a good low cal salad dressing?

Options

Replies

• sodaisy
    sodaisy Posts: 69
    Options
    Depends on what salad I'm having, if plain for lunch at work, just balsamic vinegar, a good quality one.

If I'm having fish (scallops, salmon, prawns etc), I like a homemade thai dressing - Chopped corriander, chopped spring onion, cruched garlic, lemon or lime zests and juice, chilli flakes, lots of apple cider vinegar, a dash of seaeme oil and some caster sugar to taste, put this in mircowave for 30 seconds, all done!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Tahini!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    2 I love:

Bolthouse farms Caesar: 45 calories/2TBSP

Aldi Zesty Fat Free Italian - 15 calories/2TBSP
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar. :-)

I love this too. Yummy!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I mix a spalsh of balsamic vinegar and lemon juice into a couple tbsp of non-fat greek yogurt. It's not zero cal but its low, and it's simple and tasty and creamy.
  • eesuperstar
    eesuperstar Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey, its a little off topic but is helpful for salads.
    I use these plastic salad containers made by Glad which comes with a snap in container for 1.5 oz of dressing.
    http://www.glad.com/products/food-storage/containers/glad-to-go-lunch/

I tend to overpour dressing thus destroying my calorie intake and this is perfect. 1.5oz doesn't look like much but if you shake the crap out of the salad after you toss it in then it works great.

btw, I like vinegarette... I go for the thinner dressing so that its easier for it to coat the entire salad thus using less. :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I am all about sacrafice but seriously! Counting my calories, I head to the grocery store for a low calorie salad dressing. How low can you go? Well, as it turns out, you can go all the way down to zero. So I buy my zero calorie dressing and head home. Verdict: YUCK! It tastes like dirt smells.

So everyone, what are your favs when it comes to dressing?

Personal preference is to make my own dressings and use olive oil for the fat component. Fresh zest of lemon or lime, fresh basil, thyme and oregano, sea salt, champagne vinegar or red wine vinegar, and a scant tsp of grainy mustard to help emulsify everything together. Excellent for salads and marinade for chicken, pork or turkey! Salmon is excellent with this too especially for the crispy skin!
  • jwaldrop13
    Options
    I love Newman's Own Lite Low Fat Sesame Ginger Dressing & Kraft's Fat Free Catalina!
  • sarajaxon
    sarajaxon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am sooooooo psyched you guys! I love love love your ideas! Now maybe I can enjoy my salads again without the guilt! I will report back on some of my favs after trying some out!

As far as the homemade dressings go, I wonder, do they keep? Do you make a fresh batch for each salad, or each week? And do you recommend a certain container? I have to admit, for as much as I love food, I know NOTHING about food preparation or preservation. Preservation! Who am I kidding?? Food does not have time to spoil when I'm around!!!!!

Thanks again! Keep 'em coming!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Olive oil + 1 tsp green pesto + 1 tsp lemon juice= Awesome sauce
  • toadfan1
    toadfan1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Like some of the others, I just make my own at home. I do a 'single serving' for each salad that I make - and it's super easy. I use 1 tsp olive oil, a little squeeze of mustard (I prefer a sharp mustard), some good basalmic vinegar (just slightly sweet), a pinch of salt and a couple grinds of pepper. Whisk together and voila! It's delicious...
  • Alishamarie48879
    Alishamarie48879 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am in love with Girard's light caesar dressing. Delish.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I am a HUGE fan of the new yogurt dressings...the ranch one honestly tastes like the "real" version...and only has 45 cals per serving....
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I make my own a lot of the time, and make it fresh for each salad. Usually just balsamic vinegar, olive oil and spices and herbs, but sometimes I make it a bit caesar-y and throw in a egg yolk and hit it with the hand blender.

Ditto the suggestion to toss all your lettuce and greens in just a bit of dressing to thoroughly coat it without using much dressing.
  • Bighiker2
    Bighiker2 Posts: 100
    Options
    Wish Bone Fat Free Italian Dressing. 15 calories per 2 tablespoons.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Honey Mustard from Bolthouse is my absolute favorite, but all their flavors are pretty tasty.

YES! This!! ^^^^^
    Holy hells, I just tried this for the first time yesterday & was so moved by it I actually posted on my wall this morning about how delicious it is. And I'm normally very skeeved by yogurt.
    Totally delicious. And I have a friend who tried the salsa ranch flavor and said that was really good too.
    NOM...totally want salad now.
  • eileen7316
    eileen7316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE fan of the new yogurt dressings...the ranch one honestly tastes like the "real" version...and only has 45 cals per serving....

I second, third, and fourth this ^

They are my favorites, along with two others: Ken's Vidalia Onion (60 cal. for 2 T), and Virginia Brand Honey French Royale (60 cal. for 2 T).

Finally, I can have low calorie salad dressing that I actually LIKE!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Kraft - Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing - 30 cal / TBS. I use 1.5 normally. If you can handle the 'calorie wise' version it's lower too.

I'm going to try the Bolthouse ones next shopping trip :)
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I started using the "Free" versions of Kraft anything dressings, they are around 45 cals and taste great.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Wishbone Salad Spritzers Balsamic Breeze (I like that it's in a spray bottle--I get better dispersion) for most salads. And Bolthouse Yogurt Blue Cheese when I need something creamy (or as a veggie dip).