a good low cal salad dressing?

Options
I am all about sacrafice but seriously! Counting my calories, I head to the grocery store for a low calorie salad dressing. How low can you go? Well, as it turns out, you can go all the way down to zero. So I buy my zero calorie dressing and head home. Verdict: YUCK! It tastes like dirt smells.

So everyone, what are your favs when it comes to dressing?

Replies

• skelley331
    skelley331 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms Ranch Dressing
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar. :-)
  • demonkarebear04
    demonkarebear04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love the light chunky blue cheese! And the great value zesty italian light tastes like the real thing! It's my favorite!!
  • cafel3
    cafel3 Posts: 89
    Options
    Try the yogurt salad dressings which are refrigerated next to the produce in the grocery store. I think some brands are 35 cal/tablespoon.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I love Newman's Own Light Raspberry Walnut Vinagrette. 2 Tablespoons go a long way.
  • camisetgo
    camisetgo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Litehouse poppy seed dressing is really really good. Its only 60 calories per 2 tablespoons. I love poppy seed dressing, but I know some people don't. Its on the sweet side. I love it with so many different veggies.
  • aubhob
    aubhob Posts: 25
    Options
    anything rom walden farms they also have chocolate syrup and maple syrup
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    A squeeze of lemon or lime.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I am in love with this Mango salad dressing:
    http://www.health-foodie.com/2010/02/mango-salad-dressing-recipe/

It is very easy to make and since you make it, you know exactly what's in it. It's also super low-cal. It is pretty much just mango and water, with a small amount of onion powder (which makes for a really cool flavor) and some vinegar.
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Honey Mustard from Bolthouse is my absolute favorite, but all their flavors are pretty tasty.
  • barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Ken's Sweet Vidalia Onion is one of my faves, but I will check out some of the other recommendations too!
  • jc86
    jc86 Posts: 151
    Options
    bolthouse farms!!
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Wishbone Lite Ranch.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice, vinegar*, about 5g of extra virgin olive oil, mix vigorously.

*wine or cider vinegar are best, malt vinegar is a bit strong

You can make it without the olive oil, but you need some healthy fats in your diets and it does taste better with it. If you measure it carefully on digital kitchen scales you can ensure you really only use a little and know how many calories are in it.
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Maple Grove Farms. They're awesome.

Sugar Free - http://www.maplegrove.com/content_products_sub.asp?s=3

Fat Free - http://www.maplegrove.com/content_products_sub.asp?s=4

My favs are fat free Caesar, fat free or sugar free Raspberry Vinaigrette, and fat free Lime Basil.
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    I have found a zero tasteing one that was good and when they lower the fat other things are added. I found Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings are good and are creamy with 35 to 45 calories 1.5 to 3 grams of fat, all natural and no preservatives. Gluten free and no added sugars or msg or artificial colors or flavors. I have tried the Zesty French the Blue Cheese and have the Classic Ranch but haveing tried it yet! Good luck on your seach!
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Light 3 cheese ranch from Kraft. It's got 1/2 the fat and calories of the regular dressings
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I love Newman's Own Light Raspberry Walnut Vinagrette. 2 Tablespoons go a long way.

I have to second this. I love light raspbetty vinagrettes. We use the walmart brand. It's wonderful.

Oh and I love love love ranch, the full fat stuff, so any low fat ranch is just gross to me!! LOL
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Make your own!

French dressing is basically a combination of oil and vinegar. Use your favourite oil - olive, walnut, hemp, whatever. For the vinegar - lemon or lime juice is nice, balsamic is a stronger flavour. Add a drizzle of honey and/ or mustard. Maybe a dash of soy sauce. Plenty of black pepper. Or add in some natural yoghurt for a creamier dressing.

I use cottage cheese or humous or salsa as alternatives to dressing.