Replies

• d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Oh, another two favorite books: Rage and The Long Walk
  • jonbobfrog
    jonbobfrog Posts: 294
    Options
    I like a lot of his books (Misery, The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, 11/22/63, Thinner, The Long Walk, etc ...) but my all time favorite is ... by far ... The Eyes of the Dragon.

how did I forget The Eyes of the Dragon! that was a great one!

Yayyy!! I rarely find other people who've read The Eyes of the Dragon! :drinker:
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Stephen King my favorite author

Pet Cemetary
    The Stand

and of my most favorite the book he wrote under the name Richard Bachman which was released in 1979 and then re-released in the Bachman books in like 1985

The Long Walk

When I read Hunger Games I was like - wow it's like the Long Walk- but Hunger games morphs in another direction with stylists and all.
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Books-Bag of Bones, Needful Things and Dark Tower series
    Movies-Classic Jack Nicholson's The Shining
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Not really a fan of his movies...fave books Needful Things and The STand.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I just finished 11/22/63- I just loved this book so much. I'm rereading the Stand right now. Probably those two are my favorites.

As for movies, my favorites are Stand by Me and The Green Mile.

Not a book but I have to mention that I really loved the column in Entertainment Weekly that he used to do.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    THE STAND :heart:
  • fatslaphead
    Options
    The Stand or Thinner... as with most King, (except Shawshank and Green Mile), getting either of them properly translated to TV/Film failed when they could have been as good as the books
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    I loved The Stand (book version), but the movie adaptation was just ok. Favorite movie based on his stories wasn't actually a horror one at all - "Stand By Me". Although The Shining is way up there, with some awesome cinematography, acting and soundtrack (just the first few notes of the opening song had my hair on edge the first time I watched that).

I've both read and seen "It", and while both were well done, I can't call them my "favorites", because I'm pretty sure my current abject fear of circus clowns had something to do with those.
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Book: The Stand

Movie wise...is it just me or does it seems his movies don't come across well? I had high hopes for "The Mist" but it was horrible IMO. I know they are making "Cell" which I really loved reading but fear it will suck.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Favorite movie based on his stories wasn't actually a horror one at all - "Stand By Me".

Oh, I totally forgot about that one. That was a good one.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    :heart: Rose Madder:heart:

I loved this book! Has it been made into a movie? I'll have to google that.
    Other favorites:
    Tommyknockers (but the ending stunk)
    Needful Things (but the ending stunk)
    Thinner
    Dolan's Cadillac
    The Stand
    Stand By Me
  • FlyByJuly
    Options
    Book: The Stand

Movie wise...is it just me or does it seems his movies don't come across well? I had high hopes for "The Mist" but it was horrible IMO. I know they are making "Cell" which I really loved reading but fear it will suck.

Ooooohhhhh...I didn't know "Cell" is being made into a movie. I'd forgotten about that one! It was a good read.
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I read one his new ones back in April that was really good. 11/22/63, it is about time travel and trying to stop the JFK assassination.
  • FlyByJuly
    Options
    A few more of my favorites:
    Misery
    Dolores Claiborne
    Gerald's Game
  • Tmarinari
    Options
    Book Desperation was a good movie also
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Pet cemetary still scares me every time!!!! I hate it though haha.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    What's your favorite Stephen King book or movie? Is there any Stephen King story that you enjoyed more as a movie than as a book or vice versa?

The Stand and Dark Tower series, by far.

And, "Shawshank Redemption" clearly stands out as the best King film adaptation. I think the film version is far more moving than the original novella.
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    and carrie. I loveee carrie.
  • bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I think almost all of the visualized versions of his books are pretty crappy, save a very select few.

As for books, they're hit-or-miss in my opinion. I prefer the ones that are more realistic than science fiction-y, though I do like The Eyes of the Dragon. My favs would probably be Dolores Claiborne (sp?!), Misery, Thinner, Gerald's Game, and Needful Things.