Diet vs exercise

Options
13»

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Diet will always be the key element of body weight.

Exercise will always be the key element of body composition.

Exercise is more important for long term maintenence.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I agree that calorie restriction is best for loosing weight and it can't be done with exercise alone. However, in my experience the weight that you loose with diet alone will be some fat and a lot of muscle.

A little more than a year ago I lost 30 lbs on Weight Watchers with no exercise at all. I did it as part of a weight loss study at Texas A&M University, so they measured all sorts of things during the study including body fat and strength. At the end, after I lost the 30 lbs, my body fat percentage was the same as before and my strength and endurance were both way lower. Basically, I was in the healthy weight range of BMI, but was weak and didn't feel any better even though I was eating better.

Shortly after, I got pregnant and gained 40lbs (baby was born 5/21). This time, I have decided to incorporate exercise into my life and stop making excuses. I work full time and have little kids, so finding the time is hard, but I am making it a priority now. After exercising and eating healthy for the past 6 weeks I have lost all but 8 lbs of the baby weight and feel SO much better. My endurance and strength are up and I really feel like what I'm loosing is mostly fat.

So, for me personally, it's about more than loosing weight. I want to loose fat, keep as much muscle as possible with the ultimate goal of feeling great and being healthy.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Weight loss, yes. But I don't want to *just* lose weight - I want to be active and healthy and participate in great activities. If I just lost weight without excercising, interesting activities and an outdoor attitude I'd take out a good part of the flavor of what I enjoy.

So, I'm sure the study is accurate, diet is more important for weight loss - but just like trumpets are the loudest in the orchestra, you still need the whole package to make the music. And to stick with it - at least for me.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this isn't new news. You can eat back your exercise in a few bites. Go to a spin class and then head to Starbucks...your whole class could be gone in one low fat pumpkin bread slice. I workout as a living, and if I'm not paying attention to my food I will gain. It's honestly 90% food. Wish it wasn't!!
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    My understanding has always been 80% diet 20% exercise.

Mine too! Which sucks for me cause I love exercising but I also LOVE food!
  • nancycola
    nancycola Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am living proof of this.

My exercise regimen is set. On average, 5 Bikram yoga classes per week, 90-120 minutes long plus general moving around, biking, walking the dog, swimming here and there. I am strong, visible muscles.

BUT, lately, with strict tracking I see my calories are about 1800 on average (hurts to say that). I've lost a little but I could do a lot better. I avoid eating back all my exercise calories but I see it's not just about how much exercise I put in.
    This is a very timely article for me. Time to stop justifying the binges because of exercise!

Thanks!!!

• cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I exercise as much to be in better shape as I do to lose weight. It helps tone the muscles and I always feel good afterward. But I have also learned that you should do whatever works best for you.
  • CastroDaDon
    CastroDaDon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There's no substitute, they go hand in hand...
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I agree. Its hard to out exercise a bad diet

I have a friend who's insanely overweight, but she's always so annoying when it comes to complaining about not losing weight. She goes to the gym like 5 times a week, but eats like crap and eats a lot. She just doesn't get it... duhhhh
  • naivenitara
    Options
    Can't have one without the other. Sure, you might loose weight with a good diet, but then you could end up skinny flabby, versus skinny toned. I like the 80/20 rule (80% diet, 20% exercise), but truthfully for me it's more like 70/30. Good luck with all your weight loss goals everyone! =D
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have always thought diet was more important than exercise for weight loss. I do like to balance both though for best results.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Exercise allows me to eat more but still achieve the same deficit - which keeps me happier! I am also finding that I'm in smaller clothing sizes now than I was at this weight on the way up, so exercise is making me more solid but smaller than I would be otherwise.

I don't hold with exercising every day like some here. 4-5 days a week seems healthier allowing yourself to recover between.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

I love food too.

Good, nourishing, nutrient-dense, varied food that fills me up and gives my body what it needs.

Food is not the enemy.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    exercise is important too though... if you ever want to be fit....
  • abeisang
    Options
    Hey there My name is Drea I am 22 years old I work in a hospital overnights and also as an emt during the day so my schedule can be really funky for trying to stay on a healthy diet. For me I try to stick to my daily alotment of calories between midnight and midnight the next day. According to the MFP app I should be eating 1470 calories a day to stay on track with loosing about 2 pounds a day. I have tried to cut out the soda drinking and focus on getting the complex carbs and proteins I need. Along with that I have been swimming laps at a decent pace for an hour and 30 minutes at the gym followed by light weight lifting focusing on strength and building tone versus becoming too bulky. My concern is that I typically burn anywhere from 2000 and 2100 calories a day working out and although I am feeling stronger and more fit I am worried that according to the MFP app I am supposed to eat all those calories back so that I reach my net calorie goal. Should I be discouraged if I am not shedding the weight faster? or should I try and not eat ALL of those burnt calories back?
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've always understood this!
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    It's pretty commonly known that diet is much more important than exercise for weight loss, and I certainly agree. In the past, I lost weight easily through diet alone, although I did gain it all back... This is my first time ever combining diet and exercise, and my loss is slower than on diet alone. I feel like exercise has complicated the process, but I'm sticking with it because I'm now going for body re-composition rather than just weight loss.