Okay... be brutal!

Options
13»

Replies

• Katalyst77
    Options
    I've gotta agree that those exercise calorie numbers are highly suspect. I spent 75 minutes at the gym the other night and didn't break 600 calories between running and lifting. Don't believe the ellipticals!

Well sir... you weigh like half what I do :tongue: so I guess it would burn more calories for me to haul my butt around wouldnt it :wink: ? I am still skeptical though... so I try to minimize what I claim...
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think the estimates might be a little high on the burns. Also, If you did all that 125 mins of working out in one day, I can assure you that you burn in your second hour was not even close to the first hour, due to overworking your body. Unless you are an elite athlete that is.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    There is a ton of herp a derp going on in this thread.

This is a good way to allocate your calories.

First start with protein. Try for .8 to 1 gram per lb of lean body mass

Then on to fats. .4 to .5 grams per lb of lean body mass should be enough.

As for carbs you use them to fill in the left over calories.

Here is a link if you would like to read it yourself.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981&page=1
  • Katalyst77
    Options
    I think the estimates might be a little high on the burns. Also, If you did all that 125 mins of working out in one day, I can assure you that you burn in your second hour was not even close to the first hour, due to overworking your body. Unless you are an elite athlete that is.

Well, an elite athelete I am not! But a strong swimmer I am! I really dont feel like I am overworking my body and I try to vary the kinds of exercise that I am getting (however swimming is my favorite)... but I can imagine that the calorie burn would probably be less the second hour for sure. I dont really know the best way to calculate calories then. I try to always underestimate what I am doing... I am thinking about getting the fitbit. Anybody have one? OR another way of calculating calories burned?
  • mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their opinion and we have to do what's right for ourselves. If you prefer to eat natural then butter is a good choice you just have to budget for it. A big difference for me was to eat more for breakfast as it helps fuel me through the day. I keep it simple a cup of Kashi go lean crunch mixed with a container of chobani Greek yogurt. We all have times that we cant eat our best so logging before eating helps. I don't trust mfp for calories burned. I cut the number in half if I don't have another way to judge. I lose a pound a week like I am set up to do.
  • Katalyst77
    Options

You know what they say...in every ton of herp a derp there is a kernal of truth... lol
    Ummm...how can I tell if I have any lean body mass...? my fingers and toes are pretty lean but I dont expect that they weigh much. The rest of my lean is covered with squish...
  • lisanorman6
    lisanorman6 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Okay, first of all....way to go that you put yourself out there for feed back. WTG on losing weight. WTG on being so motivated. This is a lifestyle change afterall and it appears that you're invested in making that happen. For that, I applaud you!

I agree with the majority of what people have said - cut your sodium back, drink more water, up your protein by a considerable amount and eat more "naturally" with less processed foods. Instead of repeating all that, I thought I'd share some things that have been working very well for me.

1. Breakfast - reach for higher protein things like eggs, lean ham, nuts. I see you like bread (me too). Instead of a light bread, try a true whole wheat/nutty bread. I like Killer Dave's or a local bakery that makes wheat bread that's amazing. The whole grains will last longer for you. Someone once suggested to me that when I consume carbs, make sure to have protein along with it as it aids in absorbtion and digestion.

2. Snacks - I often will prep snack bags that contain veggies, fruit, or nuts. When I'm in a hurry, I just grab a bag and go. I also keep almonds in my car. I can't tell you how many times that's saved my butt - and the people around me. I'm a raging turd when I'm hungry.

3. I swear by protein shakes. Not the meal-replacement processed crap. There is a brand at Costco that has 30 grams of protein and only 1 gram of sugar. You can also make your own. I do a green smoothie with fresh spinach, fresh fruit, and a vanilla protein powder. 212 calories and 20 g's of protein. They're amazing. And this is coming from a girl who used to live on donuts. :)

4.Eat protein within 30 minutes of a workout. This aids in new muscle development and muscle recovery.

