When do you call yourself a runner?

Options
I have just gotten into running within the past few months. I ran my first mile ever in April before doing a dirty girl mud run. Then I stopped running. Now I am up to running 2.5 miles nonstop on my treadmill, mix in a bit if walking when on the road. Anyways, I still consider myself someone that is learning to run. At what point did you consider yourself a runner? What was the turning point for you?

Replies

• camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    First time I won money in a race. :)

But really... that's a tough question. I think I just called myself a runner from the start and focused on trying to live up to it.

I think I'm comfortable with that appellation now because it does truly -- to an extent, anyway -- define my life. I plan my whole week around running, plan runs (races anyway) months in advance, etc.. Maybe the most significant thing for me is that getting better at running is actually more important to me than losing weight. For the past 9 years or so, that's something I haven't been able to say very often about anything.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My first goal is to run the 2.35 mile circuit without stopping. The hills kill me. I can run longer on my treadmill, but I want to hit that distance outdoors. I think in my mind I will consider myself a runner when I conplete my first 5k. Right now, I am enjoying endomondo and beating my time every time I run.

Great loss btw. You are inspiring!
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    A runner for me is anyone who runs regularly. I run nearly every time I'm in the gym therefore I call myself a 'runner'. Longest I've ran continuously is 3k.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Read my ticker....

But I think when I got to the point in C25K when I was running straight without walking, I considered myself a runner.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Never done a race but I LOVE to run! I only run 3-6 miles at a time and I don't usually run the entire time without walking for a min. I still call myself a runner because... I love to run!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    If you can run more than 50 yards without falling over then you're a runner :wink:
  • CassieLOL
    CassieLOL Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think anyone who enjoys running or just keeps up with running on a regular basis is allowed to call themselves a runner! I used to run in the gym as a warm-up but this summer I've started seriously training myself and building endurance. The most I've ever done continuously is 4.5 miles but normally I can do about 4. (:
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I call myself a runner now, but if I'm talking to other seasoned runners I make sure to add in "beginning" so that they don't get all excited only to hear that I'm still forcing myself to run and only half enjoying it. :)

As for running outside, the hardest part is going to be learning to pace yourself, IMO. I used to run on a treadmill back in high school, and the first time I switched to outside....I couldn't run hardly 3 minutes straight. Pacing yourself in wide open spaces is a little difficult at first, but it's well worth it! :)

Also--just remember, you can run as slow as you need to....your body will compensate and when you have caught your breath etc you will notice that your pace begins to speed up a little. I'm just now getting comfortable running 3 miles (outside with hills), and am starting to train for a 10k.

I say call yourself a runner whenever you feel like it, because you can run more than the average person! :)
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Do you run with out being chased by grizzly bears, zombies, cops or rabid dogs?

If you run for the sake of enjoyment or fitness, you are a runner.

Welcome to the club!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Usually too early in the morning, I call out "you are a RUNNER" otherwise, my butt likes to stay warm and inside.
    Sometimes when I want to stop, I say "Run you damn #&!%$ RUNNER"!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    When I started out... I used to call myself a jogger. I was training for a half marathon, running 3 x a week, and still called myself a jogger. I don't know when it happened, but all of a sudden it was like I felt I'd somehow arrived and caught myself calling myself a runner. (I think for me it was around the 20miles a week total mark - lol)

THAT SAID... I TOTALLY agree with ashlinmarie's ticker quote - speed, distance doesn't matter - you lace up and hit the road moving faster than a walk... you're a runner to me!

:drinker:
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I didn't think of myself as a runner until I ran my first hour non-stop- I just thought of myself as someone enjoyed running. Now I'm a runner. for some reason 5k distances weren't enough for me to make that distinction. Very strange!
  • tpittsley77
    Options
    Do you run with out being chased by grizzly bears, zombies, cops or rabid dogs?

If you run for the sake of enjoyment or fitness, you are a runner.

Welcome to the club!

For fitness, yes. I cannot say I am exactly enjoying it yet! Every time I am out there, mentally I am cursing myself out for deciding to take up running. Lol.... Then I hear the endomondo lady tell me my pace at my first mile, and it brings me joy that I am beating my last time. Then I get home and definitely experience that runner's high. Its the same with golf for me.

