Starting the day with breakfast??

Options

Replies

• debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I think in your particular case you should not eat breakfast.

Your meal timing and frequency should be dictated by personal preference and gym performance. Since not eating breakfast makes it easier for you to stick to your calorie goal (at least that's what I'm getting from your post), you should do that.

True, but experimenting with more smaller meals a day isn't a bad idea either. It would be very difficult to meet my calorie goals if I only ate two large meals a day (they'd be HUGE!). Not to mention, my stomach would be all out of whack. Whatever works for you is fine, but you'll feel better if you eat more often, especially with respect to maintaining a stable blood glucose level.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Of course you are hungrier by lunch because you started your metabolism by eating breakfast!... When you don't eat breakfast at all you don't start your metabolism and that's why you don't feel as hungry. If you have a weight loss goal this is a bad habit. I would have a light snack between your breakfast and lunch times... either that or eat half your breakfast at breakfast and the other half two hours later then you will be able to last til lunch. Which ever you choose your body adapt to your eating habits if you keep them consistent. Be Consistent! Be healthy! hope this helps :)

Your metabolism does not start and stop. Meal timing is irrelevant.

^^This

it only stops when you are dead ;)

Skip breakfast if you don't feel like eating. Intermittent fasting is good. We all do it every night while we sleep, and no one dies or gets fat during those hours because of it.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that everyone is different. I have to eat breakfast or else I turn into the Hulk.

LOL. This made me laugh because I'm the same way. :laugh: I'm usually ravenous in the morning, so skipping breakfast is like torture for me!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    And BTW I have always eaten breakfast and have never been overweight... maybe there is something to that... maybe there isn't.

I've skipped breakfast for the past 15 years and never been overweight... maybe there is something to that... maybe there isn't.

See! You helped me make my point. There's no telling :)

Indeed but I'm all for eat when your body's (not you!) hungry. If you don't wake up hungry, don't eat. No one's body is dumb enough to show no hunger signs when it needs nutrients.

Agreed! I don't eat breakfast until after my morning run because I'm not hungry at 5am :) I totally think the key is to key when your body tells you to... Great point!
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    received wisdom says that you should eat breakfast, largest meal,

and then eat small meals during the day - you do not have to be tied to breakfast, lunch and dinner. 4,5,6,8 meals of small size are just fine.

Then I have seen diets that like you to fast from going to bed till about 3 hours before going to bed again - for me that would be

eat at 7pm everyday. No more than 300 calories during the day. I haven't tried it, goes against everything that you are supposed to believe but I believe hunter gatherers used to eat but once a day and that was just before sunset.

Uh no and no and NO! Who is this the wisdom of a 2 year old named Received?????

good grief, with the power of google two people demonstrate inability to look up - received wisdom as an idiom.

Hilarious, with such research ability one should really trust their advise.

I will be laughing all the way to the Gore Vidal bank.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/the+received+wisdom

Now you two, go and try to belittle someone else.

Speaking of hilarious, what kind of idiot offers bad advice to a serious post?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    And BTW I have always eaten breakfast and have never been overweight... maybe there is something to that... maybe there isn't.

I've skipped breakfast for the past 15 years and never been overweight... maybe there is something to that... maybe there isn't.

See! You helped me make my point. There's no telling :)

Indeed but I'm all for eat when your body's (not you!) hungry. If you don't wake up hungry, don't eat. No one's body is dumb enough to show no hunger signs when it needs nutrients.

Actually it is - your 'hunger' hormones (ghrelin and leptin) can get out if whack and send wrong signals.

ETA: I do agree with you however that eating breakfast is a personal preference and not necessary as long as you hit your calorie/macro targets.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I think breakfast food is awesome......I'd rather skip lunch
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Actually it is - your 'hunger' hormones (ghrelin and leptin) can get out if whack and send wrong signals.

ETA: I do agree with you however that eating breakfast is a personal preference and not necessary as long as you hit your calorie/macro targets.

That's an abnormal side effect though and time is irrelevant in that case. It's similar to craving for sweets because of low serotonin. In those cases, we should refer to our cerebrum and not vagus nerve :drinker:
  • bongbunny
    bongbunny Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The secret to being (and staying) thin is to eat when you're hungry, don't eat when you're not.

The idea of eating every few hours hours is a modern concept. Consider how we evolved as a species and how a large portion of the world still eats today - there is no harm in skipping a meal a two. Do what feels right for you and don't buy into the idea that any particular meal (or time) is a necessity.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The secret to being (and staying) thin is to eat when you're hungry, don't eat when you're not.

The idea of eating every few hours hours is a modern concept. Consider how we evolved as a species and how a large portion of the world still eats today - there is no harm in skipping a meal a two. Do what feels right for you and don't buy into the idea that any particular meal (or time) is a necessity.

It is a necessity however when it comes to training for and competing in marathons and longer distances :)

I plan to run 90km in May next year, in April a 56km, my next closest is a 42.2km end of September, in October I got a half marathon with trying to beat a 1hr 50m time hopefully a 1hr 40m time.

