People are way to easily offended because...

Replies

• IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,273 Member
    I'm offended by your lack of grammar...

"People are way TOO easily offended because..."

There we go. Fixed it!

Why don't you correct the rest?
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    I agree with you. People can be far too sensitive. You can't choose to be offended or not, but you CAN choose to walk away and let it go. I dislike when people get so uppity about things and feel the need to lecture everyone.

For example, I don't like when people use the f-word, I find it offensive. I have only chastized someone ONCE for using that word and it was because we were in a CHURCH (you think it would be common sense to not swear in a house of God). Usually, I let it roll off my back. People are adults and can make their own decisions.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member

There we go. Fixed it!

Officer Grammarticus I would like to thank you for fixing this topic.
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,273 Member

There we go. Fixed it!

Officer Grammarticus I would like to thank you for fixing this topic.

lol shm...
  • It's the tyranny of the minority. I think Tocqueville said that.

I'll add the following: Ladies, please keep posting pics of stomachs and racks!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Hmmm. Aside from the other petty annoyances, I can safely say that the rule governing adults touching children is not due to people being offended, but by children being abused by adults. It's sad, but a few rotten apples caused the rules to be implemented.

And, ethical adults in positions of authority understand this and follow the rules.

And break little kids hearts because of it. What about the kids who have no human interaction at home? It's creating emotional problems too. Are we to ignore that? kids and adults included, are we suppose to grow everyone up to not touch other people at all? As a kid who was shunned and beat up by other kids to the point of permanent physical scars I can only imagine how some kid crawling into someones lap because they like them feels as they get shunned away. I'm the least touchy person ever and I hate it when someone touches me unnecessarily, but doesn't that just make the problem worse? Do you think one of those pervy teachers or two could be a uncle and around kids in other situations. The chances of a teacher creeping a kid in the middle of class is fairly slim don't you think. What I'm talking about took place in a university lunch room surrounded by several groups of kids and adults.

That no contact thing...I just don't see it being helpful? Creeps find ways, who says they'll listen? What about a hugs but only arms or good job buddy tusseled hair jobs that last less then so many seconds haha. I just don't like the idea of pushing chidren away...The thought is even creepier that the only ones seeking out to touch the kids when they're sad is the creepers.
  • CoderGal

There we go. Fixed it!

Why don't you correct the rest?

Yeah even when I read it the first time I picked out a few and I'm the poster haha
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    The pus$ification of the world
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    People are too easily offended because they think they have a right not to be offended, when the bigger issue is WHY something is offensive. I don't think I have a right not to be offended, but I DO have the right not to be insulted, harassed, or threatened.

When someone throws around the f-word all the time, it's offensive because it is a naughty word (and our brains actually process naughty words differently). When someone throws around the n-word, it's offensive because it is a word used to denigrate and threaten people. That is a huge difference, but people seem to conflate the two.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Hmmm. Aside from the other petty annoyances, I can safely say that the rule governing adults touching children is not due to people being offended, but by children being abused by adults. It's sad, but a few rotten apples caused the rules to be implemented.

And, ethical adults in positions of authority understand this and follow the rules.
    Adults abusing children has been happening since the begging of human civilization. Why the knee jerk reaction now?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I'm not offended or anything, but "Janitor" and "Garbage Man" are two different jobs - one cleans and maintains a space while the other collects trash from the curb. You really shouldn't call a garbage man a janitor, because he/she isn't one. Janitor is not a politically correct term for Garbage Man - it's just a different thing altogether. "Sanitation Engineer" is the PC for Garbage Man, but not for Janitor. I don't even know if there is a PC term for a Janitor. But I get your point. Hope I didn't offend anyone... :wink:
  • ChangeYourPace
    ChangeYourPace Posts: 127 Member
    I chalk it up to the internet effect. Anyone can become critical of someone else and hide behind the comfort of a screen name.
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    So funny :laugh:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    *****es need to not be coddled so much as brats...or kids, if you prefer that name for them.
  • CoderGal

Adults abusing children has been happening since the begging of human civilization. Why the knee jerk reaction now?

I'm an ethical adult in positions of authority...If a crying kid came to me with their arms outstretched knowing I could break their little heart even if I hated the little bugger I'm likely to give them a hug. I was trying to study when the university lunch thing happened, I did hate that kid haha. The only thought that would stop me would be the crazy people who would sue me for it. Not because I think it's a wrong and think it's an ethical rule. I'd hug a kid if they were crying and had their arms outstretched to me even if I'm not a fan of the kid.

There's a group of unparented kids who no longer get affection now. How is that going to mess them up as an adult? Not to mention all the angry and sad kids, some who will eventually get defensive because they don't understand why nobody wants to have anything to do with them. I don't care if half the school board was abused as children. I've had my share of bad experiences...That doesn't give me or them the right to take away affection from children.