So at what point do you start completely enjoying it?
  • tpittsley77
    Options
    I didn't think of myself as a runner until I ran my first hour non-stop- I just thought of myself as someone enjoyed running. Now I'm a runner. for some reason 5k distances weren't enough for me to make that distinction. Very strange!

An hour nonstop? Holy lord I wouldn't be able to consider myself a runner for ever! Awesome job running!
  • tpittsley77
    Options
    I call myself a runner now, but if I'm talking to other seasoned runners I make sure to add in "beginning" so that they don't get all excited only to hear that I'm still forcing myself to run and only half enjoying it. :)

As for running outside, the hardest part is going to be learning to pace yourself, IMO. I used to run on a treadmill back in high school, and the first time I switched to outside....I couldn't run hardly 3 minutes straight. Pacing yourself in wide open spaces is a little difficult at first, but it's well worth it! :)

Also--just remember, you can run as slow as you need to....your body will compensate and when you have caught your breath etc you will notice that your pace begins to speed up a little. I'm just now getting comfortable running 3 miles (outside with hills), and am starting to train for a 10k.

I so agree with you, pacing myself is hard, and I definitely think I start out running too fast and get winded quicker. I am at the point where I can take my first mile nonstop, then I ended walking for a wee bit before running again.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    oh another trigger was when I realized that I was getting cranky and irritable because I HADN'T gone running... when it seemed to become a NEED rather than an I have to...
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I call myself a runner as soon as my foot first hits the pavement :) time and distance don't matter
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." ~John Bingham

I know someone already said it but I just needed to emphasize it. Whenever I get down on myself or feel like i'm not fast enough or going far enough I remind myself of this quote. :smile:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I've run a 5-K, a 7-K, a 10-K, a 12-K, and a half marathon and am currently training for my second half marathon on Sep 2 (with a 5-K fun run on Sep 1).

I've had my running stride evaluated and bought shoes based on how my legs and feet need shoes to run.

I have the gear, hydration belt, wicking clothes, heart rate monitor, good socks, shot bloks for energy, etc.

I've yet to ever call myself a runner. I'll tell people that I run, or that I've done some races, but I've never once been able to bring myself to call myself a runner. I know that part of it is that despite all of the running and the training behind every race coupled with eating as cleanly and as well as possible based on about five bazillion different things I've read on eating while running for different distances and maintaining a supposed caloric deficit according to my BodyMedia Fit for the entire time, I've put back on 30 pounds since I started running/training for races, of the 50 I'd lost prior to starting running.

So I feel like some sort of fraud running freak and am convinced that people will look at me like I'm insane if I try to say the phrase "I'm a runner." Like they'll look at my fat legs and round middle and just laugh at the mere thought of me even trying to drag myself out on a trail or across a finish line.

On the other hand, I have a friend that started running about a month ago and tells everyone she sees now that she's a runner, and I don't fault her that at all, now matter how I feel about myself.

It's all in how you feel and what you consider yourself. If you feel like a runner, then you're a runner. :)
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Once you start running you can call yourself a runner.

Personally, I run close to everyday now, but when someone asks if I'm a runner, I say "I run" (I got this from someone else). Same thing goes for weight lifting. I personally don't want those to be defining qualities for me. There's nothing wrong with it, I just wouldn't want someone saying "this is ______, he's a runner".

As for how long it took to enjoy it, I'm not sure of the exact time I started to enjoy it, but I've been running for about 2 months now. I started at 2 miles and hated it. I'm up to doing 6 miles on the treadmill or 4.25 on the street and I enjoy running. I know some people have mentioned that you go from hating running to being addicted to it to enjoying it.

Once you start running farther, you can enjoy it more (even if you have to slow down to do so). The first .75 miles for me still is not fun, but once my body gets into it I can kind of get into a zone and just keep going. When I'm on the treadmill I have to force myself to stop at 6 miles because I want to take my increases slowly so as to not injure myself, but even at that point, I feel like I can continue running indefinitely.