Obesity is caused by too much sugar not ingesting fat!

Options
I'm going to make my attempt at explaining how sugar/carbohydrates are used by our bodies. Let go to the regulation of sugar in our bodies. The pancreas produces insulin in cells called Islets of Langerhans. When these cells don't secrete any insulin the that is what is called Type 1 Diabetes or Juvenille Diabetes. When some insulin is produced but not enough to keep up with the body's demands it is Type 2 Diabetes.

Our bodies need our diet to be 60% carbohydrate, which when carbohydrates break down to their very basic component it becomes sugar. Sugar needs to get into our cells to give us energy. In order for sugar to get into our cells from the extracellular fluid in our bodies we need insulin to carry it across the cell membrane. When sugar can't get into the cell, it accumulates in the extra cellular fluid and that is a measure of what a blood-glucose test shows. The norm is 70-110 in a nondiabetic person. In the hospital I don't begin giving insulin to my patients until 150. When there is too much sugar in the extracellular fluid that means there isn't enough in the cells and people begin experiencing fatigue and can go in a coma. More insulin is given to accomodate and help the sugar get into the cells. If not enough carbohydrate is consumed it can lead to low sugar in the extracellular fluid(hypoglycemia), so there's not enough to put in the cells for energy. We've all felt our sugar low because we we get shakey. For diabetics, they are given sugar, or if they go comatose I use IV push dextrose, and they wake up within 15 seconds. For the rest of us ingesting a simple carb is enough to bounce it up within 15 minutes.

When it comes to exercising our first 30 seconds of energy comes from ATP and phosphocreatine stored in the muscle. If you have ever heard of anyone who takes creatine it works by giving people longer bursts of energy in this initial stage and they build muscle faster. However, creatine has not been approved as a safe product to use. Only glucose can be used to produce ATP. The 2nd stage lasts 30 seconds to 3 minutes inwhich glucose is burned. In the final stage glucose and fat are burned. You must workout cardiovascularly for 20 minutes before you begin burning your fat stores. That's why it is advised for people with diabetes to exercise 30-60 minutes 3-4 times a week to promote carbohydrate metabolism and insulin sensitivity. People with diabetes who exercise keep a tighter grip on the glucose in the extracellular fluid. Sometimes they don't need to take insulin anymore. On the flip side, because it's a endocrine/metabolic disorder if not enough glucose isn't in the extracellular fluid before exercising and insulin has been taken it can lead to hypoglycemia, so it's important to have a fast acting carbohydrate nearby.

Fats are made up of 3 glucose molecules(triglycerides). When the body can't readily use it then it stores it as fat. If you consume lots of sugar, overtime the body learns to react faster and automatically store it as fat. Obesity is generally not caused by ingesting fat, but by consuming too much sugar. American College of Sports Medicine recommends 6-10g/kg of carbohydrate should be ingested every day. My Fitness Pal has mine calculated at 4.5 g/kg. Simple carbs are high in sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and usually lack nutrients but are quick sugar hikers. Complex carbs like fruits, veggies, and wheat products(if you aren't eating gluten free) help to regulate the sugar, keeping it at a even level in our bloodstream, and tighter control of our blood sugar. These are important to have, and not to avoid, but to eat in moderation. There is this huge emphasis from people about not eating carbs or low carb diet. It's very important to get these complex carbs, because if you don't have enough glucose in your system, then you won't have energy to burn fat. I myself avoid heavy carbs, such as wheat products. They are higher in sugar levels, which tends to spike my sugar, then when it drops I feel miserably exhausted. I try to keep foods that are medium on the glycemic index.

As always I can never have too many MFP friends. Lets be friends. Add me!!!!

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!! It will help me lose 15 pounds!!
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    TBH I didn't read through this because I know it all (though I'd like the citation for needing 60% carbs?).

Bumping for knowledge though, too many people underestimate how bad excess sugar is for you.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    "If not enough carbohydrate is consumed it can lead to low sugar in the extracellular fluid(hypoglycemia), so there's not enough to put in the cells for energy."

Well, the liver can make glucose - - - it's called gluconeogenesis and it's the body's protection against hypoglycemia. Unless someone is on medication to lower the blood sugar, true hypoglycemia is rare.
  • AimeeZingLife
    AimeeZingLife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    "If not enough carbohydrate is consumed it can lead to low sugar in the extracellular fluid(hypoglycemia), so there's not enough to put in the cells for energy."

Well, the liver can make glucose - - - it's called gluconeogenesis and it's the body's protection against hypoglycemia. Unless someone is on medication to lower the blood sugar, true hypoglycemia is rare.

I had a boyfriend once who didn't have diabetes, and everytime he'd go to the doctors office his glucose would be in the 60s. It was because he was trying to lose weight and not consuming enough calories.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    fat is not made of 3 glucose molecules... and I'm a chemistry major taking Biochem II currently, we just did fat metabolism. Where did you get your info from?
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    <snip> Our bodies need our diet to be 60% carbohydrate<snip>

No.

