Replies

• pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    wow you look awesome!!!! :wink:
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    I was exposed to housing that had high Chlordane levels in 1977 and developed some Thyroid antibodies even though I tested normal range. It felt like chronic flu. Doctors have been very confused, not knowing if it is a for sure correlation, and just gave me synthroid 100 mcgs. Then another doctor insisted that Armour was the natural way to go and I gained 15 lbs. I'm back on Synthroid and added 5 cytomel (T3) and that helps. Never really feeling normal though. Did lose the last 15 though! A friend was also put on Armour and said she felt great. I saw her 6 mos. later and she had gained about 15 lbs. She's on synthroid now too. Obviously some people do fine, but you couldn't pay me to take that stuff again. Congrats on your weight loss! I think the hormones become more stable in a normal weight range.
  • katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic, and have a great sense of style at any size, OP. Seriously. Congratulations!
  • LiamGTR
    LiamGTR Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Looking good!
  • jennco3
    jennco3 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. You look great! And you have inspired me.
    I also have hypo. And felt a little defeated latley. But after reading you post and everyone else that commented Im feeling a bit better. So thank you to everyone for sharing your stories and giving advice.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize I was still getting responses as I am not notified when I do.

For those that are struggling with hypo, it took me 2 1/2 years after being diagnosed to actually start losing weight. I finally found an endocrinologist who listened to me and how I was feeling physically as well as look at my lab results.

I started out with levoxyl for 1 1/2 years, nothing happened, not even my hypo symptoms decreased. then I found a new doctor, an endo, who put me on 2 weeks of synthroid while waiting for my results from the blood tests. when we got those results, he found that I was also borderline diabetic and that I needed both T4 and T3 so he put me on Armour Thyroid. for 6 months, I changed my diet and started to exercise but I still wasn't losing weight.

So he increased my dose of Armour Thyroid and recommended Blood Sugar Support supplements and it was then I started to lose weight. I lost 11lbs in 4 weeks. and the rest leads to where I'm at now. and I'm no longer borderline diabetic.

When I lost about 20 lbs, he tried to decrease my dose of Armour Thyroid, but my hypo symptoms came back even though my lab results showed I was ok with the dose. So at my quarterly check up, i told him about my hypo symptoms coming back, but I was still losing weight, just not as fast, it slowed down a lot. He ended up going by my feelings and increased it back to where I was prior and now i'm feeling great.

And even though I'm not losing weight as quickly, I know I am trimming down because I take measurements and pictures. I am teetering between 139-141lbs right now, but my clothes are definitely fitting better. I went from a sz 8 to a sz 5/6. 6 being a little loose but 5 being a bit too tight.

just a tip: it's not always a great idea to stick to the scale, the measuring tape and taking progress pics are probably the best way to go, especially in the last stretches where you only need to lose about 10lbs.

and for those who work out constantly and burn a lot, but still stick to low calorie diets, you may just be working against yourself. I did that in the beginning and I hit a plateau. I tried working out more, but still eating the same and nothing happened. Your body needs the fuel and like many has already said, you need to eat at least half your exercise calories. You'll start to notice a bit of weight gain at first, but then you'll definitely start losing.

I recommended sticking to your low calorie on days you don't work out and eating a bit more on the days you do work out.

Also, weight training helps out soooo much. I only did cardio the first 4-5 months of my journey and have now added weight training and I must say the results are a lot better than cardio alone.

Hope this helps and again, thank you to everyone who's shown me support!

Thanks for sharing your story! You look incredible! I gained about 35lbs. in 6 months last year and have been fighting for 8 months to drop it with no luck...I had my one thyroid removed 8 years ago and have been on no meds but have recently been displaying hypo symptoms which my last endo wouldn't do anything about. I've got an appointment here in 3 weeks with a new endo and am hoping to have results like yours.

Keep up your awesome work!! Your story has inspired me to stick with it right now even though it's been a rough 8 months! :flowerforyou:
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
  • ebenso1
    ebenso1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have been hypothyroid for the last 16 years. I don't attribute my weight gain solely to my condition. I am also a nurse. I work in internal medicine where most of our patients are hypothyroid. If you are adjusted correctly it really is a non issue. Yes, your thyroid affects many body functions, but the synthroid is to replace what your body isn't doing for you, so if your adjusted correctly you should be like any other "normal" person. I have been eating a 1500 calorie a day diet, I work out pretty hard core 6 days a week with cardio and weight training, I do a bootcamp. I have lost 35 pounds and it hasn't been easy but not impossible. Keep your chin up, it will happen for you!
  • icesk8ermom
    icesk8ermom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi. What if you do not eat the recommended amount of calories? would you lose more weight or would I be putting myself into starvation mode?

