Help...I keep giving up.

Options
2»

Replies

• ellenjean19
    Options
    take baby steps. its been helping me alot, when i first started i was the same way, convincing myself im okay the way i am. But im not happy with myself. start by cutting out fast food. or pop. or both. i have pictures of myself when i was thinner and happir and its such an inspiration. every time i look at them i think to myself i want to be that girl again.

Also, if youre stressing about work, going to the gym really helps! I have a stressful job too and i've found that on days i go to the gym after work im a lot happier and more energized.
  • codak626
    codak626 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My advice is take it slow. Don't try to change everything at once. Take small steps. Change one thing and make it stick. For me it was Dr Pepper. Without changing anything else I stopped drinking soda and 7 lbs in about 2 months. Once that happened I was like WOW. Then I started seriously watching my sugar and processed foods. Went more to whole grains etc. I'm still not going at it 100% but I'm reading more food labels, thinking more about what I eat, and hopefully I will eventually get gung ho 100%.
  • juliecollins813
    Options
    Thank you everyone for you input. I think I have hit my bottom by today and it's now time to put together my action plan. I just talked with my husband and we are going to sit down Saturday to put together a healthy grocery list, clean out our cupboards, and renew my gym membership. I have lost before, I can do it again this time I plan to keep it off. Again thank you for the help whether you offered positive encouragement or just blunt honesty, something clicked. I'll let you know how tomorrow goes.
  • samaria26
    Options
    You can do it! You sound a lot like me. This is not my first rodeo on My Fitness Pal. I think that I have been on here off and on about three times. I tried several other weight loss tools like Fit Click, SparkPeople, FitDay etc. but after a while, I got tired (and quite bored) with logging everything. So to make things simple, I just stopped and quit doing the food/exercise journals. I quit working out. I quit taking my necessary meds. I quit monitoring my glucose and guess what...I went to a health fair a couple of weeks ago and ALL of my levels were beyond normal. The weight that I lost, I gained it back plus more. My glucose was creeping above the 152 range. My blood pressure.....well let's not discuss that.:embarassed:

Anyway, just hang in there and remember, you can ALWAYS start fresh on the next day!!!! "There's Always Tomorrow For Dreams To Come True" sanged oh so sweetly by Clarice, Rudolphs love interest on Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer.....how I still love that movie.....:blushing:
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    I started tracking my food on here for MONTHS before I took it super seriously. I considered it EDUCATION... learning how much calories some things really are, etc.

Then over the summer (I'm a teacher), I have had time to exercise more, etc. When I can actually SEE how many "more" calories I get by exercising, it motivates me. Then, I can't even eat them all because I've been doing this for a month now, and I'm FULL.

Also, think of ways to make what you love healthier. I am about HEALTH not the number on the scale. I refuse to deny what I like. So, I make a cheeseburger at home, even when my boyfriend put TWO pieces of cheese on them last night, they were still healthier than the 1000 calories that some dining out burgers are. Then there was a night I wanted pizza. I have NO self control when there's a whole pizza here if I'm eating without the boyfriend, so I made two Red Baron French bread pizzas instead... YUMMY, had TWO, still under my calorie goal and I'm stuffed.

I am one who believes in baby steps are the key. Changing all at once is no good. I started eating a little healthier in March... exercising a little by end of April, exercising MORE in June and now doing both well enough to lose a few pounds and still be happy, then of course the smaller numbers keep me motivated :)

This is all pretty spot-on advice. Just spend some time eating as you would normally, and log it all. everything. juice, veggies, lard, whatever. log it all. And log it publicly. Ignore the goals MFP sets for a week or so and just take a look at the choices you make, and try and think about the situations you were eating in when you made the worst choices. Do you eat stress? Is that fast food habit a result of not planning well for dinner, or not feeling confident enough in your cooking skills? How big is the "junk" budget on your grocery bill? I've found i have a much easier time eating better now that i know what makes me "screw up" the worst, and those personal lessons wouldn't have sunk in without a record of what i was doing to myself.

It seems a lot of people on here are only saying that you have to want it. They may not understand that some people's attitudes about food and eating are much more complicated than just sating hunger.
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    I think a few others have said it, but you have to want to do it. I know when I try to do something I'm not really committed to it never works out, and there is nothing, and I mean nothing, anyone can tell me to change my mind.

