mixed reviews on eating after 8pm...

Options
13»

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat all of your 1500 (or whatever your goal is) calories 10 minutes before you go to bed then do it. You won't magically gain weight in a deficit. Meal timing is completely irrelevant. Starvation mode is something most of us on MFP wouldn't encounter in 3 lifetimes. Maybe metabolic adaptation is what you mean. Research that term instead (it's not the scary monster people make it out to be).

yay for the voice of reason, and the best answer on this thread...
    :drinker:
  • razzlinroses
    razzlinroses Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there! At night I normally go to bed between 10pm & 11pm. In the morning I get up between 7am & 8am. Normally I don't eat after 7:00pm. During the day I eat lite breakfast, lunch & dinner with some occasional healthy snacks in between but not always. Drink lots of filtered water and some Crystal Lite..

Occasionally when I have special events with my husband, families & friends, sometimes we'll eat dinnet late after 8pm, When that happens, I notice when i go to weigh myself in the morning, I gain a few pounds back, ugh. So I try not to nag my hubby, families & friends to try and plan the dinner before 7pm for special occasions too but often it doesn't work that way as I hope. On normal days, we'll eat & finish dinner before 7pm.

Penny
  • mandiibayybee
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    I'm a night owl too, and my trainer said it was ok to eat later IF it was low in fat, wasn't full of carbs, and if I didn't eat anything within 2 hrs. of bedtime. No carbs after 7 was the general rule, and while its a hard one to stick to at first, it did make a difference pretty quickly on the scale.
  • robin52077
    Options
    and my trainer said it was ok to eat later IF it was low in fat, wasn't full of carbs, and if I didn't eat anything within 2 hrs. of bedtime. No carbs after 7 was the general rule,

your trainer is full of broscience...
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The last thing I eat every day (drink really) is a glass of whole milk - about 150 cals worth, in the 20 minutes before I turn in for the night. Lots of nights I don't eat dinner until after 8, have a snack around 10, and go to bed between 11 and 12. I've been losing at a nice steady pace - it hasn't slowed my progress in the least. I don't put much stock in eating by the clock.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    the only reason you dont eat after ten is the nom nom nom noises keeps everyone else awake
  • ashbee03
    ashbee03 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i don't think it matters really.
    i j ust know that you are suppose to eat a certain amount of hours before sleeping.
    because if you eat too close to sleeping, you will not get the sleep you need, especially if you're working out and trying to lose weight.
    your body will be too concentrated on digesting.
    so it's not completely "rested", whereas if you eat i think it is 3 hours before sleep, i could be wrong, your body is completely rested and you go into a better rested sleep.
    that's all i've heard, do not know if it is true.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Hi there! At night I normally go to bed between 10pm & 11pm. In the morning I get up between 7am & 8am. Normally I don't eat after 7:00pm. During the day I eat lite breakfast, lunch & dinner with some occasional healthy snacks in between but not always. Drink lots of filtered water and some Crystal Lite..

Occasionally when I have special events with my husband, families & friends, sometimes we'll eat dinnet late after 8pm, When that happens, I notice when i go to weigh myself in the morning, I gain a few pounds back, ugh. So I try not to nag my hubby, families & friends to try and plan the dinner before 7pm for special occasions too but often it doesn't work that way as I hope. On normal days, we'll eat & finish dinner before 7pm.

Penny
    The real solution is to just not weigh yourself the morning after a special event :flowerforyou:
    Really, it doesn't matter what time you eat. If you're noticing an uptick on the scale the next day, it's just water weight.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    and my trainer said it was ok to eat later IF it was low in fat, wasn't full of carbs, and if I didn't eat anything within 2 hrs. of bedtime. No carbs after 7 was the general rule,

Agreed.

And this is where I'd insert my "eat a dick" advice. It's also low in carbs.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    <<< fasts for about 16-18hrs a day. (muscles haven't fallen off & not dead yet)

Quite often eating last meal of the day in bed. (doesn't magically wake up fat)
  • robin52077
    Options

Agreed.

And this is where I'd insert my "eat a dick" advice. It's also low in carbs.

haha! see the middle of page 2...I specifically advised AGAINST swallowing a c(L)ock...
  • sherylawalker
    Options
    I don't think it matters overall. Esp if you are eating healthy food. My late night indulgences tend to be desert. I just hate the morning after weigh in when the scale goes up...sure it goes back down eventually though. I would also significantly up your water intake in the evening/ night hours because it may be thirst instead of hunger.