Do you like or dislike wolf whistles?

Options
So I live in a semi-red neck town (yes I said it), and I can't go anywhere without having some moron whistle out of his car or shout something stupid and/or degrading. I realized it has nothing to do with how I look but the fact that I'm a woman... I notice however on MFP that a lot of women actually enjoy this. SO now, out of boredom, I ask: Who here can't stand it? Who welcomes it and why??

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    it doesn't happen to me so i don't know
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Dislike it. Dislike it strongly.
  • theblitz
    theblitz Posts: 32
    Options
    when I was younger (young teenage years) I found it flattering. Now I live in a bigger area, and am grown up and have more self respect.Now I usually don't find it flattering. If it's a legit old fashioned "wolf whistle" Sure, I might find it kinda cute or funny especially if its done in a playful harmless way. But usually, it's crude or more like "hollering" which I hate. I especially hate men who take it a step further and try to follow you/get a reaction out of you. That's an invasion of my space in my opinion and it makes me angry. But I'm afraid to act angry because you don't want them to get pissed off at you for blatantly rejecting their "hollerin". So then I feel victimized and helpless, and as a woman, I hate that feeling.

So generally negative. Do not like.
  • iancranerocks
    iancranerocks Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It does has something to do with your looks and also your age. Even in a red neck town, it doesn't happen to everyone. For those who never get that kind of attention, it would probably be a little embarrassing, but welcome. For those more regularly objectified, I would expect a bit of resentment.
  • missworld95
    missworld95 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Today I was walking and minding my own business, some douche in his car literally stopped in the middle of the road and kept beeping at me to get my attention, when I looked at him he kept doing a kissy face... I don't know if he was trying to be cute or funny, but I flipped him off when I realized he was probably just doing it to piss me off...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it from my husband, but I think it's super creepy from strangers. Sometimes it's a little scary, especially if he's following you.
  • she_elf
    she_elf Posts: 108
    Options
    I hate them. It's just indicative of a larger problem in our culture where men think they're entitled to women's bodies. I used to dread walking home from middle school when I was 12 years old because of getting honked at, yelled at, and getting rude/obscene gestures made at me.

I like getting compliments. Actual, non-creepy, non-threatening, non-invasive honest compliments. Those give me a confidence boost. Getting hollered at, stared at rudely, whistled at, etc make me want to run home to a hot-shower and scrub my skin off with how disgusting it makes me feel.
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Dislike. Beeping and wolf whistles are not flattering to me at all. It makes me very uncomfortable. Gives me the heebie jeebies.
  • iancranerocks
    iancranerocks Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Guys that do that are so immature that they, believe it or not, are actually hoping to get somewhere with you. Flipping him off was probably a good move, otherwise dudes like that are likely to continue to pursue you on the outside chance of having sex.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Only weenie guys that are too wussy to approach a woman resort to wolf whistling. I don't care for it at all.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I am not a dog. I do not respond to whistles.
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I hate them. It's just indicative of a larger problem in our culture where men think they're entitled to women's bodies. I used to dread walking home from middle school when I was 12 years old because of getting honked at, yelled at, and getting rude/obscene gestures made at me.

I like getting compliments. Actual, non-creepy, non-threatening, non-invasive honest compliments. Those give me a confidence boost. Getting hollered at, stared at rudely, whistled at, etc make me want to run home to a hot-shower and scrub my skin off with how disgusting it makes me feel.

Oh my gosh! I had the same thing. My sister and I would get honks and shouts from grown men when we were 11 and 14 (respectively) when we would ride our bikes/walk. (And no, we were not inappropriately dressed during these incidents.) It always scared me then, and at 23, it still scares me a little.
  • chris82horseman
    Options
    A wolf whistle always makes me smile.

Just the same as someone saying you look great today but just said in a different way.
  • Substances
    Substances Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It depends.
    If it's just a wolf whistle, it's fine, it's sort of flattering.
    However, if it's a wolf whistle followed by degrading comments and or gestures, I get kind of scared and tend to pick up the pace a bit.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt mind it......but not from rednecks or the like.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I hate them. It's just indicative of a larger problem in our culture where men think they're entitled to women's bodies.

I ALSO HATE THEM!!! I don't care if they're meant to be "complimentry" or just meant to mock the target, nothing will drive a woman away faster!

And the previous posters are right, it's all about getting attention/getting a reaction. The best way to deal with these morons is to completely ignore them.
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hate it. It disgusts me.

How bloody rude to think you have the right to pass judgement on strangers, and then to loudly share that in the street? I'm not here for your approval, or otherwise. It's creepy and possessive.
  • alliwithaneye
    alliwithaneye Posts: 163 Member
    Options

THIS! I totally agree. They have always made me feel gross and uncomfortable. I know that is one reason I started to gain weight. I felt like if I put on the weight they would ignore me more. It worked but I am not going to let it get to me anymore. Those dudes are just egotistical morons who should be ignored or told that it is offensive.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Howllll...sorry i am a wolf
  • Miss_Ever55
    Miss_Ever55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't mind a whistle or a honk, specially if he's cute! But much more would just be creepy!