So for me at least, I need my muscles to be in top shape as much as possible, I even signed up for a 450km MTB race next year August which is over 3 days. I would this year, but my marathon falls too close to it to be comfortable with doing them both adequately...
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    "Speaking of hilarious, what kind of idiot offers bad advice to a serious post? "

The sort who knows that there will be no grey area in peoples replies, eat breakfast - don't eat breakfast - eat when you are hungry -maintain balance.

There will be a lot of received wisdom in the replies. Get your logic processor around that self-proclaimed math nerd.

Of course the only answer is, whatever makes you happy and allows you to lose weight. Losing weight being the reason that you came to MFP in the first place.

Einstein definition of insanity -

"Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results."

Cheers.
  • legitlee
    legitlee Posts: 25
    Options
    What a great thread I am just like the OP if I eat B/Fast I'm starving by 10 thinking about all the cakes and sweets in the main Office :sad: I am hungry all night (It's killing me) and I always want give in. However i discipline myself and leave alone (mostly).

When I don't eat B/Fast I'm fine I snack in the morning, I lunch, I work, I train, have dinner, rest I don't have a problem no snacking I don't even think about food.

The foolish thing is I have read about B/Fast and metabolism and have been lead to believe its really important. I have tried so many B/Fast foods to remain fuller for longer its been stupid.

So I'm sat here with a big smile :smile: on my face thinking all these people are basically saying "do what's right for you" "do what works for you" So I'm going to and I think I'm going to be much happier, so thank you all very much and to the OP for bringing it up in the first place. You have all made me realise what works for me. Thx
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    I dont eat breakfast and much prefer it that way. I'm doing Intermittent Fasting (16/8) so i dont eat until lunchtime, after ive been to the gym. Its all a case of what suits you, we're all different
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i was that way, too. i never ate breakfast throughout my middle and high school years, then when i hit college and was forced to wake up earlier for classes i absolutely had to have breakfast or else i'd be completely exhausted right before lunchtime (not good to be tired when i'm trying to train my brain!). it's something you kinda have to ease into and make into a routine. it's weird, at first.. but if you keep up for a month or two, it becomes a habit that's almost unbreakable. (now, i'm grump-zilla if i don't get my breakfast!)
  • KJaxxgetinskinny
    Options
    I was exactly the same.Hungry by 10 if I ate bfast.I also snacked a lot at night. Now I have golden syrup weetabix,and find that really fills me up till lunch,and low cal and no fat! have with small amount of semi/skimmed milk,and a glass of water.Good luck!
  • shelk76
    shelk76 Posts: 58
    Options
    I dont eat breakfast for that same reason. Once I start I cant stop so usually I start to eat from 11am.
  • Meraid
    Meraid Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I heard this weird thing in bio 12 last year about the amount of carbs in your system being quite low when you wake up. So if you eat something with carbs it allows you to fuel that and gets you going. But that may only apply if you plan on exercising; but them some people prefer to get up and get right into exercising and eat afterward. I would go to school with no breakfast and not be hungry until I got home at 4. But if I forced myself to eat I would be starving by noon.
    I'm trying to eat in the mornings now, though, because I have troubles eating a lot after noon. I need to eat something in the morning or I net 1100 calories. I end up eating high calorie junk at 10pm just to get my calories up.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

That's an abnormal side effect though and time is irrelevant in that case. It's similar to craving for sweets because of low serotonin. In those cases, we should refer to our cerebrum and not vagus nerve :drinker:

Not abnormal at all in the sense that it is very common when restricting calories.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Not abnormal at all in the sense that it is very common when restricting calories.

Abnormal as in compared to how it should be in an ideal metabolism. It depends on who is restricting calories and what their diet is like you said. I never had unexplained ravenous hunger on decent amount of protein on calorie deficit with adequate sleep at sedentary. Not saying that my metabolism is ideal but more like I rarely crossed the line to eating unhealthy. With all due respect and the note that I don't advocate low carb neither paleo or primal or whatever but humans are omnivores, overweight (not in BMI sense) is not human norm and the problem usually lies in overindulging in carbohydrates especially basic carbs from processed foods. When you give your body more than it needs, it will start responding in an abnormal way, that's what I meant to say.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Abnormal as in compared to how it should be in an ideal metabolism. It depends on who is restricting calories and what their diet is like you said. I never had unexplained ravenous hunger on decent amount of protein on calorie deficit with adequate sleep at sedentary. Not saying that my metabolism is ideal but more like I rarely crossed the line to eating unhealthy. With all due respect and the note that I don't advocate low carb neither paleo or primal or whatever but humans are omnivores, overweight (not in BMI sense) is not human norm and the problem usually lies in overindulging in carbohydrates especially basic carbs from processed foods. When you give your body more than it needs, it will start responding in an abnormal way, that's what I meant to say.

Sorry - you lost me a bit there. I was responding to the comment "No one's body is dumb enough to show no hunger signs when it needs nutrients." which I believe is incorrect.