How much protein do you really need?

Options
2»

Replies

• illuminatusObservor
    Options
    Protein shakes are a very cost-effective means of reaching your protein requirements.

This is what I was thinking too. I like protein shakes!

How much would be a minimum if I wanted to build muscle then?
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    Thanks so much guys!

About the chicken, its is about $1.99 a pound here too, problem is i don't really like it. I force myself to eat it, and sometimes actually have to gag it down >.< was a vegetarian for a few years and still sort of struggle with meat.

I know im a pain in the *kitten* LOL

Greek yogurt has a ton of protein as well as cottage cheese, fat free cream cheese, nuts and nut butters. None of those non-meat items are terribly expensive. Frozen veggie burgers like boca and morning star have a good bit of protein in them as well but they are a little pricey. You could try lunch meats like oscar mayer's seasoned chicken breast. Also a lot of soups contain protein. Although most of the things I just mentioned are pre-packaged and will probably have a lot of sodium and additives, they are a good solution to cheap sources of protein. Hope that helps.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    Protein shakes are a very cost-effective means of reaching your protein requirements.

This is what I was thinking too. I like protein shakes!

How much would be a minimum if I wanted to build muscle then?

To build muscle you would need to eat 2-3g Protein x your body weight. I don't know what your goals are, but I've always heard its very difficult to build muscle while eating at a calorie deficit.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Seconding milk and eggs as great inexpensive sources of protein. Greek yogurt is also a good option (but more expensive).

For options besides chicken... I see pork loin on sale for $1.99/lb fairly frequently. It is a 4-5 pound pack, but here the butcher will cut it up into pork chops which are easier to store and use as you need them. Fish is also a good option. Canned tuna is inexpensive (if a little high in sodium), and canned salmon is not much more expensive.

Nuts or peanut butter are also good protein choices.