HOW DO YOU DO IT?!

Options
How do you maintain motivation with so many lbs to lose? I have about 30-40... seems to daunting. What keeps you going, and what's your best advise to stay on TRACK!

Replies

• Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I had a lot more than that. I kept my motivation up by seeing the pounds drop, and by planning ahead.
    Good luck, you can do it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I had help. I had 4 weddings to attend during my weight loss journey and all the showers/bachelorette parties and such along the way.

That said, what worked for me was tiny rewards. I bought myself a day planner and got a sticker for every day that I stuck to my diet. Yes, it's a stupid reward, but it helped me see how often I'd gone off track and gave me some instant gratification. Plus, I like stickers!

Everyone is different, but I recommend finding little things to reward yourself with along the way. Set small goals along the way so that you feel like you're achieving something and, most importantly, try to remember to have fun. No system will help you stick to a diet you hate.

I know you can find something that works for you!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Ya - I think the secret is to not look too far ahead.

It's great to have a goal in mind, but it shouldn't just be about the destination. Personally, I've learned to love the journey. I enjoy my working out, my eating well, my discussions with people on here. I've learned to love reading studies about nutirition and health.

I know I'm not where I want to be yet, but I know that if I keep it up, I'll get there.

As Dianne said, it's also nice to reward yourself along the way for reaching certain milestones.
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If I didn't lose the weight, I was going to go on meds for high blood pressure and cholesterol for the rest of my life. I knew once I started with the pharmaceuticals, it'd be over.

In 2.5 years I have lost 40lbs down to 170lbs. My BMI is 165lbs. My blood pressure now is 120/78 from 145/100.

I am doing blood work in a few weeks to see my numbers :)

My motivation? To stay alive.
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think a really important point is to HAVE FUN! It is really easy to stop a new fitness plan if it's miserable. The key for me is food. I LOVE FOOD. So I had to accept that If I want to eat certain foods, I have to put in the exercise. Planning out my whole day's worth of food after my morning workout works the best, because I am in a healthy state of mind. Everyday is not perfect, but as long as I don't beat myself up over missing a workout or going over calories, I get right back on the wagon.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I think a really important point is to HAVE FUN! It is really easy to stop a new fitness plan if it's miserable. The key for me is food. I LOVE FOOD. So I had to accept that If I want to eat certain foods, I have to put in the exercise. Planning out my whole day's worth of food after my morning workout works the best, because I am in a healthy state of mind. Everyday is not perfect, but as long as I don't beat myself up over missing a workout or going over calories, I get right back on the wagon.

Good point. I joined MFP, made some friends, keep my mind off the numbers and don't have a goal date. It's about changing my lifestyle and fitting into my skinny clothes again, but it's also about not getting on my back about my progress.

Also, support. In addition to MFP, I have a nutritionist that I see every week who helps me with my nutrition and moods.
  • DENALI2017
    Options
    Mental shift - Something snapped and now I want it more than at any other time.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    I handle it in short chunks. I work in IT and sometimes our projects can last months if not years. We take a chunk approach to projects (We only focus on 2 week chunks) so we don't get overwhelmed. I have taken the same approach to my weight loss. I set short two week or so goals and go from there. That keeps me from being overwhelmed by what still remains.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options

THIS! And mini-goals :wink:
  • michelle_w_04
    michelle_w_04 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I started I had 100 lbs. I'm down almost 30 now and I'm getting through it by setting smaller goals. My first goal was to lose 30 lbs. by September 15th and I'm so happy to see myself almost there now! My second goal is 50 lbs.(in total) by Christmas and then I'm halfway there already. :) I think if you break it down into smaller goals it doesn't seem as daunting. I also plan on rewarding myself when I reach my mini-goals.
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Focus on the 5 pound marks. I want to get below 185 right now, but my ultimate goal is 145. But my focus is 185. I don't care about anything else. Once I get below 185 then I will focus on 180. Eventually I will be focusing on 145.
  • misskatibear
    misskatibear Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Make it fun, make it an adventure. See into the future, look how proud you will be of yourself for going through such an epic journey. And think how much better you will feel about yourself.

Think fun, think future :) That's how I keep going. I am just excited to see what I will look like with a small stomach, can't wait :)

Put your game face on, and your war paint on. YOU CAN DO THIS.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Mini goals! For me I don't focus on pounds lost, I focus on "Can I eat completely clean for 2 weeks straight?" "Can I workout X amount of time this week?" Give yourself new challenges each week and own it! You can do it :D
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    The easiest and best advice is to think of this as a LIFESTYLE and nothing else... There is no time limits, no diets.... You just make it part of your everyday life. I started my new life May 2009 and 37 months later and 311 lbs. lost and I am taking it one day at a time. I get up everyday and do everything I can to be as successful as I possible can and when I go to bed each night I have no regrets, then I get up tomorrow and do it all over again..... Best of Luck.....
  • lau4491
    lau4491 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    what keeps me on track, and i have 86 more pounds to lose, is that if i give up now, by this time next year i coudlve been there already, so i dont give up, because i want to be there by this time next year!
  • miracleharper
    Options
    [/quote

I totally agree. thats exactly what happend for me. i just got sick and tired of being sick and tired. don't look at the big picture. take it in baby steps . say five pound goals . and reward yourself with something other than food. thats what keeps me going and the fact i am 45 pounds down since feb! i have a class Reunion comming up and i will confess, i'd love to turn a few heads and give them the "how do you like me now " look. lol I know , i know it should only be about doing it to be healthy. don't judge me lol
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    It does seem daunting at first. Starting is the hardest part. Have a plan for everyday, week month (both for food and exercise). Update the plan as you get stronger and learn what foods you like. Take it one day at a time, and be patient. Soon your new eating and exercise routine will become habits, and when that happens you have a new lifestyle.
  • johnsnana
    Options
    When I first started dieting & had alot to lose my motivation was my grandson being born. I want to be alive & healthy enough to take him to Disneyworld/Land, fishing in Tampa & anywhere he wants to go. I also want to be alive to see him graduate & have kids!
    Atkins gave me that extra UMPH I needed by allowing me to see quick results :o) so when the numbers on the scale drop, THAT IS MOTIVATION
  • pashton2004
    Options
    I compete with my Mom.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If I didn't lose the weight, I was going to go on meds for high blood pressure and cholesterol for the rest of my life. I knew once I started with the pharmaceuticals, it'd be over.

In 2.5 years I have lost 40lbs down to 170lbs. My BMI is 165lbs. My blood pressure now is 120/78 from 145/100.

I am doing blood work in a few weeks to see my numbers :)

My motivation? To stay alive.

This is my story.