eating too few calories

Options
Okay, so I have been journalling everything that I eat for the past 3 weeks. I have also started to only eat until I'm satisfied and not overly full, but now I am noticing that I am not eating enough calories in my day. I am suggested at 1200 for my weight loss goal, and I have been burning on average 500 calories a day through my work outs, and in total I'm only eating 750-800 a day before burning the calories through work out.

In total I'm really only keeping 300 or so calories, I know this isnt healthy but I'm not sure what to do because I don't want to start over eating again, any suggestions?

Replies

• IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Only way anyone will be able to help is to see what kinds of food you are eating. You may have to open your diary for folks to review.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand what you mean by not wanting to "start over eating again." If you think you haven't been eating enough, then start eating more. Like right now, if you've only eaten a couple hundred calories today, go eat something.

EDIT: HOLY HELL I AM AN IDIOT. I cannot believe it took me an hour to understand the phrase "overeating." (I was reading it as "start over" rather than "over eating.") Sorry!

Now that I know what in the world you're talking about, I can actually help, haha. I had the same problem when I started; I didn't eat more food in terms of volume, but the healthy stuff just doesn't have the calorie content Doritos and whiskey do. What I eventually learned to do is to add more calorie-dense ingredients to the food I was already eating. So, for example, I used to make tostadas from a baked corn tortilla, chicken breast, homemade salsa, and lettuce. Now, I also include black beans, avocado, sour cream, and cheese. It's not really much more food, so I don't have a hard time eating it all, but it really bumps up the calorie content.

Try figuring out your preferred/natural eating rhythm as well before you make a lot of changes. I do best eating twice a day, with only coffee and maybe a piece of fruit in between. Once I figured that out, it was much easier to plan my meals without being afraid of eating too much. So whether you're a 6-times-a-day person or only eat a couple times, make your meals fit what you prefer.
  • wswing
    wswing Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are going through. I joined mfp about 3 weeks ago and had a hard time eating all my calories...especially the exercise calories. It seemed counter productive to me but since I have had no success on my own I have been going along with it. I am down 5 pounds and can't believe it. I wasn't able to do it on my own because I was eating too little.
    Just try to eat all your calories and half your exercise calories...it really does work!
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I have been journalling everything that I eat for the past 3 weeks. I have also started to only eat until I'm satisfied and not overly full, but now I am noticing that I am not eating enough calories in my day. I am suggested at 1200 for my weight loss goal, and I have been burning on average 500 calories a day through my work outs, and in total I'm only eating 750-800 a day before burning the calories through work out.

In total I'm really only keeping 300 or so calories, I know this isnt healthy but I'm not sure what to do because I don't want to start over eating again, any suggestions?

I have a similar problem... not quite as extreme...

I'm supposed to eat 1800 caolories to lose weight and I'm only eating about 1500. The weight is coming off (I'm almost at my goal) but i'm concerned that when I get to 'maintenance' I'm going to be expected to eat 2300 calories or something!!!

I just can't eat that much... or at least I don't know how to eat that much.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I only went back about 3 days in your diary, but you can easily add a few hundred calories. Get rid of that reduced fat peanut butter. One of peanut butter's main benefits is its healthy fats. Get some whey protein to put in your smoothies. Avocados are good on sandwiches. Snack on peanuts, almonds, pistachios, etc. Cook eggs and meat with olive oil. These are just a few examples.
  • misskristy30
    Options
    Avocado is a good idea. High in calories and good for you. :) Also, try snacks between meals.
  • TayPat24
    TayPat24 Posts: 131
    Options
    okay thank you all :)
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    yes, definitely agree with other comments, like nuts and avocados. It is all about choosing the right fats and calories to eat. Good luck!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Google calorie dense foods x
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I just can't eat that much... or at least I don't know how to eat that much.
    Drink it then - double vodka = 140 calories
  • stargazer008
    Options
    You could eat nut butters to boost your cals like a slice of bread tends to be 100 cals and if you add 2 tbsp of a nut butter, you have about 300 cals. You could add more to what you eat so double up on some portions. Eat dried fruits which tend to be cal dense.

Or workout less.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Check your diary and see where you're low on calories. Low on protein? Eat more protein... get a protein powder if you have to. Low on fat? Add olive oil to your meals, eat peanut butter, snack on avocado. Low on carbs? Have some fruit, veggies or something starchy like pasta or potato.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    it's about balance. you didn't get overweight by under-eating, so don't try, JUST DO eat up to the 1200calories. you have this tool, you can read a food label, you will be just fine.
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do to up my calories:
    eat a hard boiled egg for 70 calories
    add coconut oil to coffee or protein shake for 120 calories
    100 calorie pack of natural almonds
    1 oz of cheese- around 100 calories
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Don't just up your calories...up your deficient nutrients. Is there any reason why your current protein levels are so low? If you eat and like pork loin (as per today's diary)...eat a bigger slice.(and measure your portion sizes for accuracy)...a 50 calorie slice of pork loin like you recorded is not much meat.
  • OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i agree 50 calorie of pork loin is nothing really. i just noticed that you are working out A LOT which is good but u def. need to eat some of that back!
  • sdps745
    sdps745 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely MORE protein & less carbs. Nuts are a REALLY GREAT source of necessary fats, nutrients and calories. JUST 1/4 of a cup of mixed raw nuts, no added salt, is about 175 calories and you can carry them around with you anywhere for anytime you get hungry away from home. (If you find your stomach is growling, eat, because your body is asking for nutrients to function. Don't let your body look to itself for energy...Give it the energy and nutrients it's asking for!!) Lean meats and fish are great sources of protein. If you like salmon, it has the good-for-you fats along with the protein or even protein powders and/or shakes. Pure Protein brand shakes taste great or DaVinci Proteins...DaVinci Chocolate protein powder is a quality protein and yummy too. And get those green veggies too! BEST of LUCK!!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some good advice here. Don't be afraid to eat, hon. I understand the fear that you'll slip back into old habits, but ironically the fastest way to make sure that happens is to deprive yourself too much. You'll either end up bingeing or you'll end up with an eating disorder. You're working out so thats good! Now eat MORE protein, eat at least some of your exercise calories, and you'll be happier and STILL lose weight. I've lost all my weight eating around 2000 cals a day--you have to do something reasonable that you can maintain. Food is NOT your enemy. Food is for fuel and for pleasure, and you CAN lose weight without starving yourself. There's just no reason to suffer. Best wishes to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    pretty simple. eat more calorie dense foods. You MUST feed your body properly. Easy ways to add calories to your day -- nuts, peanut butter, avocado.... keep your protein intake up. It's about feeding your body right, not just about being under your calorie goal.
  • TayPat24
    TayPat24 Posts: 131
    Options
    my problem with protein is I really don't like meat and I havent really tried Tofu yet, which is next on my list