Aside from the fact that you are implying that we all have the same dietary requirements (untrue) ... We can run perfectly well on fatty acids (i.e. a breakdown of our fat stores), ketones and whatever glucose the brain needs (and it does need some) will be generated by the liver.
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    To say you NEED 60% carbs is CRAZY!! If you are already overweight this is WAY too high. As a matter of fact, you should probably cut carbs all the way out and use your proteins and natural sugars and fats as your source of energy (this diet from my doc and has worked for me) but to tell someone who is obese to up their carbs to 60% of their diet is OUT OF CONTROL! Please clarify this for people that are going to read into this more than they should!
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options

No.

Aside from the fact that you are implying that we all have the same dietary requirements (untrue) ... We can run perfectly well on fatty acids (i.e. a breakdown of our fat stores), ketones and whatever glucose the brain needs (and it does need some) will be generated by the liver.

You are totally right, this is exactly what Im doing and its totally healthy and totally working!!! I LOVE THE FEELING!!
  • TheVimFuego
    Options

No.

You are totally right, this is exactly what Im doing and its totally healthy and totally working!!! I LOVE THE FEELING!!

Indeed so ... no cravings, no blood sugar rollercoaster, great energy and we can eat whole, natural, filling foods AND lose fat.

But apparently ketones are toxic (hahahaha ....) and we can't survive unless we keep ourselves topped up with carbohydrate and most of that carbohydrate is of a kind which we, as a species, have not eated for the vast majority of our existance.

It's mental but the momentum is shifting away from the Food Pyramid, thanks mostly to word of mouth, the internet and people who lead by example, forget Conventional Wisdom and get results.

Oh, and dietary fat will neither kill us not make us fat in the absence of excessive carbohydrate ... thought I'd throw that out there :)
  • amcharanek
    Options
    Didn't bother reading.. IIFYM.. /thread
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Obesity is cause by insulin.

Any way you look at it if you overeat on calories, any macronutrient fat/carbs/protein rolls over into storage via insulin.
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options

No.

Indeed so ... no cravings, no blood sugar rollercoaster, great energy and we can eat whole, natural, filling foods AND lose fat.

But apparently ketones are toxic (hahahaha ....) and we can't survive unless we keep ourselves topped up with carbohydrate and most of that carbohydrate is of a kind which we, as a species, have not eated for the vast majority of our existance.

It's mental but the momentum is shifting away from the Food Pyramid, thanks mostly to word of mouth, the internet and people who lead by example, forget Conventional Wisdom and get results.

Oh, and dietary fat will neither kill us not make us fat in the absence of excessive carbohydrate ... thought I'd throw that out there :)

I think my diary is open. I only eat lean meats, veggies and fruits(only fruits in the mornings) and do cardio work outs in the evening ranging from 20-60 minutes depending on the intensity of my work out. I have lost a total of about 13 pounds but 10 pounds in about 4 weeks (really less than that, its been two weeks that this healthy eating has been in place and thats when a majority of my weight loss has been taken place) the first couple of days were tough because I was truly tired but all in all I feel great and while I might thing "hey a piece of cake would be nice" I dont eat it because its a very temporary craving as to where before I was having strong cravings. Any other plan I have been on hasnt felt right. I dont eat dairy, carbs or un-natural sugars but I feel great and truthfully Im looking better and better! Its not unhealthy at all!
  • constantchaos05
    constantchaos05 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I Suffer from PCOS, and been told carbs are not good for because of it, what have you heard regarding woman struggling to lose weight with PCOS?
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

No.

^^^ this person is a genius
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    I think my diary is open. I only eat lean meats, veggies and fruits(only fruits in the mornings) and do cardio work outs in the evening ranging from 20-60 minutes depending on the intensity of my work out. I have lost a total of about 13 pounds but 10 pounds in about 4 weeks (really less than that, its been two weeks that this healthy eating has been in place and thats when a majority of my weight loss has been taken place) the first couple of days were tough because I was truly tired but all in all I feel great and while I might thing "hey a piece of cake would be nice" I dont eat it because its a very temporary craving as to where before I was having strong cravings. Any other plan I have been on hasnt felt right. I dont eat dairy, carbs or un-natural sugars but I feel great and truthfully Im looking better and better! Its not unhealthy at all!

Eat less rubbish, crave less rubbish ... it's great :)
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    I Suffer from PCOS, and been told carbs are not good for because of it, what have you heard regarding woman struggling to lose weight with PCOS?

I've heard carb restriction works well but I'd read something like "The Obesity Epidemic" first to get some info. :)
  • TheVimFuego
    Options

I wouldn't go that far, I'm just distilling the information and pointing people to the science. :)

Even Hitler thinks a calorie is a calorie ... http://meemsy.com/v/2661 (worth a look ;))

Hey, here is another thing ... Dietary cholesterol will not raise blood cholesterol and 'high' cholesterol isn't a marker for heart problems either.

Aaaaaand ... the whole 3500 calorie deficit thing is bunkum based on NO solid science.

Whodathunkit?

And with that I have invoked Godwin's Law and mentioned Hitler, someone close the thread please :)
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    haha. thats also very interesting about the whole 3500 calories being a lb of fat.
    and is it possible to close a thread lol?
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options

No.

Im living this type of eating and LOVE IT!