Pasta...it makes me mad!!

Options
124»

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Go heavier on the protein and veggies. Learn to rely on these to fill you up. Pasta isn't filling, so what's the point of eating a ton of it? Have a little for tastifying and let the meats and veg do heavy work of filling your belly. You'll get used to the portion size.
  • determined_01
    Options
    well I really appreciate all of your responses and suggestions! I have learned that I need to weigh my pasta dry instead of cooked and I am all over the spaghetti squash and miracle noodles! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! :happy:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    While we are talking about pasta....weigh it before cooking or after???? I have always wondered .....
    I have always weighed it after cooking...

You're doing it wrong. No wonder your serving is so small -- and you're eating far fewer calories than you think. You weigh BEFORE cooking.

^^ this
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    do what the "Hungry Girl" does ...... have your serving of pasta, but bulk it up with all kinds of veggies :drinker:
    This!
  • determined_01
    Options
    Before I started MFP I was never really a huge pasta eater to begin with. I like to have it as a meal every now and again but prior to logging never paid a bit of attention to what I was consuming. Now since joining every time I log it in I seriously want to throw the computer...3.5 oz at 380 calories....really? That is a portion (a double portion I might add) the size of my fist while my husband eats a dinner plate full and I sit and cry inside because I dont even remember consuming my meal because it was so damn small. Does anyone know of any brands or alternatives to pasta that are a little more forgiving in the calorie department?

well I really appreciate all of your responses and suggestions! I have learned that I need to weigh my pasta dry instead of cooked and I am all over the spaghetti squash and miracle noodles! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! :happy:
  • TanzaMarie
    TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta about once a week or so. I usually plan for it (and the bread that obviously goes with it), but I also put it on a smaller plate - like a dessert or salad plate. Having that plate look full, especially when I add the veggies and whatever else really helps me. For me, it's a mental thing.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, when I log my spaghetti, one cup of noodles comes in at 220 calories. I guess you are including meat with that?
    my spaghetti is 50g per serving which is 1.7 oz at 190 cal. i measure by oz not cups i find it to be a little more accurate. But if you dont have a digital scale it can be difficult.

So the sauce and meat brings it to 380? That's a pretty good deal. My spaghetti dinners are running me around 500 calories total. But I try to net 1750, so a 500 calorie meal is perfect for me.

Yeah, I'm not trying to run out and buy a food scale right now. I have been using measuring cups for everything. So far so good, 27 pounds gone in 27 days.
  • mommytobrayden
    mommytobrayden Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with you about being angry at how calorie dense pasta is. Before I measured my food I must have eaten hundreds of calories worth of pasta. Now, I limit myself to one or two servings (depending on how many calories I have left for the day).

To help get full, I add a salad to whatever pasta dish I am making.

It really is reprograming our minds to what a serving is. I haven't read through the threads yet, but I hope someone can offer some lower calorie pasta options! :))
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I love Pasta! As many has recommmended, it helps to make a salad or tons of your favorite veggies to help fill you up. I personally find having my tons of broccoli and carrots and eating the meal slower helps me enjoy it and not feel left out or hungry.
  • barillaelyse
    Options
    If you love pasta, but are looking for a healthier option that tastes just as great as traditional pasta you should be sure to check out Barilla PLUS. Barilla PLUS can be used in any of your favorite recipes as a substitute for traditional pasta. In fact, we recommend doing so – PLUS is a good source of protein, ALA omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber. :smile:

To receive recipes and other fun treats, be sure to sign up for our online newsletter: http://www.barillaus.com/plus.

What's for dinner tonight?

–Elyse from the Barilla PLUS team
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If you love pasta, but are looking for a healthier option that tastes just as great as traditional pasta you should be sure to check out Barilla PLUS. Barilla PLUS can be used in any of your favorite recipes as a substitute for traditional pasta. In fact, we recommend doing so – PLUS is a good source of protein, ALA omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber. :smile:

To receive recipes and other fun treats, be sure to sign up for our online newsletter: http://www.barillaus.com/plus.

What's for dinner tonight?

–Elyse from the Barilla PLUS team

Question, How efficient are humans at converting ALA to EPA and DHA?
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Either start looking at pasta as a side dish, or eat on days that you have a lot of exercise calories.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    I eat whole grain pasta, weighed out on my kitchen scale. 2oz. is a LOT of pasta. I had pasta, sauce, ground pork and shredded cheese on top the other night. It was incredibly filling. There was a good balance of carbs/starch, protein and fat.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm not seeing how the physical size of your meal should matter? If you were eating something satisfying then who cares what size it is. It seems like the issue is more than you aren't eating foods that make you full.

Also, as another commenter noted - based on your diary you don't appear to be eating *enough* calories.

To the person asking about quinoa "pasta" - quinoa isn't pasta, it's a grain. :)
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Before I started MFP I was never really a huge pasta eater to begin with. I like to have it as a meal every now and again but prior to logging never paid a bit of attention to what I was consuming. Now since joining every time I log it in I seriously want to throw the computer...3.5 oz at 380 calories....really? That is a portion (a double portion I might add) the size of my fist while my husband eats a dinner plate full and I sit and cry inside because I dont even remember consuming my meal because it was so damn small. Does anyone know of any brands or alternatives to pasta that are a little more forgiving in the calorie department?

If it any kind of red sauce I use shredded white cabbage or zuccini steamed

& there is a low carb pasta called Dream Fields that is good too for white sauces
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is a nice alternative on occasion. I also find the gluten free corn pastas to be slightly lower in calories.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    It makes me want to throw the computer because of the pain in the butt it is to weigh a portion before you cook it (I'm not the only one eating so it makes it a chore.)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is a nice alternative on occasion. I also find the gluten free corn pastas to be slightly lower in calories.
    Spaghetti squash ROCKS and it's like 45 calories for a cup I think
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I mix blanched, julienned zucchini strings into my spaghetti noodles (about 2:1) before I add the sauce. It adds a nice crunch to the dish, bulks it up and tastes delicious! Plus, you can eat a whole plate of it, guilt-free. :)
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    a portion of pasta is 2oz dry i know because i have it everyday