5. Other "drinks" like iced tea or coffee don't count for water intake.
    6. I had to really make the investment in cooking. As a single Mom to a handicapped child, time is pretty precious for me. I got in the habit of making things that were quick and easy, yet lacked nutrition. Or I opted for prepacked meals. Big mistake. I started surfing the web, reading Health magazines that included recipe's. I comitted to trying 2 new recipe's a week. I can't even begin to tell you what a difference this has made. Often on a Sunday afternoon, I will prep a few meals so that they're ready to pop in the oven or grill.

7. I had to cut down on sweets in a major way. I wanted to cry. But, I've found a lot of great lower fat items that rock. Healthy Choice Fudge Bars (I get them at Costco) are only 100 cals for a HUGE bar. Skinny Cow stuff. WW desserts - dark chocolate covered raspberry sorbet. It's a flavor party in your mouth!

So, those are just my fat-girl thoughts....
    Best of luck!
  • Squirrely_Girl
    Options
    I had calorie burns like that when I was busting my butt at 292 lbs as well. For the amount of activity you are doing (several hours a day) I would say you are probably in the ball park. It seems like you are doing a really great job with exercise so your focus should be your diet. The foods you are eating aren't really supporting your body for the exercise you are putting in. Start slow and try to cut out one processed meal at a time until you are eating mostly whole foods and I bet you will see a great loss. It might not be as fast as you want it to be, but to be honest a healthy body should be your goal, not the rate of loss. If it takes you 5 years to get there, that is fine, as long as you are treating your body well in the process.

I see a lot of mentions here of eliminate butter, use light sprays instead. I don't agree with this. Moderation is a wonderful tool. You satisfy cravings so you don't end up binging. If you deprive yourself of all things you love there is a lesser probability of sticking to it. And you are right..there are tons of chemicals in those low fat and fat free options (most of them).

Best quote I have heard in a long time: " We are no longer eating food but eating food like products"- Dr. Alejandro Junger

Cut out the food like products = change your life :)
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I would disagree with some of the statements of "eliminate this" or "do that." A thin person doesn't completely eliminate those things so if you like butter, for example, it is your choice if you want to use it. I would encourage you to reduce the amount of refined sugary things.

I too would encourage you to reduce the number of processed foods (ie ...eating out and lean cuisines). It seems like a trap because they so conveniently tell you how many calories are in them. I find I can eat a lot more food, it tastes better, and I have more energy from the nutrients when I cook. I don't always have time to cook every meal, but you can learn to cook more and rotate what you are eating so you don't go crazy eating the same thing all the time.

If you're not a "vegetable person" there are a number of recipes sources out there that will give you recipes where you can "hide" vegetables. Might be a starting place to help you increase them. Also, a kitchen scale is a great resource. One of the things about myfitnesspal is that you can enter what you put in something for a recipe and it will give you the calories in it as long as you divide it by the number of portions.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options

I copy/pasted for you

Bicycling, 12-14 mph, moderate (cycling, biking, bike riding)

15 minutes (I dont have a speedometer so I just estimate how fast I am going based on how fast my legs are moving and my experience with my stationary bike...)

266 calories burned

Swimming, leisurely, general (I actually am swimming laps back and forth across the swimming area but not freestyle more like a breast stroke)

60 minutes

797 calories burned

Swimming laps, freestyle, light/moderate effort This is the time I spend doing interval-type training. I swim slowly backwards way out beyond the swim area, so I can work different muscles and then when I get far enough away I sprint swim as fast as I can (and I am pretty fast for a fat girl) until I get back to the swim area. I repeat this 3-5 times and this is how I log it.

15 minutes

233 calories burned

Does that make sense? How far off do you think it is?

Swimming, treading water, moderate effort

15 minutes

133 calories burned

Bicycling, 10-12 mph, light (cycling, biking, bike riding)

20 minutes

266 calories burned

I've used both MapMyRide and my fitbit to estimate cycling, and even the "moderate" pace is *really* fast, and going that same pace the whole time. That would be the equivalent of a road rider going fairly fast without stopping. Plus if it's a stationary bike (wasn't sure?) you'd likely burn less. I don't know, maybe I'm just super skeptical on MFP measurements, they always seem really high for mine too! :)

Swimming I have no clue, but if those are right I should get myself to the pool!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for quick weight loss, there is a very easy way for you to accomplish it.

