Replies

• cunfewzed1
    cunfewzed1 Posts: 80
    Options
    Didn't read every post but HONEY... love it
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I always add cinnamon to mine. In addition to that, I love putting warm blueberries on top. Peanut butter and almond butter on top are also great for some added sweetness.
  • choosingsara
    choosingsara Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am starting to eat oatmeal (regular, add water, stovetop). I want to find out different ways to noticeably sweeten the oatmeal. I am turned on to oatmeal because I can have as much as a bowl of cereal, but it will fill me up better and for about half the calories. Problem being: it is so BLAND. This morning I tried adding a Valencia orange to it, while it was cooking. The flavor of the oatmeal swallowed the flavor of the orange, with no flavor output. when I ate the orange pieces, I could barely taste them.
    I am going to try Cinnamon and splenda next, but what will increase flavor in the oatmeal drastically without adding too much in calories, or sugar content? This is for one regular ceral bowl of oatmeal. Any ideas? My pantry is not that exotic, so please keep it more basic.

P.S. This is W/O the help of a microwave. I choose not to have one. helps with consumation control (effort is needed to make the food, so less is consumed)

Greek yogurt:) also try different protein powders! Many days, I like a fruity greek yogurt with some berries in my oatmeal. If you want something a bit more subtle, try vanilla soymilk
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Just cook it with MILK instead of water! Makes all the difference and you get nutrients from the milk too - BONUS:drinker:
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i use sugar-free maple syrup.........but peanut butter sounds fantastic. Now I'm hungry :)
  • monalirog
    Options
    I try to use honey, nuts, bananas, and different types berries....This can really change the taste of any oatmeal.....
  • crimsonkurls
    crimsonkurls Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Blueberries are one of my favorite things to add to oatmeal.Another one I do is mix unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon and a little maple syrup and it taste kinda like healthy apple pie!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Back when I ate oatmeal, I preferred steel cut oats. I would first toast them in a bit of (real) butter, then cooked them. Add salt when cooking. Add butter. I liked to add various things in whatever combination sounded good at the time: apples, blueberries, half a banana, cinnamon, vanilla, almonds, raisins, dried cranberries, dried fruit/berries of any sort. I tried to use as little sweetner as possible, but I liked brown sugar and honey for that. Splash of coconut milk or heavy cream over the top.
  • Alraines1
    Alraines1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal! The best way to sweeten for me is using apples and cinnamon. I peel and cut up a gala apple and steam it on the stove in a small pan i then prepare the oatmeal separately and then put the both items together in a bowl, sprinkle with cinnamon and you are good to go. The apple does add some calories but Its definitely worth it. Any type of dried fruit and nuts is a good combo too. I also like to have butter in mine (the real stuff), not a whole lot, just a small pat and on days when I am out of apples I just opt for a spoon of organic maple syrup and/or brown sugar. I know that people will gasp and swoon about using butter and sugar but I am not partial to the "faux sugars" or margarine. I can eat knock offs of everything accept butter....I digress.....Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I always put cinnamon in mine (after it's cooked, I stir it in when it's warm). I usually top with blueberries or strawberries. That said, I've never really felt the need to mask my oatmeal...I pretty much just like it.
  • KittenTikka
    Options
    I like my oatmeal (made with water) with sweetener, blueberries, apple and about 10ml of soya milk stirred in :)
  • AubreyLeong
    AubreyLeong Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Banana whipped oatmeal is the best!! I use almond milk to cut down on the calories. Here is a blog and she does a whole tribute to oatmeal and all the yummy toppings she puts in. My favorite is to add 1 tbs of coconut and a crumble a few pecan halves. Oh my goodness...tastes exactly like the topping on german chocolate cake (that is if you like coconut!)

Anyways check out her blog for some inspiration! http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Ugh oatmeal. Switch to eggs with lt sour cream and salsa
  • Emmadennewitz
    Emmadennewitz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Baked Pumpkin pie oatmeal
    Makes three servings
    1 1/2 cup oats
    2 cups water
    1 whole egg
    1 cup canned pumpkin purée
    1 tbls flaxseed meal
    2 tsp pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
    1/4 tsp allspice
    Three packets stevia
    Cook in the oven at 350 for 30 mins
    Stir and cook for an additional 10 mins
    Separate in individual containers and let cool in the refrigerator
    Best if eaten cold topped with vanilla Greek yogurt
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

I checked this out and tried out the eggs florentine oatmeal recipe this morning. Though since I didn't have any swiss cheese, I substituted 1/4 cup of reduced fat mexican cheese.

IT WAS FREAKING AMAZING. I never thought i could add spinach and eggs to oatmeal but this was great. Though next time, I'd like to try it with parmesan or swiss instead. Also, the combination of protein and fiber was super filling:-)