With the weightloss came my beautiful baby girl! Now I am back at the weightloss game. I have lossed about 30 pounds since having my daughter. I could use and give the best support! lol. Feel free to add me!
  • Bellabooksa
    Bellabooksa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello! I too have PCOS and am now determined to lose this weight! I am so happy I found this site and there are other PCOS sisters here! I was diagnosed after my daughter was 3, since 2001. In 2007 I went through a divorce and lost 70 pounds, I'm sure stress induced, but was able to keep it off until this past year when I had a hysterectomy, keeping just my ovaries. Since my surgery last May I have gained almost about 40 pounds. I feel horrible, the acne has returned...and not just a little, but cyst like acne on my back, my face, my chest. The doctors where I reside are not too familiar with PCOS, or at least they don't seem to be very informative or willing to help, but I am taking Metformin 1700 mg a day so far, working up to 2500 mg day. I am having trouble determining which diet would work best for me...low car and low calorie combination with of course exercise. I have Taebo boot camp with resistance bands so hoping this combo will help...just curious to see what foods work for everyone. Not only am I trying to lose this weight, but I also want to feel better...I just feel so sluggish ALL the time. Thanks :)
  • nikki6_2002
    nikki6_2002 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Does anybody know the easiest and natural way of getting rid of pcos?

You cant 'get rid' of PCOS, if you've got it, you've got it for good but you can control symptoms. It depends what your goals are...are you trying to get pregnant, lose weight, stabilise periods or something else?

I was diagnosed in '94 and have managed to have 3 beautiful children but have also had 4 miscarriages. I was never overweight until I reached the age of 30 I started gaining. I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy. I find, if I watch what I eat, exercise regularly and at the moment I am taking chromium and cinnamon supplements, my symptoms are controlled. I have finished having children now, so I have a Mirena IUD and the heavy painful periods have stopped completely. I do still get nasty ovarian pain which led to my appendix being removed (when there was nothing wrong with it) but I can manage it, exercise really helps with that.
  • nikki6_2002
    nikki6_2002 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello! I too have PCOS and am now determined to lose this weight! I am so happy I found this site and there are other PCOS sisters here! I was diagnosed after my daughter was 3, since 2001. In 2007 I went through a divorce and lost 70 pounds, I'm sure stress induced, but was able to keep it off until this past year when I had a hysterectomy, keeping just my ovaries. Since my surgery last May I have gained almost about 40 pounds. I feel horrible, the acne has returned...and not just a little, but cyst like acne on my back, my face, my chest. The doctors where I reside are not too familiar with PCOS, or at least they don't seem to be very informative or willing to help, but I am taking Metformin 1700 mg a day so far, working up to 2500 mg day. I am having trouble determining which diet would work best for me...low car and low calorie combination with of course exercise. I have Taebo boot camp with resistance bands so hoping this combo will help...just curious to see what foods work for everyone. Not only am I trying to lose this weight, but I also want to feel better...I just feel so sluggish ALL the time. Thanks :)

When I first started working to lose weight I just made sure I ate under 1200 calories a day, however that was made up but found I recently stalled completely and couldn't lose more, despite going to the gym and literally working my butt off. So I decided to alter the foods I ate, still sticking to 1200calories but reducing carbs to 30%, fat 30% and protein 40%. I stopped having oats for breakfast and replaced it with a protein shake in almond milk. The only other thing I changed was to start taking chromium and cinnamon supplements (which have been shown to increase insulin sensitivity). Now I am back to slowly shifting the weight.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    The PCOS group is good and active at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3070-p-c-o-sis

lots of info and food suggestions and med ideas for new or not so new PCOSers
  • jeweleyed000
    Options
    Hey y'all... another "cyster" here. :) I've always had PCOS and was diagnosed at age 18 (25+ years ago).

Cycle wise, in my case, I've noticed a close correlation between diet and ovulation. For weight loss, for me, a low glycemic load diet works. (Not exactly the same as low glycemic index). I really need to avoid starches altogether; it's just very hard because starch is everywhere! And, I loooooove bread!

