Most embarrassing "fat" moment....

Options

Replies

• KristiBell1
    KristiBell1 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    A customer at my work asked me what happen to you? You used to be so skinny. Most recently a guy I know came up to me and said "Girl, you sure have put on a lot weight!" Seriously what makes people say things like that.
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    How awful! Sooo sorry you had to go experience that. Really, that is awful. . I think it's time to tell them if they can't say something nice, please don't say anything at all. You need some good loving encouragement. Is there any way you can spend less time with them. that is just not acceptable. I find myself lonely and sad alot because I have finally decided I am not going to take unacceptable behavor any more. I am a christian and have been praying about this. I will keep you in my prayers. Love to you, Joni:flowerforyou:
  • alexp74
    alexp74 Posts: 125
    Options
    Broke a plastic chair at my wife's cousin's graduation. The cousin was away at school and I only met her a few times, I'm sitting in the living room in a suit for the graduation ceremony, and pop, there goes the chair in front of family and the cousin's roomates and families. Yeah

Last time was a year and a half ago, different cousin (sister to the first) house, I'm in a wooden kitchen chair and that one snapped too. Cousin's husband admits to me after the fact that he had to glue it because he broke it one day. He's about 180 pounds, I was closer to 340 at the time.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    One of the most embarrassing moments I had was when I was returning to my home after a long day at work and suddenly a man plays the horn in his car, I automatically looked out of curiosity and when this guy saw that I looked he shouted loudly "you think I would horn for someone so fat and ugly as you?!". I was not feeling well that day and it made me feel even worse.

Another embarrassing moment was that all the guys I go out, or flirted with me as a way to make a joke to his friends later, or did not want other people to know that we were going out together, because he was afraid of what other people could think of him.

But the most embarrassing moment I ever suffered was when I was at my aunt's house, along with the entire family. All of my family always commented on how I always was fat and I had to learn the cause of the impression that I never cared about it. But this particular day, my cousins ​​thought I was not paying attention to them and began to laugh about how they thought I was ugly and fat. It left me very hurt, because one thing is you hear it from someone who does not know you, is quite another thing to hear these same comments coming from your own family. They already did that in front of me, they still had to do this sort of thing behind my back. I was very hurt by it then and I still get when I remember that day.

How incredibly awful! I am so sorry you went through that!
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Shopping tor a wedding dress I had my heart set on a mermaid style gown. When I asked to try one on the sales lady told me that wasn't the best style for someone my size.
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've never really had any ultra embarrassing fat moments. At least none that stick out in my head. I did do something awful once, though; in my 5th grade Halloween party, one of my female classmates dressed up as an Englishman (the top hat and monocle look), and I asked her... OMG... I asked her, "What are you supposed to be? A fat man?" Stupidly, I thought she was wearing stomach padding or something. She glared hard at me, and I realized my mistake and just walked away. Keep in mind, I was only about 10!

Ok, I hear you that you're very remorsful about this, but my question as a kid who was teased (not for being overweight, but for other "crimes against childhood" lol) - and as someone who is now raising 4 kids, HOW do I build a sensitivity into my children so they don't say something like this someday?? I can see that you were young, but there's lots of young kids that somehow get not to say it - is it parenting?? Any thoughts??
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Deanna, I am curious too.

My son (when he was 4yo) was in the shoe store with me. We had an employee approach us and ask if we needed any help and my son blureted out (in his best deep manly voice) "she got a big ol'belly" as he rubbed his own. I was mortified. The employee (whom I could see was hurt by this) walked away. I looked for her so I could apologize on my son's behalf (again, he was 4) but I could not find her. I quickly left after that. I wasn't sure what to do/say except that it wasn't nice and we don't talk about people and how they are different b/c it might hurt their feelings.

He is 5 now and has done much better but I still remind him before getting out of our car that he is to have nice words only and that all people are different. I also remind him this when I see something that is not "normal" in the eyes of a child that has not been exposed to it (like my friend's husband - he only has one arm and I explained to my children before seeing him that he did only have one arm and that it's not ok to ask a bunch of questions, etc).

I try to get them to think in the other person's shoes. I think it helps to talk about differences openly and often, and eventually it will all become normal and not so unique or intriging.

I am curious how others handle this, too.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    A guy asked me when I was due and I was mortified to say I wasn't pregnant. I thought he'd be embarassed and change the subject but nooooo, he carried on about my size and how he assumed I was having another baby. OMG! Shut up already.
  • ashleymichelle06
    ashleymichelle06 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My Dad and two of the step-fathers that I've had growing up were always so mean about my weight. They wouldn't allow me to eat as much as my younger siblings and if I asked for more I was yelled at for being fat and asking for more.

I went through a lot of bullying growing up and I never had a boyfriend until I was almost done with HS. That relationship only lasted 2 weeks because I wouldn't put out on prom night. One guy I dated when I was about 19-20 told me that he loved me and would ask me to marry him if I wasn't so overweight. Right after that is when I ended up in an abusive relationship with my daughter's father. I feel like the comments made by that one person impacted my life so greatly, and yet he was such a small blip on the radar truthfully.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    When I went to China to visit the great wall, a female vendor yelled loudly to me that she had shirts for fat Americans and held up the biggest shirt I've ever seen in my life, it must've been at least a 6x and I wore a 1x, maybe 2x at the time.
  • whitterbugCo
    Options
    Bump
  • fIashforward
    fIashforward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Nothing really major, but loads of little things over the years.

Gotta say, I really loved that episode where the former fat girl killed the people who had made fun of her. Not that id kill anyone lol
  • rio66
    rio66 Posts: 49
    Options
    This was about 2 years ago....Shopping on Phi Phi Island, Thailand, with my mum and I got asked by the Thai shop assistant "You have baby? You have baby in there?" while rubbing her belly with her hand. Embarrassing. I took it in my stride and laughed it off as I know people from that culture don't understand the sensitivities we harbour. And she wasn't being malicious, she actually asked a genuine question, which kind of made it worse :embarassed:
  • Momto32010
    Momto32010 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was never overweight as a child, but I when I was in fourth grade I had a VERY thin best friend who told me I had thunder thighs...it stuck, and I know it is ridiculous, but I have never been happy with my thighs.
  • Lizzyhwhearts
    Lizzyhwhearts Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK and the Les Mis film is coming out over here so the tv is full of previews. It brought up a long hurried memory,

When I was 7 I was obsessed with Les Mis (my mum and dad had gone to see the musical in the theatre as the production would go on tour every couple of years and visit our home town for a week or so.) my parents had brought back the sound track and I would play it over and over, singing along using words I didn't understand let alone say properly. I always dreamed of playing Cossette the young girl in the musical. Due to child labour laws here in the uk the production would have to have a 'bank' of girls ready to play Cossette in different shows in the week.
    I practiced and practiced for nearly 2 years when my dad told me that there was an ad in the paper asking for girls to apply for audition for cossettes part. So with the kareoke machine my dad had bought me to support me with I put on a 'show' for my whole family singing the song from les Mis I hoped one day I'd get to sing on stage. After I finished my family clapped and my mom just looked at me and said
    'sweetheart, I don't think you should audition'
    When I questioned why she replies
    'you're too fat'

Well I guess if you tell someone that they are something enough times, eventually that's what they become.
  • sundog10
    sundog10 Posts: 1,385 Member
    Options
    my mom, at Newark Airport after I was visiting from moving to Seattle. I was about 25. The thing is I had tried to lose a few pounds before this and was feeling good and thought I looked good. I was wearing a cute denim skirt and tucked in shirt. When i walked off the plane (days when you could walk anywhere in an airport) she looked at me and said in a very Loud voice "Oh my, You got so chunky.!!) I vowed I would never fly home sober again. and I kept that promise for a lot of years; lol

Although my mom loved me a lot I am sure, she was obsessed with weight; she was very skinny and had to eat to keep her weight up. I was short and in high school was about 15 pounds over, although now I think I probably was just at a healthy weight. She dragged me to diet doctor who put me on speed and i lost those pounds, no problem; I barely could eat or sleep. After the pills I had to starve myself to keep the weight off and (this was before eating disorders) and actually lost another ten pounds; I weighed 90 pounds at 4'11' She thought I looked so good; but the minute I started eating, the weight of course came back on. At 95 pounds I remember she said to me 'If you were taller you could carry the extra weight" Ouch, I battled with a self image and alcohol for a long time until I gave up booze and took up running and started to like me.

But yeah, people don' realize how hurting some things said can be.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have no one real stand out moment that haunts me. It was my entire life. I've always been the fat kid. Picked on by almost every single person in my class. Even my husband, tho he doesn't mean to has used it on occasion when he could think of nothing else, and we were fighting. It's just always been there. I've always been the fat one in every situation. I don't know if I will ever get rid of that way of thinking. Even if I make it to goal, and that kind of scares me.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    When a student of mine kept talking about when my little one was due, and I wasn't pregnant. I didn't even correct him I was so embarrassed. Took me another year at least to change, though.
  • Koorii
    Koorii Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was living with my friend out in Seattle for a little while. We both really like mountains, so the obvious choice is to go up to Mt. Rainier for a day. We weren't going to climb or anything, just hike and whatnot. We got half a mile in and I couldn't go any further. It was embarrassing as hell. We went back down to the inn and had some beverages and enjoyed the view. It was nice, I guess.

Next time I'm going to enjoy the view, from the top of the freaking mountain!
  • graveflower316
    graveflower316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    At my largest, I heard a lot of the fat jokes, which really didn't bother me too much. At my smallest, where I was within my weight range for my height, was when I felt the most embarrassment actually. I was told to stop eating certain foods by a significant other (at that time...no longer) because he didn't want me to get back to the way I was. That was embarrassing and very hurtful.