Restaurant Shame List

Options

Replies

• homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Is there one here on MFP or anywhere else? I think we need one. I'm thinking a list of chain restaurants that should be publicly shamed (and their CEO's potentially Flogged) for their uncanny ability to take seemingly healthy foods and make them calorie laden, fat gorged dining enigmas from hell. If anyone else is interested, here's a few that I'd nominate for that list early on:

Chili's - By far the most hideous minefield of a menu. Almost all their meals are well over 1000 calories and many exceed 2000.
    California Pizza Kitchen - I think there's like two meals below 1000 calories
    Qdoba - I love Qdoba but seriously how do you turn a chicken burrito into an 1100 calorie entre

Thoughts? Do you disagree? Is this the lamest topic ever?

Totally agree that these are bad, but we all have our own choices, no one is forcing us. Chili's is the most terrible food for you and honestly if anyone gets them shutdown or to change their menu I will hunt you down and b!tch slap you. I f--king love Chili's (about once a month or every other month as a cheat). I realize it is stupid poorly cooked chain food, but it is GOOOOD. Is there any 4 better words on this planet than "bottomless chips and salsa"..... NOM NOM NOM.......
  • love9705
    love9705 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    As long as a restaurant makes some effort to post/list the calories and macros in their foods, they're A-OK in my book.

Chilis has a Margarita chicken dish that is VERY macro friendly, and tastes baller.

I agree and that is the only thing I get when i go to Chilis with water and a lemon inside.

Its up to you to decide what and how much you will put in your mouth.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    The amount of sodium in the average subway sandwich...

Isnt really terrible considering the volume and the amount of bread. I mean really it is processed lunchmeat too so...
  • aprilh0909
    aprilh0909 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The only places around here that I stay away from are Hardees and Five Guys. I'm in the mecca of bbq (my opinion anyway) and even the bbq joints can fix you up with something relatively healthy. Hardees was obviously built by a very jaded woman that wants to see all men dead by the age of 40.
    LOL re Hardees. I haven't eaten there in a decade, solely because my weakness is their curly fries (if those even still exist). Oh baby!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Well it looks like there is a gap in the market for a Healthy restaurant brand if anyone has got the skills, capital, and guts to go for it.

I was thinking the same thing. I've got the guts and the skills, but no capital. LOL :ohwell:

I read that McDonald's has a 'healthy' restaurant chain. Their pilot store (and only one so far) is in Palo Alto, CA. Lyfe? Something like that. I didn't go over their menu though to see if it's all BS.

I won't take long for tons of other places to jump on that bandwagon. It's a major demographic that is being missed.
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Ruby Tuesday. Because I ordered the Turkey Burger without the cheese and bacon and it was still 700 calories.

There is one non-chain that SHOULD be put on a shame list, but I never will because they rule and it is a treat to go there: Melt Bar and Grilled in Cleveland, OH.

They were on Man Vs. Food and Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. They have EPIC grilled cheese sandwiches. And by EPIC, I mean mothertruckin' EPIC. Huge texas toast pieces that are buttered and toasted, tons of cheese, insane toppings and fillings...I had a sandwich there called The Dude Abides which is two pieces of garlic toast with two fist-size meatballs covered in provolone and parmesan cheese AND chopped up mozzarella sticks in between. Oh, and marinara sauce. It was a b*tch trying to figure the calorie count on that beast. I could only eat half and took the rest home for lunch the next day.

I compensated by eating only fruits and light snacks through out the day...I knew what I was walking into. Haha. Melt's food is so awful for you, but so worth the experience.
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory is the WORST! Portion sizes are out of control!

At one time 35 dishes over 1000 cals
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Well it looks like there is a gap in the market for a Healthy restaurant brand if anyone has got the skills, capital, and guts to go for it.

I was thinking the same thing. I've got the guts and the skills, but no capital. LOL :ohwell:

I read that McDonald's has a 'healthy' restaurant chain. Their pilot store (and only one so far) is in Palo Alto, CA. Lyfe? Something like that. I didn't go over their menu though to see if it's all BS.

