Need Help Working Up to Pullups/Chinups

Options
Raynne413
Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
Ok, so apparently I am much weaker than I would like and can't even get my toes off the ground on my first attempt (not 100% sure I'm doing it right).
Any suggestions on how to slowly work my way up to doing pullups and chinups? This is my new goal for myself, and I am determined! However, keep in mind that I don't have access to a gym. I only have access to one of the over the door bars that I am borrowing from a friend!

Replies

• trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I loooove this guy's tutorials. He has some good info on how to work up to pull ups without needing a gym.

http://www.alkavadlo.com/2010/09/learning-to-do-a-pull-up/

My hubby built me a pullup bar in the back yard, but before that I would go to the local elementary school or park. They usually have some sort of play equipment with a bar on it.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/

I did just what the guys said. It works! That is all.

The negatives (walk the plank) worked wonders for me. I went from barely doing a couple chin ups to doing 5 sets of 5 chin ups within a couple months. I've started working on pull ups now and I'm now doing negatives on these till they get easy enough to do for real in sets.

Pro tip. Do you like to work your abs? Wait till you try to do a few sets of negative chin ups. Your abs will be so sore the next day. Just wait and see. This is an awesome workout for your core.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    I need help with this too. I have no idea how the heck anyone does them! Going to click on the links.
  • iWaffle
    Options
    I have a pull assist machine at my gym. I don't use it. The negatives (walk the plank) are more than enough work to get you there. Just so you know. Yes, it's freaking hard at first and it will make your arms burn. You'll be thinking "This is stupid. I look like a struggling idiot". Yes people might stare at you as you fail to do even a single chin up. Keep doing them. Don't give up. You'll get stronger and stronger. Now I can walk up to the bar when I'm fully rested and easily do 10 chin ups. It looks pretty bad-@ss and the odd looks I got for a few months are replaced by looks of awe. Don't give a flip about what others think. Just do the work and be a pathetic struggling fool on the bar. It pays off and you'll love it.

Now back to being a struggling idiot doing actual proper palms-out pull ups. Yee ha!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    You can practice them with your feet on a chair. You can also use a band around the bar and put your feet through it.
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Thanks so much for the help!! I can't wait to take a look at the links!

Out of curiosity, I do have a rotator cuff injury. Does anyone think this will be a problem?
  • ncwinn4
    ncwinn4 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks so much for the help!! I can't wait to take a look at the links!

Out of curiosity, I do have a rotator cuff injury. Does anyone think this will be a problem?

I have the same injury, I find its only bothersome on wide grips.

As for the link, the walk the plank idea sounds cool. Coming from someone who did lats and rows to build myself up I'd stay stay away from the equipment. Even if you can only mustard a few, the people who are staring probably cant do any, because those who can do them where in the same spot you were at one point.
  • iWaffle
    Options
    I have the same injury, I find its only bothersome on wide grips.

I injured my left shoulder rotator cuff about a year and a half ago so I'm really aware of what places strain on the shoulder. Chin ups (palm facing you) don't bother it at all. The shoulders are more of a stabilization muscle in this exercise. They do get some work but not directly. A lot of the work is done with the assistance of your bicep and your lats are working really hard to pull your elbows down. You'll be feeling the burn in your biceps and forearms more than anything at first. That's most likely the weakest thing when you start out.

As stated above I don't feel real stress on that joint unless you start putting your grip out wider on the pull ups (palms facing out) but even that isn't too bad.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I did negatives also. I didn't start with chin up negatives. I only did pull up negatives. It took about 3-4 weeks until I tried a chin up and could do it. Then a week later, I was able to do a pull up. I am only up to 4 consecutive pull ups right now.
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Thanks again for the help! My rotator is just now getting to the point where I can sleep on that side again. The last thing I want to do is re-irritate it!!
  • fitandstrongmommy
    fitandstrongmommy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I find the band around the bar really helps, at first I thought the band would be doing all the work. No so you can really feel it in your arms.
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Ok, I feel really pathetic, but I tried the negatives last night. While I didn't drop uncontrollably to the ground, but it certainly didn't take me more than a second or two to go all the way down!!!! I apparently have a LOT of work to do. :grumble: :embarassed:
  • iWaffle
    Options
    Ok, I feel really pathetic, but I tried the negatives last night. While I didn't drop uncontrollably to the ground, but it certainly didn't take me more than a second or two to go all the way down!!!! I apparently have a LOT of work to do. :grumble: :embarassed:

:laugh: I told you. Just let go of all sense of pride and keep doing them. Just tell yourself "getting stronger". I promise you these work and I've been in the same position you're in just now. Do just what Scooby said. This takes some time but if you really stick with these, in a month or so you'll notice "Hey, I can just hold myself here for a minute". Then you're going to freak when you find you can actually do a legit pull up all on your own. It's so worth it. Keep going.

