People are way to easily offended because...

Options
CoderGal
CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
There's something wrong with the world today...People are way to offended

I think there are far to many people who are offended by nothing these days. I'm not talking about people who are obviously mean and rude to others. I think that's reasonable though some of it can be in humor. I'm talking about things like this:

A friend of mine was working with kids that were visiting our university and one of them was upset and crying. He's a real kid person and he stood up, stepped back from the crying kid who had his held out his hand in hug position and said it's OK and to go sit down. The kid look heart broken. So did my friend. I thought it was kind of odd and awkward of him to do that so I had to ask him why. Apparently, they're instructed to do so and cannot come in contact with any of the kids and if they do they can be sued...they are not allowed to hug them or pat their back or have any kind of physical contact except for 'high fives'. If the kid runs jumps at or goes to hug them they have to move away immediately. I'm sorry, but if you think there's something wrong with touching little kids, you're a pervert. And its reasons like this that there are so many people who are so easily offended these days...When someone does something that isn't wrong.

Also there was a law here that was trying to get passed for clothes lines to be banned, they've been here forever but suddenly it's like there was something wrong with letting people see laundry. I'm sorry, but if you're offended by laundry, you're a pervert. Also, who cares about the environment? It's definitely more important for us not to see anything...

Ever year we're trying to come up with some offensive word for things. Don't call them a garbage man, call them janitor, don't call them a janitor call them a sanitation engineer...Don't call them retarded call them special needs...don't call them special needs call them intellectually disabled...Don't call Don't call them obese call them this, don't call them over weight call them large, don't call them large call them heavy, don't call them that!...every year we have to come up with a word to fool confuse ourselves by because we're easily offended. Yes, there's some things that make sense, like people are not 'fat' they do not morph into a substance only when they gain weight. There's other things that are ridiculous though.

This week I've seen posts that involved:
being offended because people wear lulu lemon/spandex in public when not exercising - You try losing a bunch of weight and suddenly owning a wardrobe that isn't spandex, or having big hips etc. Some people like to be comfortable
being offended because people post pics of their rack - Why are you so concerned with this womens rack?
being offended because people post pics of their stomach - What gives you to judge what's ok and what's not ok? I'd much rather show my stomach then my face, it looks much nicer lol
bineg ofefnded baceuse poeple psot thnigs taht arent spealed cerroctly - Really, you can still communicate
being offended because people post pics with little clothes - perve
being offended because people are smaller then them - no, you don't lose self worth as your self gets smaller
being offended because people eat more then them - no it doesn't mean that they're weaker or lying or not losing weight because they eat more????!?!!?!

I just changed my picture to something that someone finds offensive because I don't think it is or should be. I think you should do the same.

I think it's about time we all stopped growing up and started acting sensible like little kids.

Replies

• _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Because mommy and daddy didn't love them enough as a child.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I promise to not be offended by anything you say......or wear........or don't wear lol
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I'm working at a kids camp right now and there's pretty strict rules about physical contact like you said. Kids can't sit on their leaders laps. It's hard when these kids practically crawl on your lap as soon as you sit down, and you have to be like "no, sit next to me." And we always have to have groups of 3 go to the bathroom, so even if only one kid needs to go and the leader isn't actually going in the bathroom but waiting outside, we have to make another kid come along. A little extreme, but it not only protects the children, it protects the leaders as well from false accusation.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    But it's so entertaining when everyone gets riled up!!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm working at a kids camp right now and there's pretty strict rules about physical contact like you said. Kids can't sit on their leaders laps. It's hard when these kids practically crawl on your lap as soon as you sit down, and you have to be like "no, sit next to me." And we always have to have groups of 3 go to the bathroom, so even if only one kid needs to go and the leader isn't actually going in the bathroom but waiting outside, we have to make another kid come along. A little extreme, but it not only protects the children, it protects the leaders as well from false accusation.

And I think that's just horrible. We're making a world a horrible place because there are perverts and rapists. I really don't think it's a good idea. Banning this stuff is not going to rid the world of weirdos, it's starting to create them. Wouldn't it be more proactive to teach the kids to tell someone when they think someone is doing something wrong?

I had an ex tell me he didn't like touching little kids because he was afraid he'd touch them wrong...It was the creepiest thing ever and he didn't mean it that way...Everyones afraid of everyone :S

And I hate that we're suddenly assuming that all our teachers are pedos. All the same though that bathroom idea sounds like a pretty good idea...But I'm one of those I like to not be afraid to do things by myself kind of person, and I found that people kind of grow up trying and learning how to be afraid. I find most of the people in college these days walk around in fear that something bad is going to happen to them if they're alone. As a girl who hang out in a bad neighbourhood who constantly walks the streets alone at night I liked what one of the girl cops said best on the news one day after a local rape....it was done by someone they knew...You can't just stop living your life because of fear. you shouldn't live in fear of strangers being weirdos, those people are going to exist wither you fear them or not.
  • MeliJean78
    MeliJean78 Posts: 249
    Options
    I am offended by the navel displayed in your ticker.