Not eating your calories back is harmful to you and your body. No you will not go into starvation mode immediately but if you continue this way for eating yes you could.

The problem with those who have hypothyroid is that your metabolism is shot due to the improper functioning thyroid. First, solution is to make sure your meds are correct for you. Second, is you must eat enough for your body to fuel itself so it doesn't hoard your fat and make more. And third, you need to do circuit training (cardio and weights) to boost your metabolism.

Here is what most people do not understand.......A 1200 calorie diet (for women) is based on NO exercise; this is what you need to function and live a healthy life. When you burn the calories it is like you never ate them; therefore, you must eat more to meet the 1200 calorie daily intake. When the doctor or nutritionist tells you to "eat" 1200 calories this is based on NO exercise so if you exercise you have to eat more to start with OR eat back your calories.

Lets' say it takes 3 logs to keep a fire going; if they all burn to ashes what will happen to the fire if you don't replace the logs???

Ok so if you don’t eat the recommended amount of calories one would think I would weigh nothing and look great right???

Wrong…… not only did I gain weight (yes I said GAIN) that is because I lost all.....ALL of my muscle mass in my toned and very strong legs. And it showed on the soccer field. I could hardly kick the ball any more. I used to be able to kick the ball 40+ yards easily. Now I could hardly do 10-15 yards. I began to get injured quite regularly, bad painful injuries too. I didn't realize how bad I was or connect the dots as to why I pretty much sucked on the soccer field until I went to physical therapy. They did basic strength tests in my legs (resistant tests) to see how much I needed to build and where to set the weights for training etc.

I was completely embarrassed to say I had played soccer for 35 years!!!

I didn’t realize that I had been eating below on 1200 calories AND playing soccer (so pretty much ate negative calories on days I played soccer). I had a very busy life, work full-time, school full-time and worked a side job as an independent baker; I never made time to eat. Now that I look back there were days that I know I was eating probably only 600 calories a day and then played soccer on top of that! So yes, by eating below 1200 calories, will not only make you gain weight but make you lose muscle.

I have slowly begun to drop my weight. Because I am building my muscle mass back I am not seeing a huge drop on the scale; however, in 2 weeks (from the time I measured) I have already seen a 1.5” drop in my thighs and waist measurements each. (bought a new skirt last weekend and had to exchange it because I bought my normal size….went down 2 sizes but the scale doesn’t say that…..so don’t live by what the scale is telling you; measure!)

The hardest thing for people (myself included) is to recognize the difference between losing weight and looking skinner. Just because you lose weight may not make you look and skinner or better. You need to eat right exercise and lifts some weights to look skinner (or toned). Sometimes as someone posted above you can actually weigh more or the same and look a million times better!

So yes you need to eat your exercise calories back or you will lose muscle mass and could actually gain weight which defeats the purpose.

~Good luck….if you do things right you can achieve a better looking you!
  • teachme93
    teachme93 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been using Myfitnesspal for just about a year now - Since I started using it I have lost 45 Lbs. But As of April I haven't lost a lb. I am eating about 1250 Calories a day and working out 7 days a week for a minimum of 30 minutes. I have had some bumps in the road - I was diagnosed with Iron Deficiency Anemia in November and at a recent check up was diagnosised with Hypothyroidism. I was put on 50mg of Synthroid and I go back for a recheck in 8 weeks. I am hoping this is part of why I am stuck - but the fact that the 45 lbs came off doesn't tell me it is the end of the story. My level was a 10 (my husband (who is a nurse) is kind of shocked they are treating me. as for myself I think they need to look into this a little more other then just one metabolic panel. Should I have been referred to an endocrinologist? Or can a Primary Doctor handle this? Any insite?? Good Job our your success :) I hope to continue mine.
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    If 10 is your TSH level, that is high. I think it should be under 5. Most GP's just check the TSH and prescribe Synthroid. An Endo may run some tests on T3, T4 levels if you are still having symptoms. The Synthroid, T4, is supposed to convert to T3 in your system and T3 is what your body needs most. Armour is also prescribed sometimes as more natural and it has T4 and T3 already. I had horrible results with side effects on that, including weight gain. There are also antibody tests they can do. Antibodies can block T4 conversion to T3. There is a Hypothyroid group on MFP where you could get some support. Hope this helps :smile:
  • denmark979
    denmark979 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    get it girl!!!
  • aubriemedina
    aubriemedina Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    you look great!! very inspirational
  • teachme93
    teachme93 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you - I will look for the group. Its all new to me and of course - I am trying to make sense of it.. since my first 45 lbs fell off within a matter of 6 months.
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ASDavis72
    ASDavis72 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You look amazing; I’m in the process of finding my way with hypothyroidism too. Most people can’t understand how much work must be put into losing weight, but it’s a battle I plan to fight to the end. Congratulations on your successful weight loss.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!