Need Help Working Up to Pullups/Chinups

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Great info here. Very helpful. Thanks everyone!
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Great responses! Totally bumping this thread to come back and get those links!!
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Bumping to watch these links tomorrow!
  • HulkDiesel77
    HulkDiesel77 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Push ups, push ups, push ups
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas here!

Thanks
  • m1311
    m1311 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks!
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Push ups, push ups, push ups

Not really. I was able to do 20+ push ups in a set when I couldn't do pull ups.

Best way to get better at something is to do that thing. Working on pull ups will make you more able to do them.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    bump
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Practice as often as possible:
    -negatives
    -locked off holds (straight arm, fully bent, 90 degrees for as long as you can hold the position)
    -assisted pulls and chins - use a dynaband or one toe (or more) on the floor to help you up

When I was 20, I could barely manage one chin up. At 40, this is me:
    http://youtu.be/yGFp5rE3cUU

:bigsmile:
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    bumping to look at the links later
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I wil do pull ups one day!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Since a long time ago in high school gym class and having my teacher call me weak, I have harbored a desire to want to do pullups...

So a few years ago I installed a pullup bar right outside my bathroom door. I would attempt to do a pullup each time I went to the bathroom and each time I exited. Most of these attempts were fails. And I did mostly negatives ....

Well 6 weeks later after doing this daily I went from 0..to immediately doing 3!

I have gotten as high as 8 deadhangs currently. Working on getting to 10.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    What did it for me was working out with a suspension trainer.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/

I did just what the guys said. It works! That is all.

The negatives (walk the plank) worked wonders for me. I went from barely doing a couple chin ups to doing 5 sets of 5 chin ups within a couple months. I've started working on pull ups now and I'm now doing negatives on these till they get easy enough to do for real in sets.

Pro tip. Do you like to work your abs? Wait till you try to do a few sets of negative chin ups. Your abs will be so sore the next day. Just wait and see. This is an awesome workout for your core.

I've been using this tutorial too. I agree about the soreness. These negatives really work you hard, and they hurt more than any other exercise I've done whilst trying to get fit. Arms, chest, it feels like everywhere is sore! I suppose that's one reason chin-ups are such a good exercise, because they work so many muscles!

I'm still walking the plank, but I do feel a difference in strength.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options

oooh i'm doing scooby too.
    I just love his pecs.
    I just started about 2-3 weeks ago, couldn' t do a reverse chin up.

Then on thurs got a nice slow reverse chin up ( and a few more).
    I know i still have a long way to go, but it does work really well.
    ( would probably work better if i managed the fulll 5 sets, but i only manage 3)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I can do SOME full body pushups, usually 10-12 at a time, with a wider hand position. If I try to do the triceps pushups, I crash and burn. LOL

Oddly enough, I was stronger with my palms facing away from me, than with my palms facing me (I never can remember the distinction between chinups and pullups). So I suppose my back muscles are stronger than my biceps, which really doesn't surprise me much. I've also noticed that with my palms facing me, my wrists actually start to hurt. Does this have to do with something I'm doing wrong, or just weaker in that area?

I was interested in the inverted pullups, but just don't have access to the a bar.

I've also had the suggestion of just hanging from the bar until I can't hold it anymore.

Try the 100 pushups programme, to support developing that. It's a good programme. I'm seeing real progress with it. (From being utterly pathetic, to just a bit pathetic.... )