I am a recovering body-shot addict and this image has sent me straight for the bottle of tequila.

How do I lick-drink-suck without the assistance of my drunk promiscuous friends?
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    <~~~~~Yup I got un friended because of my pic I'm sorry but I'm loving my body right now I will use whichever pic I want!!Lol..
  • sunnybug90
    Options
    I have a few things I get offended by not going to lie

But I also have a very crude sense of humor. I offend a lot as well so I guess I can't say much :blushing:

I happen to love that picture :drinker:
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm offended. You know, just in general.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart:

Complete truth
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    But it's so entertaining when everyone gets riled up!!!

Yeah, like when someone talks about your hate for nachos? :happy:
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Aside from the other petty annoyances, I can safely say that the rule governing adults touching children is not due to people being offended, but by children being abused by adults. It's sad, but a few rotten apples caused the rules to be implemented.

And, ethical adults in positions of authority understand this and follow the rules.
  • ucpg
    ucpg Posts: 158
    Options
    because they care too much about what people think.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    people need to get some thicker skin.

and grow the eff up.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you got kids and with all these rape crimes now a days then people have to be vigilant about who comes in contact with their children. That has nothing to do with all the petty *kitten* that goes on in this website and all the complaints people decide to post here. Some people are just bothered by simple non-social, non-contact interactions with people. If someone looks stupid in the gym wearing freaking daisy dukes then who cares. Just let that person ridicule themselves. Move on with your life and find something better to do. This is a website for fitness, and embracing a healthy and active life. I would expect topics on this forum that are not related to fitness but at the same time they are conversations about football, basketball, olympics, children, family, video games, a bit of healthy politics but it seems like every other topic in the chit-chat, fun n games chat is related to senseless bullcrap.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Aside from the other petty annoyances, I can safely say that the rule governing adults touching children is not due to people being offended, but by children being abused by adults. It's sad, but a few rotten apples caused the rules to be implemented.

And, ethical adults in positions of authority understand this and follow the rules.

Right, the benefit is to protect the well being of the children. If anyone knows who Jerry Sandusky is then more likely you know what a monster an adult can be.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    people need to get some thicker skin.

and grow the eff up.
    QFT.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    It is true that people do get too easily offended, but it is also true that so often the same people who think this are often the first to complain when someone else says or does something they don't like. I am not trying to be personal here with anyone in particular either.

Just sometimes the flip side of the coin is just as bad. Rudeness is so very often unnecessary as is a lack of common sense.

You see someone on the street complaining that someone else cut in front of them, but that's just what it seemed they were planning to do so they are angry... It makes me wonder why they thought they had the right, when the other person didn't.... just a basic example from things I see so often.

The world is so centered on the me, me, me part of it that we haven't any idea that other people in the world have issues that just push them over sometimes.

Everyone is fighting their own war, and we really should try to be aware that things are not always as uncomplicated as they seem in other peoples' lives.

Ok... rant over... :)
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm offended by your lack of grammar...

"People are way TOO easily offended because..."

There we go. Fixed it!
  • poundsgalore
    poundsgalore Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I agree we need to stop being so sensitive and stop worrying about insulting others by not using the "politically correct term" but you are wrong about the child thing.

"And I think that's just horrible. We're making a world a horrible place because there are perverts and rapists. I really don't think it's a good idea. Banning this stuff is not going to rid the world of weirdos, it's starting to create them. Wouldn't it be more proactive to teach the kids to tell someone when they think someone is doing something wrong? "

Nice idea but it doesn't work like that. As a victim of child abuse and one who has spent a lot of time trying to figure out ways to help children avoid predators, I can personally say this does not work. You can tell your children a million times to always tell you when they are made to feel uncomfortable by someone or touched in an inappropriate manner, it does not work. Those freaks know how to manipulate children and one way is by their authority another by threats of harming their family. Children tend to keep their mouths shut when it is someone mommy and daddy told them to respect and listen to or when they think someone will get hurt or in trouble. That is why a lot of the pedophiles have jobs where they are "in charge" of children. My children are well aware of what they should tell me but that does not mean they will tell me.

I have volunteered at my kids schools and I find it so difficult when a child is upset or even one who is happy to see you runs up to hug you and you cannot reciprocate. But I would rather that be the rule if it keeps a pedophile away from a child.

I did enjoy your post though and I am not offended just have had a little experience in the matter.