Anyone else excited about Mars?

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    You know you're a geek when....

Anyway, I'm just hoping they manage to send a life form to Mars within my lifetime!
  • portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    NO! Not the candy bar!

Curiosity Rover is set to land on Mars on Sunday and we will finally know if there is actual water in the ice caps. I'm so geeked out! I've already cleared my schedule for Sunday to watch it live!

I mean If they have ICE caps... Which we know they do, Why would we not think there would be water in them? Would we think the ice caps are made out of something else? Like Alcohol or something?
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yup me too! My husband is an Astronomer and will be at a NASA conference at Langley on Friday. I'm sure we can watch it online. :D
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It is exciting, but if you want to get people on here interested mention Martian gravity is 38% of Earth’s so they would 'weigh' less there.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Didn't even know that was happening.

Me either! If I had cable, I'd watch it.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Not as excited about it as you are (mainly because I'm not excited for my homegirl Claressa Shields getting her gold medal on Monday) but I definitely am looking forward to seeing about the possibilities.

But I'm not too hopefuly sadly. They have on multiple occassions ruled out possibilities of humans living there and they have found traces of water which is fun enough I guess
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options

Only thing on my radar for Sunday is the 1st NFL preseason game.

^^^ That's what I'm talking about! It's beginning to be my favorite time of year again :drinker:
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    ok....news flash........................

if you have an xbox360 and xbox live....you can watch the landing on there on sunday night...there is even a countdown on the dashboard!!

son now even more excited has set his phone to count down lol

martyx
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    ooooo I have xbox live!!!

I thought that it was too cold to sustain life on mars? At least for now...

http://news.cnet.com/Was-Mars-too-cold-to-sustain-life/2100-1008_3-5803911.html
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    NO! Not the candy bar!

Curiosity Rover is set to land on Mars on Sunday and we will finally know if there is actual water in the ice caps. I'm so geeked out! I've already cleared my schedule for Sunday to watch it live!

I mean If they have ICE caps... Which we know they do, Why would we not think there would be water in them? Would we think the ice caps are made out of something else? Like Alcohol or something?
    Just wiki-ed it.
    "Earth's polar ice caps are mainly water ice, while Mars's polar ice caps are a mixture of solid phase carbon dioxide and water ice."

Awesome though, thanks OP, will definitely watch =) I too am obsessed with astronomy and the universe!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    So bad that the first thing I thought of when I saw Mars was the candy company...that is just so sad
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    ok....news flash........................

if you have an xbox360 and xbox live....you can watch the landing on there on sunday night...there is even a countdown on the dashboard!!

son now even more excited has set his phone to count down lol

martyx

Thank you! I was coming back to say if you have an Xbox they have it on there. If you do, watch 7 minutes! Very cool!

Also, I'm sure you can watch it live on the Nasa website.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. I had seen it mentioned elsewhere, but it slipped my mind.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    oh! And Friday

To join and track the conversation online during the NASA Socials, follow the hashtag #NASASocial. Use and reference the #MSL hashtag for mission updates. NASA will be taking questions from social media users during select news briefings and other televised news events using the hashtag #askNASA.
  • portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    NO! Not the candy bar!

Just wiki-ed it.
    "Earth's polar ice caps are mainly water ice, while Mars's polar ice caps are a mixture of solid phase carbon dioxide and water ice."

Awesome though, thanks OP, will definitely watch =) I too am obsessed with astronomy and the universe!

Did not know that^^ interesting bit of information! Sounds like we need to start the greenhouse effect over there... Isnt that where they like put a green house on the planet and sort of build an atmosphere that way?
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    NO! Not the candy bar!

I volunteer to go to Mars if this is the case...
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    our 12 year old son is hyper about it...they have run a series on bbc2 he has been watching.

he wants to study geology and then join the RAF so he can be on the first manned mission!!

martyx

That's pretty awesome :D I'm looking forward to seeing what they find. That will be awesome if one day we can create a colony on Mars!
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    NO! Not the candy bar!

I did think the candy bar at first!

Thanks for the info! That is pretty cool!
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Only thing on my radar for Sunday is the 1st NFL preseason game.

:drinker:
  • ClammyCupcake
    ClammyCupcake Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What time is this coming on, and what channel?