Protein Suggestions

Options
My protein intake has been fairly low lately and my trainer has suggested protein drinks or adding whey protein to different things. I rather not drink my calories so I'm looking for some more food options to add to my diet. Right now my big sources of protein are: chicken, lean turkey, salmon, quiona, and some diary. (Yogurt is not an option b/c it makes me gag.)

Replies

• bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Other than tuna, you covered the more common ones. I suggest considering the protein shakes your trainer suggested. It isn't something you need to have every meal. Get a good vanilla protein powder and blend it with 1 cup skim milk and a cup of frozen fruit (I recommend blueberries, strawberries, or red raspberries). Simple and delicious.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    what kind of protein power is considered "good"? This is strange territory for me.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I like body fortress, but everyone will have a different opinion on what taste good to them. I think if you up the quantity of lean meat your eating than you should be able to hit your protein goals. I do love my protein smoothies though :)
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I like protein smoothies as well - I use whey protein with frozen fruit (mango and pineapple is nice, or berries with a little crystal light to get more flavor). I will sometimes add coconut water.

I also stir whey protein into steel cut oats sometimes, although the flavor isn't that great. I usually need some nuts and a wee bit of maple syrup to make it palatable.

Mostly, I just try to be creative with chicken and disguise it as much as possible so I don't feel like I'm eating it all the time.

Edit to add: I have some soy protein powder at home and it is nasty. I recommend sticking with whey protein powder if you decide to go that route.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    drinking your calories in the way of a protein shake is NOT like drinking calories as in a slurpee. Protein shakes are a great addition to your day. I have them for breakfast quite often. It's a meal, not a drink. I like to add beans and canned pumpkin into mine, sometimes spinach too.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Is the chocolate protein powder any good? Does it taste anything like chocolate milk if mixed into milk? I may be able to handle that.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I use optimum nutrition's double rich chocolate whey protein powder. I just put a scoop in a cup of milk, shake it up and it's basically chocolate milk except with lots of protein. I love it.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs or greek yogurt. I actually really like my protein shake. It lasts me all morning.

1 scoop chocolate (Body Fortress brand)
    1 cup 2% milk
    1 cup cold black coffee (hot works too but waters it down)
    Splash SF caramel syrup
    ice

Tastes like a light mocha or chocolate milk. 266 calories and lasts til lunch time ;)
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    Parmesan cheese has a whopping 35.8 grams of protein per 100 grams of cheese. Soybeans have 64 grams of protein per cup. Lean meat and lean cuts of meat are an obvious and tasty choice. The leaner the better.

Milk has good protein. You can eat nuts and peanut butter. There are also protein supplements and protein shakes. Eggs are a good source of protein and don't forget beans too.

Found on the Internet
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sashimi!!!!
  • corriewarren
    Options
    eggs and cheese
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    My protein intake has been fairly low lately and my trainer has suggested protein drinks or adding whey protein to different things. I rather not drink my calories so I'm looking for some more food options to add to my diet. Right now my big sources of protein are: chicken, lean turkey, salmon, quiona, and some diary. (Yogurt is not an option b/c it makes me gag.)

WHERE'S THE BEEF?

Throw an occasional T-Bone in there, dude.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I do alot of eggs for protein and cottage cheese also. I drink a shake as a snack too by EAS. Its carb controlled and high protein.
  • dreamcatcher168
    Options
    Egg, nuts( don't eat too many), tofu,veggie burgers, lentils, beans(kidney/lima beans),soy(too much soy can be bad, so watch out),almond milk (this has an acquired taste; be warned!),protein bars, chocolate milk, peanut butter, spinach, broccoli, brown rice,..hmm that's all that I can come up with off the top of my head. I'm struggling with this a bit too since I'm a vegetarian. If you come across anything amazing let me know!! : )
  • flslp87
    flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I use Fortress Protein powder (140 cal/scoop - 26g of protein I think) They have vanilla, chocolate and strawberry.

I make a smoothie that is amazing and very filling. You can make a bit of it and use it for a snack or have it for a meal...

1 cup crushed ice
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup frozen vanilla yogurt (I use blue bunny nonfat yogurt - 90 cal/half cup) - tastes like ice cream
    1 scoop protein powder (vanilla or strawberry)
    1 cup cut fresh strawberries (you can also add a banana and decrease the strawberries)

blend - it makes a creamy drink that is very good...

I also eat Kraft sandwich cheese that is 2%
    sargento cheese stix (light)

Nuts - almonds, pistachios (I also will add pecan bits or walnut bits to my oatmeal or on my vans waffles)

peanut butter...

also if you like beef then you can buy very lean ground beef, like 93/7, and make a good burger or taco salad

also lean steak is not as high in calorie as you may think...
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Check the lanÉls abd shop around! I've found some (the ones that tend to be aimed towards women in my opinion) have an unreasonable amount of sugar and carbs. That's my indication of whether or not it's a "good" powder!
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Egg whites. All. The. Time. Very satisfying for my hunger too.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I add unflavored protein powder to my soups or in cereal....so I'm technically eating it still.

Edamame, greek yogurt, and quinoa are a few good sources of protein.
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You can order samples from this company of trutein or wheyology. I am trying a few flavors. Cinnabun is very tasty. I also like chocolate strawberry blended with frozen strawberries. For me, a good post workout drink and fairly refreshing.

http://truscience.com/samples