When I was 308 lbs. and could barely move, I initially decided to go "low carb" (< 75 grams a day) because I knew that the ongoing diuretic effect of a low carb diet would rid me of a lot of retained water which, in turn, would make me "light enough" on my feet to begin an exercise routine in earnest. Eating as many carbohydrates as you do, I can all but guarantee that you're still holding lots of water, notwithstanding your impressive exercise routine. Parenthetically, at 300+ pounds, it wouldn't be the least bit surprising if you were insulin resistant. Therefore, starting off with a low carb diet may also help you to restore hormonal balance and achieve a better body composition.

Both the physical and psychological boost that I got from initially going low carb and losing nearly 25 lbs in one month -- albeit mostly water -- was a major contributing factor to my eventual success.

Eight months and 100 lbs. later, I'm now thriving on a more balanced macronutrient profile: 36/28/38.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your calories burned as it is very high?

I was wondering that too. Those big numbers can be legitimate for some very large people. But most of the time those are numbers for athletes and people in really super shape. Possible you're using uncalibrated tools like a HRM or double-dipping by counting regular activities as exercise calories. Is that the case?

I see lots of bread, meat and dairy with little in the way of fresh fruits and veggies. Personally I'd consider gradually trying to reverse that and move your fiber goal to something more like 40g/day or more. But that's not supposed to be a necessity for weight unless, in the process, you end up eliminating foods you are allergic to. It's just better for your body and health- which is probably in large part why you're here.

Is it possible for people who are not my friends to view my exercise diary and go back and get an average of my food journal? I do weigh 293 lbs. And I swim every other day for about 1-2 hours (and I really do swim that whole time...I use a timer:) I also ride my bike and go for walks and very hilly hikes. I try to make sure that I do some sort of cardio every day... and I dont log things like cleaning or any other everyday activity... I am trying to be an athelete... does that count :D? I am busting my hiney trying to lose this weight. I am not screwing around! I guess that is why I am wondering why I am not losing faster. I do question the calories burned...I just use the exercise tracker on this site, and that is why I always try to stay well under my calorie goal for the day, which is generally pretty easy for me. Sometimes it feels a little too easy.

I say yay for you! I love people who bust their hineys!! If only I could give you a big hug and a high five! You've got heart and that's what matters! Of course you want results instead. I say, good on you!

I can only really offer the obvious. Perhaps you may want to adjust your calorie goal to the BMR of your goal weight instead of your current weight. You may want to get a good HRM and calibrate it for more reasonable guestimates of your cardio effort. Food allergies are common and many with them can loose 10-30lbs of stubborn weight when they eliminate the allergen. Sometimes high stress and poor sleep quality can reduce recovery time and weight loss. Perhaps those are some things to look at.

Keep plugging. You're gonna make it. Stay with it!!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I definitely think prepackaged meals are not the greatest route to take, try to eat more natural and I don't think butter is the enemy, all that fake stuff is. I would NEVER advise eating PAM on your toast as if it's a food. PAM's propellant is the same stuff they use in plane deicer machines, I again would not mistake it for food.

Do you have a HRM? Are you using that to track your calories? I think it's one of the more accurate ways to get your calorie burn.

Good luck!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Try making more home made meals. I don't really know what the Spinach and Ricotta bake looks like, but you could easily make a crustless quiche and fill it with veggies, chicken, etc. It will have less carbs, more protein and you know exactly what goes in it.

Try to stick to lean meats like chicken, lean ground turkey, etc. Get more veggies.

With your meals, you seem to make Dinner the biggest meal, try spreading it out, like have 400 calories each meal and then you have 560 for snacks which could be nuts, fruit, greek yogurt, seeds, etc. Even though dark chocolate and peanut butter has it's health benefits, but buy your own peanut butter without the added oils, sugars, salts, etc. Spread it on fruit, or buy an 85%+ dark chocolate bar, make sure it's small bars and not big blocks lol. I spread it on dark chocolate and it contains healthy fats.