Just wait till one day someone shoots up a school because they don't understand why half of society shunned them as children lol. Maybe going a little to far here but you get the point (hopefully).
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Our society's over-hyped reaction to this type of interaction should cause any adult male to be extremely cautious around children.

This is one area that 'innocent until proven guilty' has been thrown out the window. Lives have been ruined by false assumptions and false accusations all in the name of 'if it saves just one child its worth it'. YES it is definitely worth protecting the children, but we've gone so far overboard that the slightest hint of an accusation has the villagers with torches ready to hang someone before the facts can be determined. Its a scary time to be an adult male that has any underage females in their life.

To be clear, I'm not a creep, perv, weirdo, pedophile, or anything like that. But I am observant and I learn. I've seen the stories of what happens to guys when confronted by a child-safety nazi. The type of people who are addicted to the sexual predators lists on the internet. The type who point fingers first and ask questions later. The type that live their entire lives in fear that someone is out to get them or their children. I feel so sorry for them because I know its as a result of some horrific trauma they probably suffered as a child themselves due to some perv relative. That's how terrible these crimes are, that even though the abuse may have only been once or a a few times it lasts FOREVER and affects all those around the abused person as well. I learn to avoid situations that could support any type of false claim. I refuse to babysit my grandchildren unless my wife is present. Heck, I don't even want to be alone in the same room with children for fear that someone will misinterpret something. Always best to have groups of three for protection of all parties involved, whether its a teacher, camp counselor, youth group leader or whatever.

I hate the world has become like this. I love my children and grandchildren. I hate being associated as part of a group of society that is automatically thought of by others as 'creepy old guys' simply because we committed the crimes of being male and getting older.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I've worked at camps for special needs( and yes I say that.. and get offended when someone uses the word retarded) and we were expected to bathe these campers(both male and female) if they couldn't do it themselves. So their solution was to have a giant room with a bunch of shower heads in it and thats how we did things. Out in the open so that nothing bad could happen.. even though everyone who worked at the camp, had a background check and was deemed cleared.

The other camp I worked at for special needs, did have shower curtains and valued privacy more then anything else. Plus there was always more then one person in the bathroom helping, so something would have seemed off if we were in there for more time then we should have been.

I don't think it has to do with people being easily offended but more that they have had the fear put in them due to all the news stories of rape, molestation, kidnapping, etc. People are down right terrified now to go out of their houses for fear that something will happen.. and it's kind of silly if you ask me, but to each their own.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    [/quote]

I'm an ethical adult in positions of authority...If a crying kid came to me with their arms outstretched knowing I could break their little heart even if I hated the little bugger I'm likely to give them a hug. I was trying to study when the university lunch thing happened, I did hate that kid haha. The only thought that would stop me would be the crazy people who would sue me for it. Not because I think it's a wrong and think it's an ethical rule. I'd hug a kid if they were crying and had their arms outstretched to me even if I'm not a fan of the kid.

There's a group of unparented kids who no longer get affection now. How is that going to mess them up as an adult? Not to mention all the angry and sad kids, some who will eventually get defensive because they don't understand why nobody wants to have anything to do with them. I don't care if half the school board was abused as children. I've had my share of bad experiences...That doesn't give me or them the right to take away affection from children.

Just wait till one day someone shoots up a school because they don't understand why half of society shunned them as children lol. Maybe going a little to far here but you get the point (hopefully).
    [/quote]

^^ Yes this!!

I worked at a low low low income Title I school this past year. Some of these kids only get negative attention from their parents (or alot of times caregiver or foster parent). They need to understand that we are there, we love them no matter what, and I tell ya, most of all, some of them just need a hug every day.

I can't tell you how many times I would be standing in the hallway doing morning duty and would get dozens of child initiated hugs as they headed to breakfast.

The things I have see would break you heart. But it's priceless to see them come in all sad, see you waiting, smile and run and give you a hug. It's a bright spot in their day.

I was the Perm Sub for the building so I got to know pretty much every single class. So, no matter where I was in the buidling, I was being watched by children who needed a positive role model who they could talk to and trust. (it's a primary school).

It's just very unfortunate that we live in a society where these things have happened to children to cause such rules to be in effect.

FWIW in the city's orientation, they do a big thing on the "no touching" rule.

But, at the school where I was, they Principal and A.P. would also hug the kids.

They just need it, noone else loves them, they need to be shown it at least the 5 days a week while in our care.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    While I agree to a certain extent, I do still think that people are WAY too rude, and that the blame is often shifted onto the victim for being upset and/or offended.

I don't believe in being PC, but I believe in being polite. We need a healthy balance, I believe.

As for teachers not being able to hug kids, well, I believe that is plain sad. It feels like kids these days can't do anything. Especially with all of these 'elf and safety rules. I do, however, understand why these rules have been implemented, but on the flipside, I do think that the rejection can be painful. I was bullied really badly in all but one of the four primary schools I went to, and teachers felt like my only security. If one of them ever refused me a hug, it would have broken my heart. *shrug* I'm a sensitive person.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member

This. My love, this.