I stayed comfortable at the weight I was for eight years. Then the high blood pressure came. Then the sciatica came. Then the bone pain came. I also have scoliosis, and that was getting worse because of being overweight. I was a shut-in during the summer because I would burst into a sweat just walking to the car. I was fine with the way I looked; that has never been a problem. In fact, I was the happiest I have ever been at my highest weight. If I were to use looks as motivation I would have never lost the weight. I am also an active person at heart. When your true self is trapped in a body that will not cooperate it can be depressing.

Find your motivation. If it's looks, use it. If it's your health, use it. And if you're happiest at the weight you are, that's fine too. However, if your health is being affected by your weight, mentally or physically, then you should make an effort to change it. Life is too short.
  • tdfowler12
    Options
    Dont give up I too am new to the site and have only recently started dieting. I have over a 100 pound I need to loose and have only lost 10 pounds. But I am going to do it we all can we just have to change our life style.
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    No more diets. Thats something you have a start and stop date for. You stop and the weight comes back on with a vengence. The best thing, as someone else has mentioned is to make a permanent lifestyle change.

If its the movement thats hard to do and stick with, then its your heart and head that need to change tactics.
    Find ways to improve motivation by being able to see your goals. This is where you need to get a little arty :) Get a poster sized piece of paper/cardboard and write up your goals, for weight loss do it in stages so you can 'tick off' when they've been achieved and this is really encouraging to actually see it. Have 5kgs/10kgs/15kgs etc, what ever suits. Have other pictures or photos of yourself when you were most happiest phyisically or even pics of other physiques you like and want to achieve. Sports women/gym instructors etc, there are plenty of women out there with really great physiques that we can aim for. Put all your goals up there, if its a holiday, put a pic of the destination, put an amount up for a specific money savings goal (along with small goals like the weight). A career, a study path and car you want to get. Put them all up so you can see them every day. In your bedroom/dining/kitchen, where ever you are able to see it daily. In the very centre write up a motivating personal mantra. I just want to give an example so mine is: "I am a strong, independent and beautiful woman". Hey at first I didn't truly believe it myself. as I said it out loud it grew on me and now I can say it with a wink and a smile in the mirror. It is so empowering mate! truly. Your words work both ways, saying to yourself all the time, I'm failing, I'm not gonna do this, I cant lose weight - well you will believe it soon enough. Change those words to positive directive ones - I can lose weight, I will do this, I'm gonna get what I bloody well want and do it starting now!

You are what you eat

You are what you think :)

If its the food you struggle with, up the movement.
    You really need to look at your calourie/food 'input' and your calourie/fitness 'output'. Its simple mathmatics. If your calourie intake with foods is 8000 kjs/1904 cals, then the physical output needs to be equal to stay the same weight or more if you want to lose weight. (Pretty much, not 100% exact of course). If your daily intake on MFP is (for example) 1300 cals/5460 kjs, then you need to burn up a decent whack of cals to make it work for big weight loss. If your cal intake works out to be 2000cals or 3000 cals with the food choices you make, then you would have to run a marathon daily to break even and lose weight. Just understand that part.

I had a 1260 cal intake to start with and was able to do a bike ride for over an hour and kicked *kitten* doing 1000 cal burn! Thats when my weight loss kicked into over drive. The times i am not moving, like now after injuring myself ice skating, I am not losing due to lack of exercise but also, I am not gaining either due to watching the meal size and what my 'full feeling' really is.

The motivation will build with starting with some goals and taking steps daily. You will have down days, you will have days that are out. Dont let them get to you. Get over them and tell yourself to do just that. If you are focusing on the few hours of not following a diet or food routine, then it truly isn't do-able. You are setting yourself up to fail from the start as by now, you know how well you stick with things so far, you know how much motivation you give yourself or how much effort you push yourself to put in. So find some goals, get them written down to become visual and its almost like you've got 'someone' to answer to. This someone is yourself through something as simple as a piece of paper up in your room. I hope this helps. You do have to put in more effort now. Just know that you can of course. being on MFP means you are wanting to achieve something for yourself, just have to find the best way to do it. Good luck. Start today

If none of this works, then you need to take a self assessment to look at what and why you aren't able to stick with things. Has it always been this way through life. Has it always felt like a struggle. Then an easy way of doing things to lose weight really isn't going to work is it? You need to kick yourself up a gear and throw yourself into a new mental mode that wants to achieve goals. Look at motivation and procrastination books for further info. I hope you find your way matey.