When do you call yourself a runner?

Options

Replies

• markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    you are most definitely now a fcckin runner!! hell ya, congrats! keep it up, train hard, push yourself the extra half mile each time or beat your previous time by some seconds each time.. dig deep! you've chosen to put your feet down on that track on that pavement and kill your fcckn legs! you've already ran farther than the bccth *kitten* on the couch! be proud and fcck **** up.. Hollerrrrr!!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If you can only run for 30 seconds before wanting to kill yourself, you're probably a really bad runner, but still a runner.

So basically, if you run, you're a runner. :-p
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I think the turning point is the personal passion. I'll log about 6.25 miles 3 or 4 times per week but I only do it in intervals. I'll walk half a mile, then run a mile or two, walk some run some until I'm done. I still call myself a runner because I have a passion to run farther and faster.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    If you can only run for 30 seconds before wanting to kill yourself, you're probably a really bad runner, but still a runner.

When did you see me run???
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I think if you enjoy it and plan to keep doing it, no matter how slow and short a distance you go, you can call yourself a runner. I love to see others out running, no matter their size or speed, in fact especially when they are not super slim.

I realized I am a runner recently, even though I am slow, when:
    -my husband and I didn't go to a party on a sunday, because that is the day we take turns doing our long runs and we didn't want to miss out out running
    - we booked our holiday on the basis that we knew there was a nice national park to run in
    - I have no career plan, but I do have a 3 year running plan
  • shanndigity
    shanndigity Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    As long as you have 2 feet..you are a runner
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I think if you enjoy it and plan to keep doing it, no matter how slow and short a distance you go, you can call yourself a runner. I love to see others out running, no matter their size or speed, in fact especially when they are not super slim.

I realized I am a runner recently, even though I am slow, when:
    -my husband and I didn't go to a party on a sunday, because that is the day we take turns doing our long runs and we didn't want to miss out out running
    - we booked our holiday on the basis that we knew there was a nice national park to run in
    - I have no career plan, but I do have a 3 year running plan

Haha I love this. No career plan, but have a 3 year running plan. That is true dedication!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Do you run with out being chased by grizzly bears, zombies, cops or rabid dogs?

If you run for the sake of enjoyment or fitness, you are a runner.

Welcome to the club!

Probably this...

If you want me to run with you.. give a clown a knife and tell him to chase us! I hate running! LOL

LMFAO! A little Circus Phobic?
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    For me ... when it was zero degrees outside (Fahrenheit) and I was lacing up ... I knew :)

BUT ... I was before that ... and so are you :)

Ran a race on New Years... -40 degrees with a strong windchill. Thank god it was only a 5K and they had Starbucks and Cinnebonne at the end.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think you're a runner now!
  • rachgolds
    Options
    It's funny you ask that because I've been running for about a year and when I started I could barely run for a slow 10 minutes. Today I am training for a marathon and I just ran a personal far of 14 miles this morning, but sometimes I still don't feel like I'm a runner...go figure...
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    For me ... when it was zero degrees outside (Fahrenheit) and I was lacing up ... I knew :)

BUT ... I was before that ... and so are you :)

Ran a race on New Years... -40 degrees with a strong windchill. Thank god it was only a 5K and they had Starbucks and Cinnebonne at the end.

It was about 10 degrees Fahrenheit when I did the Yulefest 5k here in Boston. Then he had beer at the end. It was good beer, but I think that was the only time I have ever though "Coffee would have been so much better than beer." The race coordinator is promising a tent and hot beverages this year... And beer.
  • coreymo
    coreymo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Read my ticker....

But I think when I got to the point in C25K when I was running straight without walking, I considered myself a runner.

I like your ticker!
  • shoby68
    shoby68 Posts: 30
    Options
    I would say you are a runner when you are willing / wanting to run even when it is cold and wet.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    The second you lace up your running shoes and hit the road!
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE A RUNNER ONCE YOU RUN. EVEN IF ITS FOR 30 SECONDS OR FOR 3 HOURS. YOU CANT FAKE RUNNING. :tongue:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have just gotten into running within the past few months. I ran my first mile ever in April before doing a dirty girl mud run. Then I stopped running. Now I am up to running 2.5 miles nonstop on my treadmill, mix in a bit if walking when on the road. Anyways, I still consider myself someone that is learning to run. At what point did you consider yourself a runner? What was the turning point for you?

I called myself a runner from the start...when I started successfully. I think my mentality of "I should learn to run" left room for failure. "I am a runner" makes it a part of my identity. It's no longer something I aspire to do, and may do one day, it IS something I do. I may not run well, but I'm still a runner.

Some people may be more strict on what should be defined, but this theory worked for me :smile:
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ... When I lace up my shoes and head out! I am a runner (some days easier and faster than others, but a runner none the less!)
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    For me, I felt like a runner the first time (while completing C25K) I ran further than I was supposed to just because I wanted to.

As far as when you start enjoying it, I still hate the first .5-.75 miles, but after that I love it!
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The day you put on your shoes and starting running more than one step.