Garden Vegetable Soup.....it needs flavor, ideas?!

Options
13»

Replies

• mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I second the Better than bullion!! I add it to rice.. soups.. everything.. :D They have a veggie one if you're going for vegetarian.
  • joy5877
    joy5877 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I like to add Hot & spicy V-8 juice to my veg. soups.

V8 or tomato juice usually helps.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I would add some chicken, beef, or even sausage to the soup. It would raise the calorie count, but provide some needed protein and fat along with some flavor.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters...sauté the vegetables before adding the liquid, add some tomatoes and tons more fresh herbs (or not quite tons of dried ones :)) Another suggestion is to put it all in the slow cooker and let it go all day. I find that lets the flavours in soup develop nicely.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I agree with the person who said better than boullion. I use this for a soup base in everything I make, it has a much better flavor than plain chicken broth and it's generally cheaper.

I would also suggest this - add a few parmesan rinds to the soup while it simmers. You take them out afterwards (they are really gross and soggy) but it really packs a punch flavor-wise. I always do this for minestrone. My grocery store usually has them with the italian cheeses, but if you have a cheese counter at your local grocer you can probably get them, it's not as obscure as it sounds. Not really sure how many calories it adds because you're taking the rinds out of the soup after it's cooked, but I doubt it's that many.
  • khand58
    khand58 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You need to boost the umami, or savory flavor of the soup. You can do this by adding 1/8 oz (about 2 tsp) of dried, ground Porcini mushrooms. They are usually sold in bags hanging in the produce section and are easily ground in your spice grinder or mini food processor. When you add the mushrooms you may also be able to decrease the soy sauce to 2 tsp since it is also a umami.
  • lalapurple62
    Options
    5 or 6 stalks of finely chopped celery sauteed with the onions then add cummin coriander and smoky paprika, if you are going to add some chicken i love fennel seeds as well, i tend to go to the spice drawer and keep adding until i like the end result, and its always better the next day
  • Kalliejc
    Kalliejc Posts: 36
    Options
    half a jar of extra hot picante :tongue:

This. Maybe not extra hot though. ;)
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    jalepenos
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    If you get potato flour (Health Food Stores carry the Mills brand), you can put a few teaspoons of dehydrated potato into your soup to thicken it. :)

Monica
  • ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    Smoked paprika or filet powder would make it yummy.
  • Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If I were making it, I wold try toasting the spices (any seeds, pepper, etc.) and roasting the veggies (except maybe the spinach) before adding to the soup.

And if you're using corn on a cob, add the cob to the stock and remove before serving. You'll get a much stronger corn flavor that way.
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Make vegetable broth the day before (celery, onion, carrots, spices), then strain it all and refrigerate the broth 24 hours if you made a beef broth, you'll have a layer of fat you can scrap off - healthier yet!

For the soup - try adding the following:

ROSEMARY! Love this spice. Use that in both the broth and the soup
    Bay Leaf
    Parsely
    Peppercorns (broth)
    ground pepper (soup)
    Routebegga - an awesome vegetable in soup. turnips are good too, but I like them in the chicken soups better.

Hope that helps!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Red pepper flakes?