ketosis..whose with us??

Options

Replies

• Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    Ketosis is an Adtkins Diet thing, where you count carbs and not calories. Seems to be the opposite of this program, however it is whatever works for YOU. I tried Atkins and lost 15 lbs in about 3 weeks time. My problem is that it wasn't a program I could live with.

I have finally found that I can alter my lifestyle of eating and lose weight and maintain it. I'm not doing anything drastic so I don't have to worry about going off the program.

I def count calories, its more of counting carbs and high fat from what it looks like. I am looking at what Im doing as more of a healthy eating. I eat fruits and veggies and no sugars that arent from fruit....
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Seems to be the opposite of this program,

untrue. once you change your macros, MFP can work for a low carb diet too.
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    I guess all of these are about what works good for your body type. I have found that cutting dairy all together was great. I LOVE CHEESE and it was hard but it really was best.. Snacking on sugary things like poptarts was killing me too. I just really love the way I feel and love the slow transformation of my body.. (belly is changing and thats my least fav!)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    if you eat 1200 calories and burn 500 at the gym a day (except one day off) you can lose up to 7 pounds in a week. I did that but I unfortunately just gained the pounds back the following two weeks. :\

yep, because starving yourself is not the way to lasting weight loss.

and also carbs are not the enemy. Timing is important if you're going to eat starchy carbs. I did atkins several years ago. Lost 50lbs in no time. BUT it wasn't maintainable. Besides, your body needs a good balance of carbs/fat/protein. I like to eat High protein, high fiber. But I still am not eating that low carbs - although most of my carbs come from veggies. I had a lot of energy on Atkins but after I came off it for a couple weeks I couldn't go back on.... it messed with my stomach!
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I guess all of these are about what works good for your body type. I have found that cutting dairy all together was great. I LOVE CHEESE and it was hard but it really was best.. Snacking on sugary things like poptarts was killing me too. I just really love the way I feel and love the slow transformation of my body.. (belly is changing and thats my least fav!)

If you cut out cheese and carbs what's left to eat? Just nuts and meat? I would think cheese would fit right into a no carb diet.... just curious
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    It just didnt work for me. I have a tendancy to carry my dairy LOL.. I eat tuna, chicken, fish... nuts, fruits, veggies but dairy is no good for me. I actually started cutting it out months ago because I love sour cream and cheese... It might be good for the "diet" ( I call it eating healtier) but it doesnt work for me.
  • caraiselite
    Options

If you cut out cheese and carbs what's left to eat? Just nuts and meat? I would think cheese would fit right into a no carb diet.... just curious

dairy can make people stall :(

i eat lots of vegetables, pork, chicken, beef, and some dairy, nuts, and tons of eggs.

dairy messes with some people's stomachs as well :(
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    if you eat 1200 calories and burn 500 at the gym a day (except one day off) you can lose up to 7 pounds in a week. I did that but I unfortunately just gained the pounds back the following two weeks. :\

and also carbs are not the enemy. Timing is important if you're going to eat starchy carbs. I did atkins several years ago. Lost 50lbs in no time. BUT it wasn't maintainable. Besides, your body needs a good balance of carbs/fat/protein. I like to eat High protein, high fiber. But I still am not eating that low carbs - although most of my carbs come from veggies. I had a lot of energy on Atkins but after I came off it for a couple weeks I couldn't go back on.... it messed with my stomach!

I guess Im not really low carb either if Im still doing 55 carbs a day from veggies and fruits. I just dont eat processed foods. So, I guess Im "doing whats right for me" instead of ketosis lol.. that works :):tongue:
  • caraiselite
    Options

I guess Im not really low carb either if Im still doing 55 carbs a day from veggies and fruits. I just dont eat processed foods. So, I guess Im "doing whats right for me" instead of ketosis lol.. that works :):tongue:

55 grams is still low carb.. i'd say anythig under 80 is.
    but hey, you got the funky taste in your mouth, so you very well could be in ketosis even though you eat fruit and peas and stuff.!
    everyone is different.
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options

55 grams is still low carb.. i'd say anythig under 80 is.
    but hey, you got the funky taste in your mouth, so you very well could be in ketosis even though you eat fruit and peas and stuff.!
    everyone is different.

