Dear Mr. Arrogant Construction Worker,

Options
13»

Replies

• KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Way to take the upper hand and go higher up the chain. People suck sometimes!
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I get attitudes from construction workers all the time. Sometimes when I go to the field to do punch lists, contractors look at me and have this "wtf? Did you get lost" look and when I introduce myself as the Architect for the job, they immediately change their face!

Fun times!
    I'm an engineer. I have the same problem!!!
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't this have been better suited as a Facebook post than an MFP forum discussion? Your friends know you better than MFP forum strangers.

There is one on Facebook now starting "Dear Mr Short MFP Poster who thinks they are funny..."
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    The term I use is 'neanderthal' as in cave man way of thinking.

I've dealt with this a great deal because I deal with carpenters, electricians, plumbers, contractors in general and construction workers who still have the mindset that women can't and shouldn't work in their areas.

As a general rule, not letting them intimidate, or backing down from your position will eventually wise them up. Or... they'll learn the hard way.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    His cousin works at a home improvement store in northeastern Pennsylvania.

1)
    Me: I have mold growing on the north wall of my home and am looking for xyz product to remove it. Can you tell me where to find it?
    Guy: You're better off just moving.

2) Sign on a bench in the tool corral, same store - "Ladies, have a seat while your husbands explore the tools!"
    Me: I'm not married. Can I still look at the tools or do I have to sit here on this bench?
    Guy: **blank stare**
    (5 minutes later, when I came back, the sign was down...)

And his uncle worked at the now-defunct Saturn dealership on Route 33 in some town.

Me: My care is reving too high. She's hitting 4000 RPM on the tach at anything above 25mph. And it doesn't feel like she's catching the gear, which is weird, since it's an automatic tranny.

The guy turned to the friend standing behind me and started asking HIM questions about MY car. This friend didn't even have a license! Then the guy said there was nothing wrong with the car and I must be hearing things.

Turns out that the car was leaking oil between oil changes. Found THAT out by talking to my MOM, who suggested I check it. She was right. Half a quart between changes fixed it right up. :)
  • Billywoo
    Billywoo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    As for your insults to short people, they are as ignorant as someone assuming that a young woman can't understand anything about building work.

I didn't mean it as a jab to the vertically challenged, more so to the guys that think they need a big aggressive attitude to make up for other emotional shortcomings ei. confidence, self-respect, etc.

Its called Napoleon Complex, AKA "little man sindrome". Don't get your panty's in a bunch. Its an actual thing. Not ALL short people have this. Just some men.

- Napoleon Complex
    A peronality complex that consists of power trips and false machismo to make up for short height and feelings of inferiority.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    You tell 'em girl!! :drinker:
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't this have been better suited as a Facebook post than an MFP forum discussion? Your friends know you better than MFP forum strangers.

Another one trying out for a Mod position?
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    As for your insults to short people, they are as ignorant as someone assuming that a young woman can't understand anything about building work.

I didn't mean it as a jab to the vertically challenged, more so to the guys that think they need a big aggressive attitude to make up for other emotional shortcomings ei. confidence, self-respect, etc.

Its called Napoleon Complex, AKA "little man sindrome". Don't get your panty's in a bunch. Its an actual thing. Not ALL short people have this. Just some men.

- Napoleon Complex
    A peronality complex that consists of power trips and false machismo to make up for short height and feelings of inferiority.

Exactly! And from my experience, there's no height requirement/limit to be an *kitten*. They come in alllll shapes and sizes..
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I get attitudes from construction workers all the time. Sometimes when I go to the field to do punch lists, contractors look at me and have this "wtf? Did you get lost" look and when I introduce myself as the Architect for the job, they immediately change their face!

Fun times!
    I'm an engineer. I have the same problem!!!
    I'm an engineer, the majority of my working week is spent checking that civil engineering works are compliant in terms of both specification and health & safety.

I have to say that this sort of problem has always been very rare for me, even 30 years ago, when female engineers were as rare as hens teeth. The "secret" is to have the confidence to look and behave as if you belong there and to look and behave as if you deserve their respect.

In all these years I've only ever had one gang refuse point blank to carry out my instructions "I've never taken orders from a woman, why should I work for some slip of a girl?" the foreman said, to which I replied "That's fine, I've got my Sunday overtime, you pack up your traffic management and go back to your yard and explain to your boss why you didn't carry out the works" - his response was "Ah... So... Where did you want these trial holes?" :bigsmile:

NEVER lose your cool, remember that you're smart, you're the one in control of the situation. :smile: