Help...I keep giving up.

Options
I am having a hard time trying to get on track and stay that way for more than a few hours. I lost 20 lbs last year and felt great and i want to feel that way again but I give up within a couple of hours. I give up dieting every couple of hours with excuses.... any ideas on how to keep the motivation to stay on track? I haven't even made it a full day without throwing in the towel.

Replies

• sheilafeys
    Options
    Wow, I'm new too, and I feel exactly the same way as you. I start of thinking, "yes, I'm going to do this and get in shape" and then ten minutes later I'm convincing myself I look fine the way I am. I'm as interested in you to see what people have to say!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time trying to get on track and stay that way for more than a few hours. I lost 20 lbs last year and felt great and i want to feel that way again but I give up within a couple of hours. I give up dieting every couple of hours with excuses.... any ideas on how to keep the motivation to stay on track? I haven't even made it a full day without throwing in the towel.

There is nothing anyone can say this has to be your decision as to what you want. You have to want it, you have to be determined there is no other way....reach inside yourself and find what your looking for to get where you want to be.

Your the only person who can make this change it's up to you to find the strength to do it.
  • juliecollins813
    Options
    I know your right... I have to find the strength but I wonder because it has been so hard maybe it's not the time. When I lost the weight before I was totally motivated and excited. Now I know I need to and I want to but i don't want to put in the effort. I have a lot of stress with work ... should I stop stressing myself more about weight loss until things ease up? On the other hand I know losing some weight and exercise would help to release some work stress. I think I answered my own question.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Seriously? A couple hours? Sounds like it's just not that important to you.

If it was, you wouldn't think about it as dieting - that's temporary. It has to be a lifestyle change - something you can maintain, and keep the weight off.

The motivation has to come from within - you can't rely on others for your happiness, and you can't rely on others for motivation. Other people that you're relying on for these things won't always be there to support you. You have to do it yourself.

Not being rude or mean, just honest. We make time for and commit to the things that are important to us..... i.e. getting a paycheck is important, so you may hate your job but you don't go in for two hours and then not want to be there anymore so you go home.... It just doesn't work like that.

If you're not willing to put in the work - don't expect the results.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Find good foods that you enjoy... there are plenty of foods out there that taste wonderful with not so many fat and calories. Also, find an exercise that you enjoy. If you don't like it, you will give up. I do a variety of things like kickboxing, zumba, walking, jogging, boot camp, cycling.. the list goes on. If you do something you enjoy you will probably want to continue.

Also, its your choice.. you either want it or you don't. I have been struggling too.. I think at some point we all do :) Good luck!
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Motivation really seems to come and go. The test is if you can force yourself to keep going in an unmotivated phase. I read somewhere that "discipline is doing what you know needs to be done even if you don't want to do it". You'll find no greater weight loss truth than that one.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Until you find your motivation, that's probably going to be how it goes. That's been my experience for a decade... when depression rolled into town, whatever motivation I had would disappear, and I'd be back to square one (or worse). Some people preach the "fake it til you make it" mentality, but it never worked for me.

Have you talked to a doctor? There are certain chemical imbalances that can make you feel that way, and taking the right vitamin or prescription can be helpful for some people. In my case, taking Vitamin D every day seems to be a huge help in keeping me feeling "up", particularly in the winter months.

At some point, you'll find a reason to change that sticks with you, and keeps you focused even through your low points.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I know your right... I have to find the strength but I wonder because it has been so hard maybe it's not the time. When I lost the weight before I was totally motivated and excited. Now I know I need to and I want to but i don't want to put in the effort. I have a lot of stress with work ... should I stop stressing myself more about weight loss until things ease up? On the other hand I know losing some weight and exercise would help to release some work stress. I think I answered my own question.

LoL You pretty much did answer it, going to the gym/working out has been proven to help relieve stress and anxiety. You could do little things at work like take the stairs instead of the elevator ? at first start just taking the stairs down ( allot easier ) little changes can make a big difference.

You could also just start with changing up 1 meal to something healthy then move on to two meals ect ect. Maybe this way you wont feel so trapped by fallowing a strict diet kind of thing. I'd also suggest making a lifestyle change instead of fallowing some stupid fad diet. Take all the good parts/ ideas from the fad diets and make your own meal plans.
  • AliciaCharmaine
    Options
    I have purchased a dress that I cannot fit and hung it up front and center in my closet and it serves as a reminder of my goal. Maybe you could take a picture of your dream outfit and keep it in sight.
  • ADG3108
    ADG3108 Posts: 1
    Options
    I get a motivational quote... like... "Think Progress. NOT Perfection!" Find a picture of yourself where you were happiest too! It's great motivation and helps you see that YOU can do that. Not feeling like crap by looking at some model who is borderline anorexic.

GOOD LUCK!
  • jaj68
    jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    it is all about mind set. How determined are you? How much do you want this?
    Around my computer, I have sticky notes. One is the date of my son's upcoming marriage. Another says "smile" because I hate getting my picture taken. Another says......"sore knees, sore feet" All of these sticky notes encourage. Maybe you could put some on your fridge.
    And......next time you grocery shop.....don't buy those foods that are unhealthy. One huge motivation for me is a tv show that is on Sunday nights....not sure if I can mention the name....but it is a really good way for me to stay on track. It is the journey of one person losing half of their body weight. I love this show......and seeing the struggles and choices another person makes...really helps me stay on track.
    It all boils down to.....how badly do you want to lose weight, and why do you want to lose. Then as you stare at that brownie, or cookie......or bowl of chips.......think to yourself....do I REALLY want them? And you are going to eat things...then feel guilty. So don't let a moment of temptation ruin your day. Just make sure you only indulge that one time.....and don't eat any more of it for the rest of the day.
    Good luck to you.
  • kattbyrd67
    kattbyrd67 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Don't go on a diet! Diets are doomed to fail, because they are temporary changes. Make small life style changes that you live with long term. Don't make any food off limits; just watch your portion sizes and your calories. Try to move more, even it that only means walking to the mail box right now. As you lose weight and become stronger, increase your exercise. You can do this!
  • TimmDogg
    Options
    Yeah, u did answer your own question. My best suggestion is to plan ahead for a "cheat" meal/snack. If once a week is too tough, start with every other day, then every two days etc. Also don't look at it as a diet. that makes it seem temporary. Like once you hit your goal you aren't worried about gaining the weight you lost back. It is a "change in lifestyle" that will keep you healthy the rest of your life.
  • juliecollins813
    Options
    I appreciate your honesty. I realize that it sounds like I am not invested in losing weight and I think that has been my main problem. I think what I have been lacking is a plan of action.
  • jaj68
    jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    your great plan of action is that you are here asking questions.

It shows you want to make a change....that was the first step.
    Document all your food and exercise here.......boy when you start writing down every morsel of food that passes your lips you start rethinking what you are putting in it.

Make small goals.....like....I will go for a walk after dinner three times this week....or I will ride the exercise bike for 15 min. Hopefully soon, you will walk four times a week....or ride that bike for an hour.
  • bellorum
    Options
    This is just my suggestions...
    For me, I got a coach that I was accountable to. It was a free telephone coaching service offered to me, so I took advantage of it.
    What we did, was we set goals for every week. They were SMALL goals, but each one has added up to a bigger one.
    Then, I got rid of all of the junk food in my house. How? Well, that was easy, cause my wife took the kids on vacation for a few weeks... They took it all with them, and I went shopping for healthy food. EVERY ITEM that I bought, was focused. I look at it and say, "how can I turn this into something delicious and healthy?".

I made it fun too. When I make a dish that looks awesome, and tastes delicious, I feel GREAT. It's like being a home chef, lol. And when those dishes are healthy... I can't emphasize enough how good that has made me feel. Doing this, and increasing my activity, allowed me to lose 5lbs last week.

The last thing I have to say is exercise... You don't have to throw weights around, or go for walks or whatever. MAKE IT FUN! I ride my bike to work, which burns a TON of calories, and I love it. It's very rewarding. Also, I went for a run the other day (BOORING!), but when I saw trees in the distance, I ran to them, found a trail, and had a little adventure. I listen to music when I run, which gives me a beat to run to, and when I have some good scenery, it's just an overall enjoyable experience... But trust me, tennis players are fit for a reason! lol.

Hope this helps. :D
  • kms1104
    kms1104 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I started tracking my food on here for MONTHS before I took it super seriously. I considered it EDUCATION... learning how much calories some things really are, etc.

Then over the summer (I'm a teacher), I have had time to exercise more, etc. When I can actually SEE how many "more" calories I get by exercising, it motivates me. Then, I can't even eat them all because I've been doing this for a month now, and I'm FULL.

Also, think of ways to make what you love healthier. I am about HEALTH not the number on the scale. I refuse to deny what I like. So, I make a cheeseburger at home, even when my boyfriend put TWO pieces of cheese on them last night, they were still healthier than the 1000 calories that some dining out burgers are. Then there was a night I wanted pizza. I have NO self control when there's a whole pizza here if I'm eating without the boyfriend, so I made two Red Baron French bread pizzas instead... YUMMY, had TWO, still under my calorie goal and I'm stuffed.

I am one who believes in baby steps are the key. Changing all at once is no good. I started eating a little healthier in March... exercising a little by end of April, exercising MORE in June and now doing both well enough to lose a few pounds and still be happy, then of course the smaller numbers keep me motivated :)
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I am new too and hoping to hang on to my new found motivation but I definitely know what you mean! My weight has been up and down over the years and the main thing I tell myself for motivation these last couple of weeks is "You are better than this!"

Also,l it helps to remind myself WHY I'm trying to do this in the first place because at the times it seems especially hard, it's easy to just throw in the towel. Maybe looking at your reasons for wanting it in the first place would help.

For example, I love to hike and I would like to be able to do challenging hikes without gasping for breath and having pain in my hips and knees which is related to my weight. When an old friend I haven't seen since my skinny years lets me know they'll be in town and want to meet for dinner, I'd like to be able to say "YES" without any hesitation due to embarrassment about the way I look. I want more energy, less joint pain, and better numbers at the doctor.

This is what I think about when my motivation fails. Sometimes friends and relatives can harm my motivation because they like to say "you are beautiful just the way you are." It's sweet and all but I feel that it's BECAUSE of healthy self-esteem that I can look at my body and look at what I've done to it with my lack of self-control and say, I CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    let's see. you have several options.

do nothing.
    be fat and miserable.
    change your life.
    get healthy.
    eat well.

i'm surprised it only takes you hours to get discouraged.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Come back when you are ready!

The bottom hurts and youll know when you hit it!