Its all good either way, today I had too much of EVERYTHING so I will be in the gym a lil longer tonight! I try not to "eat back" anything however, today I had an extra serving of fish and eggs from normal.... It will all work out :) gym gym gym :) a lil HIIT never hurt anyone :)
  • caraiselite
    Options
    yay working out!
    i don't go to a gym, i just dance around my room and go for a walk daily.

last time i lost 40 pounds.. and i didn't work out at all. i looked horrible at goal weight since i was 'skinny fat'
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options

There's a theory going around now that if you cut the processed foods and exercise you don't have to do much else. I'd love to see that one tested. My grandparents generation didn't have as many weight problems as my parents and mine. I have to wonder how close to the mark that theory might be.... but that's OT sorry I'll hush
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    yay working out!
    i don't go to a gym, i just dance around my room and go for a walk daily.

last time i lost 40 pounds.. and i didn't work out at all. i looked horrible at goal weight since i was 'skinny fat'

Oh yikes! You look good now :) I love the gym. I work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week and thats the one place I go and get away! I have slacked the past couple of days but am getting it in tonight! I always thought the days I went over would be because of sugar or something, never fish or eggs lol.
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options

There's a theory going around now that if you cut the processed foods and exercise you don't have to do much else. I'd love to see that one tested. My grandparents generation didn't have as many weight problems as my parents and mine. I have to wonder how close to the mark that theory might be.... but that's OT sorry I'll hush

I think Im down to cutting all processed foods but I dont really eat meats unless they are lean meats. I do work out from time to time but Im not a big trainer or anything so I guess we will see what goal I can reach by November :)
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    oh and my salsa addiction.. thats processed ....
  • slk17
    slk17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Absolutely the only diet that seems to work for me. I feel absolutely amazing!

I was inspired to give it a try after my sister dropped 30 lbs. A couple years ago my blood pressure was high and I was told to try a low sodium diet, which when on a low sodium diet what did I eat a lot of on top of salads? Pasta, rice, potatoes, and I just wasn't dropping any weight. It took me almost 8 months, with daily exercise to lose 20 lbs. I was frustrated and discouraged very easily.

I'm about one month into my keto lifestyle, and I fully intend to keep on with it because I'm feeling just so great. Minus the initial keto flu symptoms I had early on that I managed to power through, I've really never felt better. My energy is through the roof, and now I have the desire to actually workout, which I never did trying to follow a more low sodium diet. My body is thanking me in so many ways.

And of course it is inspiring watching the weight fly off. :)
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    Absolutely the only diet that seems to work for me. I feel absolutely amazing!

I was inspired to give it a try after my sister dropped 30 lbs. A couple years ago my blood pressure was high and I was told to try a low sodium diet, which when on a low sodium diet what did I eat a lot of on top of salads? Pasta, rice, potatoes, and I just wasn't dropping any weight. It took me almost 8 months, with daily exercise to lose 20 lbs. I was frustrated and discouraged very easily.

I'm about one month into my keto lifestyle, and I fully intend to keep on with it because I'm feeling just so great. Minus the initial keto flu symptoms I had early on that I managed to power through, I've really never felt better. My energy is through the roof, and now I have the desire to actually workout, which I never did trying to follow a more low sodium diet. My body is thanking me in so many ways.

And of course it is inspiring watching the weight fly off. :)

AWESOME!! Keep up the motivation and I know things will work out!
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am eating primal and was wondering what that nasty taste was in my mouth!

I just wanted to thank you for serving our country in Afghanistan. My husband has been a lot to Dubai, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar (and some of the "stans" as he calls them) over the last 4 yrs. But he goes on terminal leave as soon as he gets back next week and his last day is soon approaching Thirty years in the military has been a blessing as we've lived/traveled around the world.

Just wanted to personally thank you and encourage you to stay in, get your education, and travel.
    ( I know Afg. isn't exactly what you had in mind!).
    God bless you :smile:
  • Cuna77
    Cuna77 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    I am eating primal and was wondering what that nasty taste was in my mouth!

I just wanted to thank you for serving our country in Afghanistan. My husband has been a lot to Dubai, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar (and some of the "stans" as he calls them) over the last 4 yrs. But he goes on terminal leave as soon as he gets back next week and his last day is soon approaching Thirty years in the military has been a blessing as we've lived/traveled around the world.

Just wanted to personally thank you and encourage you to stay in, get your education, and travel.
    ( I know Afg. isn't exactly what you had in mind!).
    God bless you :smile:

Thank you so much. I got done with my soldier time a while ago and am now a contractor. I do this for my family and to support the war fighter now. :) I thank you so much for the post and blessings to you too :)