You already know I'm sure but these are awesome for your arms and back even if you're just doing the negatives. You're pulling some serious big-boy weight on this exercise and it's going to pay off. Negatives are not a joke. You can apply the exact same thing and get better at real pushups. The negative portion is half of the exercise but don't ever mistake it for less than exercise. It engages the exact same muscles in the exact way you need to fully do the exercise. That's why this is a much quicker route to getting chin ups than using an assist machine or a resistance band to help.

EDIT: Your struggle and failure to hold the position is telling your body "Help! I need more muscle". Just keep at it and your body will respond accordingly.
  • marines0923
    Options
    pullups and chin ups are difficult. It takes a strengthening of the upper back muscles. In the gym, I often see many massively ripped bodybuilder types who does not have the strength to lift their own body weight via pullups, so dont feel bad...

One thing you might try, and I am no expert but I am also trying to increase the amount of pullups I can do because Tony Horton makes it look so easy :-/

Inverted pullups - a bar (appx three feet from the ground) lye under the bar with your body fully extended. Grasp the bar with both hands. With your core muscels tight, pull your chest to the bar. 3 sets of as many as you can do to failure. That will certainly get you started.

Then there are rowing exercises that youcan google if you have access to weights or resistance bands. I personally do not recommend bands, but that is because I have outgrown them and one snapped nearly knocking me out... could have ended badly. But if you do buy bands make sure they are the best quality.
  • Raynne413
    Options
    I can do SOME full body pushups, usually 10-12 at a time, with a wider hand position. If I try to do the triceps pushups, I crash and burn. LOL

Oddly enough, I was stronger with my palms facing away from me, than with my palms facing me (I never can remember the distinction between chinups and pullups). So I suppose my back muscles are stronger than my biceps, which really doesn't surprise me much. I've also noticed that with my palms facing me, my wrists actually start to hurt. Does this have to do with something I'm doing wrong, or just weaker in that area?

I was interested in the inverted pullups, but just don't have access to the a bar.

I've also had the suggestion of just hanging from the bar until I can't hold it anymore.
  • ellie319
    ellie319 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I find the band around the bar really helps, at first I thought the band would be doing all the work. No so you can really feel it in your arms.

the band helped me in USMC boot :)
  • Raynne413
    Options
    I will say my arms are getting more and more sore as the day goes by. LOL But my back isn't sore at all. :frown:
  • iWaffle
    Options
    I can do SOME full body pushups, usually 10-12 at a time, with a wider hand position. If I try to do the triceps pushups, I crash and burn. LOL
    That's beastly awesome. Most ladies can't do one. Nice job.
    Oddly enough, I was stronger with my palms facing away from me, than with my palms facing me (I never can remember the distinction between chinups and pullups). So I suppose my back muscles are stronger than my biceps, which really doesn't surprise me much. I've also noticed that with my palms facing me, my wrists actually start to hurt. Does this have to do with something I'm doing wrong, or just weaker in that area?
    Palm facing you is chin ups. That uses a lot of bicep muscle but does use quite a bit of back muscle too. The palm out pull ups is more back muscle than anything. If you want to just skip the chin ups and go for the pull ups that's your decision. A lot of guys find the chin ups easier because we're vain and like nice biceps. Both are great exercises.

The wrists hurting is probably just from the forearm effort needed for your hand gripping the bar. There's no real secret to gripping the bar. Not like you can do it wrong. That's all forearm power and it will take some getting used to. That pain will probably be the first to fade away and you'll feel it more in your upper arms and then your back.

I've also had the suggestion of just hanging from the bar until I can't hold it anymore.
    That will work just your forearms. I'm sure that's good for your grip but personally I don't see the need for it. They'll get plenty of work already if you're doing sets of negatives several times a week.

Next day you do these hold your knees up when you do the negatives. It's like doing all your ab work at the same time. :wink:
  • Raynne413
    Options

Next day you do these hold your knees up when you do the negatives. It's like doing all your ab work at the same time. :wink:

Oh my Lord, you're trying to kill me! LOL But I'll give it a try!!! I am always up for a challenge, and I am determined to do this eventually!!!
    Unfortunately, I"m also rather easily frustrated if I can't do something perfectly. :bigsmile:
  • iWaffle
    Options
    I did 3 sets of 6 pull ups and 2 sets of 5 negative wide grip pull ups tonight.... at the gym... struggling like a weak fool.... in front of everyone... Those wide grip negatives were killing me but I still do them. 215 pounds (me) isn't an easy amount of weight to hold up on the bar. I see people do pull ups but never see anyone do wide grip pull ups. I'm going to be "that guy".

Check out Scooby's newest video. He's the boss on these things. Very motivational. It can be done.

http://youtu.be/wSglftsQgoc