I won't take long for tons of other places to jump on that bandwagon. It's a major demographic that is being missed.

I googled them, the menu is impressive, with low calorie and relatively low sodium...

http://lyfekitchen.com/about-us.aspx

However, I think they are former McDonald executives, I don't think McDonalds actually has a hand in it.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Lucilles?? Sorry if its a repeat but their portions are made for giants and their apple butter with biscuts..to die for....literally.
  • spdoman7
    spdoman7 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Disagree...the people who CHOOSE to eat at these restaurants are get what they deserve...personal choice, personal responsibility
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I went to Panchero's yesterday with my DD (had never eaten there before) and ordered a burrito. I looked up it up on the database and the spread was from 850 calories to over 1000 so I decided to eat half and brought the rest home. Same with the regular Snapple iced tea I ordered....drank half. Did fine and even stayed under my calorie goal. Its been said so many times but MODERATION is the key.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Cora's. I think this is only in Canada and not across the whole country, either. I love the food, especially the hazelnut chocolate (re Nutella) banana crepe, but the portions are probably 3x what they need to be. They like to add stuff to the fruit-only platters and yes, you can just scrape it off. The big one for me is there is no way to get nutritional info from any Cora's EVER.
  • ladyfingers73
    ladyfingers73 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When eating out, as long as i can get a mixed greens or spinach salad with grilled chix breast(2) and dressing on the side (i don't eat it) the menu can have toxic sludge and I'd be ok with it. However, on cheat days... I'll eat anything! :bigsmile:
    As you should...;) wow...
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    hall of fame health friendly spots:

Pollo Loco: chicken breast meal with veggie side and salad 265 cals

Jack in the box: grilled chicken strips, chicken fajita pita, and even their chicken club sandwhich is decent.

Chipotle: double steak salad, hold the beans and rice and go for extra fajita veggies.

Panda: skip the fried rice and chowmein, instead go Veggies with healthier sides... I get full under 500 cals from there

I can't think of anymore
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I agree... Another really bad one is TGI Fridays!

Top on my list!

I had no idea it was that bad! I'm in the UK and we eat there maybe four times a year. I always order 'Wicked Chicken', which is chicken breast, with a hot, spicey rice, pico de gallo, corn on the cob and some kind of sauce, maybe 30ml of it. I asked them about calories and they had no idea so I've routinely put it in at 1300 and hoped that took care of it. Does anybody know that dish?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

I googled them, the menu is impressive, with low calorie and relatively low sodium...

http://lyfekitchen.com/about-us.aspx

However, I think they are former McDonald executives, I don't think McDonalds actually has a hand in it.
    This would be correct....looks like they're hoping to go nationwide. It would be nice to see that, because it should also inspire more of the same types of places

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/07/lyfe-kitchen-chicagobased_n_819682.html
  • jennla32
    jennla32 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I live in Cleveland and Melt is absurd. I will never get the hype! It's basically grilled cheese variations, making them how you would at home if you had no care at all about your health. Thick texas toast, a stick of butter, a lbs of cheese, then various other "fatty" items. People flip for the place, and I just find it gross. Don't get me wrong, I love grilled cheese, but not like that :(
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    This is shaping up to look more like a Restaurant Awesome List than a Restaurant Shame List.

The reason these restaurants are so successful is b/c they make food that people want to buy. If they started serving lots of healthy food w/o as much butter and salt they'd be out of business in a week. The restaurants are simply a reflection of the average American's preferred tastes!

It's pointless to try and eat healthy at these restaurants. So I find it best to just eat very low calorie all day long (or just fast) and then pig out at the restaurant. If I'm going to cheesecake factory, then I'll usually run 5-6 miles in addition to eating very little food up until dinner.

That's my style too. It let's me enjoy deliciousness.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    The horrendous nutritional value of restaurant food is why I never eat out! I prefer to cook at home and bring lunches to work. :noway:
  • samiamfish23
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory is the WORST! Portion sizes are out of control!

Yes but they do have a healthier menu now. I always ge the 590 calorie burger they offer. Its the right size and super yummy!