MFP is NOT the holy grail

Options

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Totally agree that people need to stop focusing on the minutiae. It drives me crazy, all the little calorie tweaks and all the "IS THIS OKAY?!??!" posts.

This does not require difficult formulas or much thought at all. Here, this is how it works for diet: Eat less. Losing weight yet? If not, eat a little less. Are you losing weight? Great. Do you feel good? No? Okay, maybe eat a little more.

It is that simple. If it works, do it. If it doesn't work, change it. Any freakouts about the details are largely unnecessary.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    so... does it weigh more or less than a duck?

Are you sure it's not made of wood?

doesnt matter.....she turned me into a newt!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Of course it's not the holy grail. It's merely a grail-shaped beacon.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy, all the little calorie tweaks and all the "IS THIS OKAY?!??!" posts.

Some people are unsure and may need/want constant reassurance. Perhaps even why they joined a fitness site- to get advice from others.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    . It's merely a grail-shaped beacon.

I just read bacon. I'm hungry.
  • 1jlazymom
    1jlazymom Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    For me I won't complain about being sore because I figure if I'm sore I'm doing it the right way. Yes, somedays really suck but remember YOU ARE NOT A NUMBER!!!! is one thing you forgot to mention....lol. Here's to all you believe in hardwork, set backs and challenges make life interesting. I believe if you are challenged you savor the success more.:smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So I can stop avoiding looking directly at it so as not to have my face melted off?

Score!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    Options
    It drives me crazy, all the little calorie tweaks and all the "IS THIS OKAY?!??!" posts.

Some people are unsure and may need/want constant reassurance. Perhaps even why they joined a fitness site- to get advice from others.
    That's understandable in some cases, but more often then not, they come across as attention-seeking posts. Rarely I see things that might actually concern a person, like serious muscle pain or sudden depressed mood. Most of the time though, it's "I ate a piece of candy, WHAT DO I DO?" or "I lost 2.3 pounds in a week, is this going to ruin my weight loss efforts?" I simply don't believe those are genuine questions.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Shut your pie hole! It IS the Holy Grail! SideSteal told me so!!!

:sad:

:drinker: awesome.
  • mingecrackers
    Options
    THIS IS SO TRUE!
    Eat less and move more, what's so hard about that?!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    YOUDONTSAYTHAT!
  • Melodymunchkin
    Melodymunchkin Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am glad you got that off your chest lol
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    so... does it weigh more or less than a duck?

Are you sure it's not made of wood?

Burn the witch!
  • VetteRn2013
    VetteRn2013 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Right!!!! Lossing weight takes time and if you don't move something what do you expect lose?? I like to see where I've lost but whats more important to evidence is how my clothes look and feel on me! I Use Nexercise and love it!!!! If you have not tried it then look up the app! It's on fb as well!!!!
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    very true it is part of your lifestyle change NOT your life! It is a tool and it works if you use it a bit like your body!!
  • Brigskis
    Options
    Who are you guys following?? The girls I follow are all super ridiculously (inspiringly) dedicated. I don't think I've ever seen these kinds of complaints in my timeline. Maybe just unfollow those people?
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options

I read bacon too... :( LOL
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    Options
    Who are you guys following?? The girls I follow are all super ridiculously (inspiringly) dedicated. I don't think I've ever seen these kinds of complaints in my timeline. Maybe just unfollow those people?
    I don't have them as friends, but the forum is full of those kinds of posts.
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

You're not the only one - so did I! haven't had bacon in MONTHS but it doesn't bother me because I was never that fond of it.

But if you are talking cheese, now that's a different matter. Can I have a grail-shaped cheese please?

No, seriously, I have failed many times but it's either been laziness or some life event for me or close family that has made it hard for me to stay determined. Not this time though, no excuses.

And don't sweat the small stuff - yes, you may need reassurance (I look at the Success Stories most days to keep me going) but no-one ever got anywhere without some hard work along the way.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Just a couple things to spur some additional thoughts. Remember, many of the people here are new to the whole idea of exercising/working out solely for the purpose of getting exercise. Many haven't done any real exercise in decades. I think it is a shock to many of them when the soreness kicks in after those first couple workouts. It's not necessarily that they're wimps or uncommitted, they just don't know. They weren't prepared for it to hurt like that, they don't know that its normal and will get better with time (after all traditional wisdom is if it hurts then stop doing it). Many also simply don't understand what their bodies are capable of and that they can actually take on more pain and exhaustion and still push through it. They feel like they're gonna "die" but don't realize their body is perfectly capable of working through those feelings and that they can be successful.

The other thing I'll mention is that it's hard for people to see all sorts of success stories where someone lost 10-12 pounds in the first couple weeks when they are not seeing anything over that same time frame. People who are new to this do not understand that different bodies react differently. Losing weight can be such a convoluted process and as most of us know there is no one answer that works for all. So while we're all "old hat" at this and have seen the topics a bazillion times before, don't forget that for the people posting those this may be their very first experience with this concept and they don't know what to expect.

While it may get old and tiresome (and torturous) reading some of those posts, we do have the opportunity (and in my case I feel a certain responsibility) to assist someone else along this path and give back a little something.