I also noticed you had a turkey burger on Tuesday. I make my own turkey burgers every so often, I use lean ground turkey mince, add a few breadcrumbs, making sure it's not too much. Add some mustard powder, onion powder, some herbs, add a little olive oil in the frying pan and cook both sides making sure it's in the shape of a patty and isn't going to fall to pieces. If we are having a BBQ, we put it on the BBQ and it comes out great. It's really low in fat, high in protein. I usually put in a wholewheat bun and add cottage cheese instead of the plastic cheese slices. Add some lettuce, tomatoes, etc. Make yourself some homemade wedges, fries, etc out of sweet potato or regular potato. I tend to stick to around 150g of white potato. If you also enjoy a salad, make a salad with it.

For pizza's, if you can get it where you live, Warburton's Square Wraps, make a pizza sauce out of passata, some herbs, garlic powder, add some veggies (i enjoy mushrooms, bell peppers and onions), put on some lean meat, add a bit of grated cheese, not to much, I try to stick to 25g and it usually spreads nicely. Put it under the grill and it comes out at around 500 to 600 calories for the whole thing and it really doesn't look like a pizza lol. The wrap is just filled to the top with ingredients.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

You know what they say...in every ton of herp a derp there is a kernal of truth... lol
    Ummm...how can I tell if I have any lean body mass...? my fingers and toes are pretty lean but I dont expect that they weigh much. The rest of my lean is covered with squish...

Here is another link to a site with pictures of estimated bf%. Find the one you feel closest resembles your body type, then subtract that percentage from your body weight and that should get you close to your lean body mass number.

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

I copy/pasted for you

Bicycling, 12-14 mph, moderate (cycling, biking, bike riding)

15 minutes (I dont have a speedometer so I just estimate how fast I am going based on how fast my legs are moving and my experience with my stationary bike...)

266 calories burned

Swimming, leisurely, general (I actually am swimming laps back and forth across the swimming area but not freestyle more like a breast stroke)

60 minutes

797 calories burned

Swimming laps, freestyle, light/moderate effort This is the time I spend doing interval-type training. I swim slowly backwards way out beyond the swim area, so I can work different muscles and then when I get far enough away I sprint swim as fast as I can (and I am pretty fast for a fat girl) until I get back to the swim area. I repeat this 3-5 times and this is how I log it.

15 minutes

233 calories burned

Does that make sense? How far off do you think it is?

Swimming, treading water, moderate effort

15 minutes

133 calories burned

Bicycling, 10-12 mph, light (cycling, biking, bike riding)

20 minutes

266 calories burned

I've used both MapMyRide and my fitbit to estimate cycling, and even the "moderate" pace is *really* fast, and going that same pace the whole time. That would be the equivalent of a road rider going fairly fast without stopping. Plus if it's a stationary bike (wasn't sure?) you'd likely burn less. I don't know, maybe I'm just super skeptical on MFP measurements, they always seem really high for mine too! :)

Swimming I have no clue, but if those are right I should get myself to the pool!

I'm going to say that I agree that the estimates for the calories burned on the bike are too high. 266 calories in 15 minutes on the bike is probably closer to 150 (just my opinion). On the swimming, the calorie burns are probably accurate if you do it non-stop, but if you are taking breaks and resting, they are probably on the high side. I don't remember if you said anything about a heart rate monitor, but that is a great way to assess your calorie burn.

At the end of the day, if you are satisfied with how you feel and aren't getting stressed out about the scale.....don't worry too much.
  • Katalyst77
    Options
    Well thank you all! So here is what I am taking from this thread.
    1. Watch my sodium...but dont obsess about it and drink lots of H2O.
    2. Limit buying the frozen meals (even when they are on sale and I have coupons...) and if I do buy them pay attention to sodium.
    3. Get myself a HRM or fitbit as soon as I can. Have to wait on that till I start working again this fall.
    4. Dont ask for advice on naughty days when you have eaten nothing but crap...duh.
    5. Stick with fresh food, fruits, and veggies.
    6. Keep on going with what I am doing physically and estimate as close as I can with the burn...maybe use a few different websites and take an average of them?
    7. That there are plenty of people out there who are willing to take a few minutes and help you out! Thanks again! I appreciate it very much!

Hugs to you all!