I've been around the block a few times with this disease.. taken most of the available meds and tried all sorts of things for the typical symptoms. I've been blessed with 2 children. Feel free to message or friend me if you'd like. :)
  • amylynnehicks
    Options
    I'm 21 and been diagnosed with PCOS for ten years. It is SO HARD to lose this weight. I weigh about 258 now - I was 282 at my heaviest - and it's taken me a year to get here. I really need help sticking to my eating plans so please add me! I am not very familiar with how mfp friends work but I want to be because I want the accountability. Thanks yall.
  • Bellasarah28
    Bellasarah28 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Me too! Haven't tried to conceive yet, but went off the pill last year for a little over 6 months and didn't ovulate once, which makes me very afraid. I loved the weight loss results I had off the pill, but went back on because my doctor told me that having "regular" periods would help with regulating my cycle aaaand I gained just about all my weight back. I HATE what the pill does to me - mentally and physically. Anyway, looking for friends on here who understand what this is like.

Also, I have a bottle of Adipex-P but have been too afraid to take it! How have you guys liked it, or not liked it?
  • jessicagross94
    jessicagross94 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    PCOS here as well. Boo!

Working on losing another 35 lbs, and would love some accountability with you all :)

Jessica
  • crossuturn
    crossuturn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been on Adipex-P for 4 months and just started another month of it. So far I have lost 44 lbs on it with proper diet and exercise. When I first started taking it, it was difficult to eat enough calories and I felt "wired" with lots of energy for the first week or two. However, with being followed closely by my trainer, doctor, and nutritionist I have developed healthy eating habits and exercise habits. Using Adipex-P has really helped me get through the really tough part of changing my eating and exercise to a healthy lifestyle. I also found out when I first started taking Adipex-P that I am gluten intolerant and have had to completely change what I eat. While taking Adipex-P it is really important to use the short time you are on it to develop healthy eating and exercise habits. It's not a quick fix by no means! The first month I lost 18 lbs but since I have lost on average 1-2 lbs per week, which is the healthy rate in which to loose weight. My doctor has been extremely pleased to see me loosing weight at the healthy rate. I haven't had any negative side effects from it other than the occasional dry mouth but that helps me drink enough water every day...which has always been hard for me. It wouldn't hurt to give it a try! Good Luck!!
  • rmellinger17
    rmellinger17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Please add me as a friend. I also have PCOS and have had it many years. It would be great to have the support of others with similar problems with weight gain.
  • p2smommy
    Options
    I have PCOS and after losing nearly 60lbs 3 years ago, God blessed me with a little girl. I hope I can have another child once this weight comes off, but all I can say is that it IS possible!

Don't EVER let someone tell you it's not possible or that YOU CAN'T.

After nearly 6 years of being told I was "too fat to get pregnant"..I had a miscarriage at right around 6 weeks.. Didn't really know I was pregnant long enough (3 days) to be devastated.. instead, we were elated that we COULD get pregnant. I might add that my doctor, who diagnosed me with PCOS, was the one who told me I was too fat to get pregnant. So I found an RE (We lived an hour from Charlotte NC at the time).. and within a year, we were pregnant again.. and 9 months later, we were blessed with an AMAZING miracle.

So.. no matter if it's losing weight, or having a baby.. Don't EVER let someone tell you it's not possible or that YOU CAN'T!!!
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Haven't been officially diagnosed but my GYN thinks I have it…. I have a lot of the symptoms. I am on Metformin for insulin resistance which also comes along with PCOS
  • lizfiz50
    lizfiz50 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Currently seeing a fertility doctor who is checking up on my weightloss effort. My goal is 170. I've never attempted to get pregnant, but if I don't lose weight now, it'll be impossible to get pregnant.
  • Magalabuddy
    Magalabuddy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Greetings everyone.

Just like everyone on this page, I too suffer from PCOS. I was diagnosed ten years ago. My physician has me on ortho-tricycline lo (birth control pill). “Aunt Flow” was never my main concern; my main concern was and continues to be acne. I see a dermatologist who has me on two facial creams and two oral medications. On top of these prescribed medications, I also use Proactiv to make my skin acne free. I suffer from what my dermatologist calls “severe acne vulgaris” and at my worst, my face was red and swollen with acne on top of acne.

This destroyed my self-esteem completely. Now, when I get any form of inflammation on my face, I worry and begin to freak out. I still remember what it’s like to have no confidence, no love for myself and no motivation. I do not want that girl to come back.
    I am trying to readjust my lifestyle to better help me cope with PCOS and I welcome the opportunity to have friends that will help me as much as I can help them.

Thank you.
  • xSirensSong
    xSirensSong Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hi there ~ same boat here as well!

I was diagnosed with PCOS, insulin resistance, & hypothyroidism at the beginning of this year. My body is a train wreck! >_< I try to support my friends as best as I can with the knowledge that I do have with the syndrome.

Feel free to add me ~ the more support we have, the better along this journey!

I also have a blog: transformingintoasiren.blogspot.com