Protein Suggestions

Options
2»

Replies

• Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have had an herbalife vanilla protein drink that was quite tasty! When I mixed it with skim milk, it gives me even more protein. But like you, I so much prefer to eat my food, not drink it. I like tuna, and tilapia and other fish, and scallops and shrimp and eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt. And I definitely enjoy a good steak now and then!
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why I've been neglecting beef. Probably bc it tends to be more expensive.
  • boltsfan704
    Options
    Ahi Tuna and Turkey Jerky
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    check out my diary and you can see where I get most of my protein sources

fish
    egg white
    chicken
    dairy (milk, cheese, greek yogurt)
    edamame
  • Jamesecj
    Jamesecj Posts: 20
    Options
    I like Advocare's protein. They are very tasty and easy on the tummy! Some of the other brands used to make me feel bloated and give me a tummy ache but so far this has been good.

Do you like other seafood (shrimp, crab, lobster, tilapia, catfish). I use a lot of fish/seafood because it's low cal and a great source of protein.
  • SlimsLiftingMoreThanLipstick
    Options
    I eat a lot of lean meat and also eggs. I do have an occasional smoothie I just mix a small amount of almond milk, Vanilla whey protein powder, and frozen fruit. I have also found if you mix 1 egg and a scoop of protein powder you can put it on a griddle and eat it like a pancake. You can also use the same mixture to coat whole grain or low calorie wheat bread and make a french toast. If I am noticing I've not hit my protein mark in a few days I will also add half a scoop to my coffee or tea. I allow myself 1 coffee or 1 tea per day.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Get some sort of cold filtered and cold processed whey protein isolate. I really like Intek Nutrition or Nutracore nutrition's proteins. The way to tell if they are truly cold filtered and cold processed is by the way the describe it. The ingredient should be listed first and should say something along the lines of: undenatured cross flow micro filtered whey protein isolate. Or hydrolyzed whey protein isolate.
  • SgtMindy
    SgtMindy Posts: 53
    Options
    What about tofu, edamame (soy beans), beans, rice and lentils? Lentils are yummy!!!! I like adding some jalapeno to mine for a little kick!
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yes, consider the protein shakes. My trainer has always recommended them. I go in spurts, but when I add one, it really helps up the protein. The higher protein will help the muscles recover from exercise which will overall make you look and feel better. The calories from a protein shake will not bust a day.

I mix my protein shakes with about 4 oz of skim milk and 4 oz of water. Part skim milk b/c milk with them tastes better than water, but using half water reduces calories. I use Gold standard. I think their chocolate flavors are good.. they have a few types of chocolate.

One thing to watch for in protein shakes is the fat calories. Compare a fews brands, you will see some have higher fat than others. For those trying to loose weight choose the mixes with lower fat calories. I have found Gold Standard and Matrix so far with lower fat calories.

I have even used some of the protein powder and mixed in with my yogurt to add more protein. You mentioned no yogurt, but you can put it other items too. I know someone mentioned no flavor powder. It could be mixed in, sprinkled on, many items you already eat!

Good Luck!
  • mlkiel
    mlkiel Posts: 91
    Options
    Eggs are another source. I was getting tired of hardboiled eggs at work, I found online how to cook an egg in the microwave (you can google it), so this was a good thing. Quick and easy to make at work.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I know you can google "good sources of protein" but i wanted personal opinions and what is working for people. I've added many new things to my grocery list to add to my diet. I think I was just in a food rut.

I may add protein shakes in the future especially if I'm still finding it tough to eat enough protein.